Golf Thread

Soldato
Could be if your swing has changed so that your hands want to be at a slightly lower position at impact now, e.g. if your posture has improved or you are opening your hips properly at impact rather than trying to stand up

I'm about 6'3 and +1 inch always seemed a bit much for me over the years, usually +0.5 inch was the sweet spot when getting custom fit for irons
same 6ft3" and 0.5" for me always

Soldato
Could be if your swing has changed so that your hands want to be at a slightly lower position at impact now, e.g. if your posture has improved or you are opening your hips properly at impact rather than trying to stand up

I'm about 6'3 and +1 inch always seemed a bit much for me over the years, usually +0.5 inch was the sweet spot when getting custom fit for irons

Sounds like your bang on the money, I'm also 6'3!

Associate
18 holes today, fairly solid. On full greens and fairly bumpy so there were a few daft putts missed, hopefully they'll be better next weekend. Bit of a mixed bag overall but good off the tee and hit plenty of GIR.

Got a driver + fairway appointment at Scottsdale tomorrow which will be interesting to see what the numbers are like since my injury, hitting it solid enough overall so it'll need to be a significant improvement for me to spend the £££, new fairway wood is more likely at the moment than driver based on my shotscope stats but we'll wait and see

Soldato
Nice weather today - course still very wet in places.

79 scratch.... 3 three putts today :eek::eek:.... Early season greens... I average a 3 putt every 26 holes normally!!

Birdied 12th hole again today - that's two weeks running. Normally a par 4 is a great score there.

Soldato
18 holes today, fairly solid. On full greens and fairly bumpy so there were a few daft putts missed, hopefully they'll be better next weekend. Bit of a mixed bag overall but good off the tee and hit plenty of GIR.

Got a driver + fairway appointment at Scottsdale tomorrow which will be interesting to see what the numbers are like since my injury, hitting it solid enough overall so it'll need to be a significant improvement for me to spend the £££, new fairway wood is more likely at the moment than driver based on my shotscope stats but we'll wait and see

The one in Glasgow? - I had fitting there for driver last year - nice young guy, loads of options to try. And they build it there for you if you buy from them.

Associate
The one in Glasgow? - I had fitting there for driver last year - nice young guy, loads of options to try. And they build it there for you if you buy from them.
Yeah, it was good - I've had a few fittings before and I'm a total geek when it comes to all the tech and numbers etc. First time at Scottsdale and I liked their setup and the guys were all sound.

Straight off the bat the driver (stealth) was performing as expected and he said it would be difficult to beat. Tried a few combos and ended up with about an extra 5 yards carry but overall yardages and spin were very similar.

Fairway, had some good things going with the qi10 tour 5 wood lofted down, that thing is a rocket. Ai smoke max 3w and ping g430max 3w were good as well, all improvements on my current stealth 3w HL.

But the clear winner by a long way in terms of both launch and consistency was the qi10 3w with an Oban devotion shaft, so easy to hit.

Took the guy about 25mins to build it, pretty cool seeing it all done in the workshop.

Wallet says ouch though!!!

Soldato
Out for the Sunday round as usual, weather is definitely getting better, and also forecast to be raining by mid/late week, again.

My game is trash though, similar to Friday in that my Driver was on form, and my woods/hybrids aren't bad at all, everything else is just trash though. So annoying.

Got a lesson tomorrow, and another game on Tuesday (Cricket St. Thomas with the Mizuno Golf Pairs thingy), so we'll see how they go...

Associate
Feeling it this afternoon after carrying my full bag this morning and having got out for nine after work on Friday. Not much to write home about today but at least my driving was solid. Last couple of rounds it had been truly atrocious.

Putting was shocking, 42 putts total! The number of puts I left 3-4ft short and then left the follow up in the jaws :rolleyes: Irons had a bit of everything and to cap it off I accidentally played another persons ball after being let through. On the plus side I par'd the par 3 13th for the first time with very good two putt from long range :p

Soldato
Been struggling lately - my typical reliable tee shots have been awful. Coming over the top, taking chunks out of the tee box and skying it, to thinning with a horrendous slice :( and this is with a 3 wood! (don't carry driver)

Needing to work on it - I'm sacrificing a massive amount of shots, so some time on the range needed - especially working on shallowing my swing.

On the upside, my recovery shots are improving :p shot an 85 last time out. Any tips for drills to shallow my swing?

Associate
Any tips for drills to shallow my swing?
Get a card box and put it a few cm in front of your ball (i.e. perpendicular to your target line)

If you hit the box then you're likely going over the top. If you don't hit the box then your swing path is neutral or coming from the inside.

When I was getting lessons last year I was coming in quite steep and the pro showed me that drill with the box. Simple way to get feedback on your swing path and before long I was flushing it.

Either that or a gate drill with two tees either side of the ball again perpendicular to your target line

Last edited:
Soldato
I definitely think I owe my professional a drink. somethings really clicked now after all the hard work over the winter. 17 holes open and first stroke play (- 85%) handicap competition of the year. Came back into the clubhouse with a net 57. Good job I had the Club Sec marking my card or I think they might have lynched me. Gross 71 my best round ever.

Last edited:
Associate
I definitely think I owe my professional a drink. somethings really clicked now after all the hard work over the winter. 17 holes open and first stroke play (- 85%) handicap competition of the year. Came back into the clubhouse with a net 57. Good job I had the Club Sec marking my card or I think they might have lynched me. Gross 71 my best round ever.
That's brilliant well done!

Soldato
Just got back from a golf lesson, I'd had a fair few at a local shop on the simulator but never really 'fixed' the issue, I was still outside-in path and open club face no matter what I tried. Even got the R10 launch monitor to try and get numbers/try stuff at the range but still same thing unless I hit about a quarter swing at slow speed where I could force it inside-out but that's hardly realistic.

So booked a lesson with the PGA Pro at my local club, I'd had some group lessons with him ages ago and honestly wasn't sure but wanted to try different options/coaches just to see really so worth giving it a go.

He had me do two things, one was grip, something I've tried before tbh but a 'strong grip' never seemed to fix the issue and feels wrong/uncomfortable so I think I always revert back to 'normal', but the second thing was game changing to me...

He described it as turning the left hand at the top/start of the downswing so you can no longer see the knuckles. I think this is an extension of the wrist? The idea being to close, or pre-close the club face. He then had me do some drills so address the ball, go up to the top of the backswing, do the first 'quarter' of the downswing trying to do that movement and checking, before then actually doing a full swing and hitting the ball.

Everything goes left. Everything. This is so weird to me :p

Admittedly it's mostly pull-hooks and very much a work in progress but to consistently close the face and hit the ball left is bizarre.

He did describe this as 'phase 1', he wants me to get to the point of hitting consistently good contacts with the ball going left, even way left, and really get that muscle memory into place for that movement before phase 2 which is basically to get that weight onto the left foot/side and help straighten out that path (e.g. my path is still outside-in, but now with a closed face).

Finished off the 60 ball bucket after the lesson and did hit a few nice ones and they seemed really nice whilst still going left to varying degrees. Think I hit an 8i the best part of 150 yards which is pretty big for me.

So yeah, seems good so far! :D

Associate
Been struggling lately - my typical reliable tee shots have been awful. Coming over the top, taking chunks out of the tee box and skying it, to thinning with a horrendous slice :( and this is with a 3 wood! (don't carry driver)

Needing to work on it - I'm sacrificing a massive amount of shots, so some time on the range needed - especially working on shallowing my swing.

On the upside, my recovery shots are improving :p shot an 85 last time out. Any tips for drills to shallow my swing?

I had a case of flying elbow for a whole day last week. I'd start the transition with elbow out which would create all sorts of issues. Had to force myself to get back to keeping the triangle tight and slow down the takeaway and transition to get it back to normal.

Soldato

very nice - but holy handicap cut incoming!!!

Associate
Just curious as to what everyone does flag-wise when putting - in or out? Granted a lot of you guys play comps where you probably take the flag out but what about in just normal rounds?

We've always played with the flag in (in my 3 years of playing, mate has been playing a lot longer) but had one putt on Sunday that threw me right off and I'm solely putting it down to the flag being out. His ball was right on my line so he finished it off and I had about 6 foot to go - hadn't missed one from within that range all day - but he lifted the flag to pop his ball out and I had already started my process so I said for him to leave it out. I crumbled it and missed by a mile - the flag not being in absolutely rattled me to the point that it felt like I had no idea what I was doing. I seem to rely very heavily on the flag as a reference.

Soldato
Played the Golf Pairs thing at Cricket St. Thomas today, early start (alarm at 4:30!!) cause I got the tee time in a sale when it was £15. Ended up in a two ball, was supposed to be a 3 ball but the 3-ball ahead had 2 people not turn up so rather than merging into a 4-ball we split into 2x 2-balls which makes way more sense :p Got round pretty quickly all told.

Course was decent, good condition given the rain recently, bit soft in places but for the most part some nice bounce and roll out. Apparently they get quite windy sometimes being elevated a bit but today was lovely, sunny and calm.

Played ok to start off with but just fell apart on the back 9, got 14 points on the front 9 and 6 on the back. Ouch.

Given I had the lesson yesterday I basically ignored that for today, although I did feel my Iron striking had improved, not going left but much better than it had been so probably retained some muscle memory of getting the face closed. Putting was terrible. Driving went off the boil. Why do we play this terrible game :D :p

Just curious as to what everyone does flag-wise when putting - in or out? Granted a lot of you guys play comps where you probably take the flag out but what about in just normal rounds?

We've always played with the flag in (in my 3 years of playing, mate has been playing a lot longer) but had one putt on Sunday that threw me right off and I'm solely putting it down to the flag being out. His ball was right on my line so he finished it off and I had about 6 foot to go - hadn't missed one from within that range all day - but he lifted the flag to pop his ball out and I had already started my process so I said for him to leave it out. I crumbled it and missed by a mile - the flag not being in absolutely rattled me to the point that it felt like I had no idea what I was doing. I seem to rely very heavily on the flag as a reference.

Used to be in all the time, now it's out almost all the time, but kinda don't mind, as long as the flag stick isn't leaning towards me I'll leave it in if others don't want it out. Today's round and my usual bunch everyone is generally happy with it out so it was out all the time.

Boys, what’s a good launch monitor for taking to the range and hitting into nets? Need something sun and carry friendly.

Recently got the Garmin R10 for the local range, seems to work pretty well for the most part. Not tried it in a net yet though, I think for home stuff in the net you'd want to get the RCT balls for improved accuracy but dunno if I'd bother if you're talking about nets at courses for warmup?

There's other options as well, think the Rhapsodo MLM2 Pro needs the dotted balls for spin data though which doesn't seem great for range usage at least. @Zeebedy replaced his with something else didn't he? Or am I thinking of someone else...

Back
Top Bottom