Gigabit Internet Speedtest

Caporegime
You'd hope that people opting for gigabit+ internet services would have specific applications that they need that sort of connection for, at which point it's easy to verify if the service is working as expected (you just use one of those applications). If I bought a 1Gbps connection because it was only £5 a month more than 500Mbps then I'm not sure I'd be too worried if it 'only' ran at 850Mbps on random speedtest servers.

No, it's all about 'getting what you pay for' even if they're trying to run speedtests on old iPhones connected to a 2.4Ghz wifi network.

Honestly if an ISP made a site that just matched the IP address against the service/speed, it'd play a little graphic to simulate a speed test and show the 'correct' result most people wouldn't even notice. I've had people ask what's the point of having 1Gbps if they can't get it on a single WiFi device, I don't know, you paid for it!

Caporegime
One of the biggest uses I can see domestically for ultrafast connections is for getting hold of game patches quickly - thinking of things like Call of Duty which can be 70GB+ easily, though the distribution has a way to go here as the content servers can never really keep up with the connection speed. It would be nice if Sony/Microsoft would consider peer-to-peer distribution similar to how Windows Update can work.

TJM

TJM

Associate
I thought that Hyperoptic's 1Gbps symmetrical service was overkill but eliminating the nuisance of large game downloads and cloud backups saturating the connection makes it worthwhile. As very few providers can match the connection speed, there is always something left in the tank for other uses.

But, yeah, I don't care about whether the line can push/pull 110MB at all hours of the day. Even half of that is more than good enough.

Soldato
OP
But, yeah, I don't care about whether the line can push/pull 110MB at all hours of the day. Even half of that is more than good enough.

I'm only on 1 Gbps service temporarily whilst the coronavirus is forcing many to work from home, the ISPs are giving it to everyone temporarily for free, when its all over my speed test will go back to...

9183086000.png

My download speed will be...

yVWyPsv.png

Soldato
OP
Well I'm paying for a gigabit service now with a different provider. My temporary gigabit service ended around the beginning of 2023. Went back down to what I've posted above. Still plenty fast enough to be honest.

Now getting download speeds of up to 112 MB/s again from services such as the EA App.

zmketqg.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom