Gigabit Internet Speedtest

Caporegime
This could just be local congestion, GPON is 2.5Gbit downstream 1.25Gbit up within the same PON and you can split this out to upto 128 ONTs. If he’s in a building or area with a lot more subscribers it’s possible it’s just that

Have him run a test at 3AM and see if anything looks different?

Seems a bit too consistent to be congestion but it is possible, especially as they've upgraded everyone. It could be that he's on a port with loads of other customers and the OP's port isn't as congested.

Caporegime
Yeah as above, Fast.com is a Netflix speed test and if your ISP is reasonably large then they will have on-net CDNs - there's no public transit visible on the traces between my BT connection and Akamai, for example.

I've seen providers that just shove everything that is destined for the Internet out of Cogent transit and the quality of the link is just awful.

Soldato
OP
Just an update, he replaced both the CAT 5e cable to his PC and the CAT 5e cable between his ONT and Router with CAT 8. That made no difference. The ISP have been in touch via email and want him to send the downstream information from the Router.

I’ve got a similar Router to him and we both can’t find the downstream information anywhere in the Routers setup. So he’s replied to their email and we await further responses.

Soldato
OP
I’d have thought the downstream information would be on the ONT but as far as I know you can’t login into it.

The so called “router” is basically a wired/wireless access point and it doesn’t do any routing it just sends the data out over the WAN port to the ONT/Gateway which handles the routing.

Caporegime
Have you done the basics and just plugged a PC into the ONT and tested from there?

How about setting an alarm to get up at 4am and testing when the rest of the network is going to be really quiet - assuming that getting back to sleep isn't usually too much of a problem.

Soldato
OP
Had a message from my brother this morning. He's switched off the ONT switched off the Router switched it all back on then done a factory reset on the Router and set it all back up again and now his speed is what it should be...

zbkM9Rz.png

Soldato
OP
I don't understand why you would comment if you're not qualified or don't understand as it leads to misinformation being spread around forums.

Well my original post linked to this result taken on the 07/10/12 but I edited it...

2226851026.png

I then got another result from someone else dated 13/01/13 which proves it could handle 1 Gbps...

2433820389.png

I didn't get onto the service until 10/08/18 and I was supposed to be on a 1 Gbps service for a months trial, however I didn't get near 1 Gbps speed.

7541043818.png

It wasn't until 28/03/20 that I was put on a 1 Gbps service again to help those working from home that I finally saw 1 Gbps speeds from my connection.

9200668831.png

So for some reason I wasn't getting near 1 Gbps initially when I was supposed to which led to confusion about whether I actually could.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks like two different threads have been rolled into one here. First problem I had was being unable to get 1 Gbps from my connection. The second was my brother was only getting 180 Mbps up and down until he did a factory restore on his Netgear router.

I have never done a factory restore on my router and have never seen speeds as low as 180 Mbps.

Soldato
OP
I believe he had restarted both the ONT and Router but hadn't actually reset the router to factory defaults.

Well it’s bad news it’s gone back down to the speeds he was getting the other day. Says it’s a pain to factory reset it because he has a number of other attached devices that need setting up again too.

Got to be the router or ONT surely there’s not much else it can be.

Associate
Thats the same speed i got back from speedtest the day we installed an upgrade to our campus lan.
We use it for a couple of thousand folk here, shame i cant have a gig just to my house though :)

Back
Top Bottom