Golf Thread

Soldato
Got these over the weekend, an ebay deal. £95 for all 4.
3hi, Project X 6.0 Stiff
4hi, Fubuki 60 stiff
3w, Speeder Stiff
XR16 Pro Driver, Speeder Regular but will fit my stiff shaft in

Should fill out my bag nicely. Frustrating one hybrid has a different headcover though!

Some outrageous golf on display at the Players and for it to come down to this for Clark to force a play off. https://x.com/ForePlayPod/status/1769486903328244086?s=20

I would have launched myself in that lake I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Over the weekend we had our Wales golf trip, bit of a trek to get back especially, 'only' ~200 miles but took like 5 hours, after a round of golf :eek: :p

We played three courses over three days, first time I've done that and actually held up better than expected physically, feet were quite sore by the end but nothing too bad and I feel ok today.

First up was Aberdovey on Friday, a 'proper' links. Weather was ok, bit of rain between the 2nd and 6th ish but then it dried up nicely, wind picked up towards the end but playing back in towards the club house it was always behind us at that point so all good. Really enjoyed the course, rough wasn't as punishing as we expected really, was nice to have some bounce and roll on the fairways, not seen that for a while :p There were some wetter bits, not surprising given the silly amount of rain we've had but overall it was great.

Saturday was Royal St. David's, which was a bit disappointing really. They did call the previous day to 'warn' us but 3 holes were closed (8, 9 and 10), one had a temporary green and a couple more had temporary tees that were way forwards, in one case a 200 yard par 4. Also on arrival they informed us we needed to use fairway mats, first time using them and the only one of the three we needed to, they suck. :p But yeah, overall just a bit disappointing overall especially as it was the highest 'ranked' and one I was kinda looking forward to the most. They did give us a complimentary lunch because of the course status but meh.

Sunday was Porthmadog, being ranked decided lower than the other two I think we all went in with low-ish expectations but I really enjoyed it. The first 9 holes are 'parkland' before the back 9 being 'links', the rough on that back 9 was very punishing and lots of blind tee shots, I think it felt like the hardest course but in a nice challenging way rather than being a slog. Loved it :D

I'd definitely play Aberdovey and Portmadog again, kinda not fussed on Royal St. David's, I'd imagine the latter is decent in the summer/not directly after a very wet winter but then it's also >£100 by that point of time (we paid £60 each).

And finally on a side note the food reviews :p
  • Aberdovey - Veggie burger, not bad but nothing special
  • Royal St. Davids - Lamb burger, very tasty, lovely chips and best coleslaw ever.
  • Porthmadog - Beef burger, also very tasty.

I guess that means Porthmadog wins? Good course and top notch food, the important things :p

Good time though, bit of a pain to organise and stuff but got there in the end and glad I did. Next up Portugal in Oct/Nov I think...

Soldato
Have you guys played at Aldenham? Any feedback on the course? Going to do a trial run next week for a potential membership.

Played there last year - the course is fairly tidy, not too hilly either. Some interesting holes, it has a short par 3 course as well. Guy in the pro shop was pretty friendly too.

It's technically my "local" course, as it's ~5mins from my house.

Soldato
Hey guys,

I have three spare Swing Weight Training clubs. Brand new, sent in error, so giving them away, only postage cost, which will be £8. @Maccy has given the go ahead, so if you would like one, its a first come first serve basis.

EtPzrmK.jpg

Cheers.

Associate
Played there last year - the course is fairly tidy, not too hilly either. Some interesting holes, it has a short par 3 course as well. Guy in the pro shop was pretty friendly too.

It's technically my "local" course, as it's ~5mins from my house.

Cool. Played northwood yesterday. despite conditions enjoyed the course a lot. Back 9 is very 'pretty' with a lot of nice looking holes and elevation. Most of the front 9 was pretty copy/paste.

Last edited:
Commissario
Well I had a bit of good fortune yesterday, I entered one of those silly online raffle competitions yesterday for a Taylormade Qi10 bundle...and had an alert last night that I'd won!

So a brand new Qi10 driver, 3 wood & hybrid plus 3 boxes of Pro V1's are on their way to me :D

Associate
Well I had a bit of good fortune yesterday, I entered one of those silly online raffle competitions yesterday for a Taylormade Qi10 bundle...and had an alert last night that I'd won!

So a brand new Qi10 driver, 3 wood & hybrid plus 3 boxes of Pro V1's are on their way to me :D
Wow, that's one hell of a win! Congrats!! Post pics once they arrive!

Associate
Over the weekend we had our Wales golf trip....
The amount of rain we've had on the west coast (probably all of Wales tbf) since last August has been unreal, so not surprised to hear. I haven't bothered going to my club for ages, it's a miserable experience currently; losing plugged balls in fairway/just off grinds you down and the round just becomes a frustration.

Soldato
The amount of rain we've had on the west coast (probably all of Wales tbf) since last August has been unreal, so not surprised to hear. I haven't bothered going to my club for ages, it's a miserable experience currently; losing plugged balls in fairway/just off grinds you down and the round just becomes a frustration.

I was quite surprised by how good most of it was really, even at Royal St. David's there was definiting bouncing/rolling down the fairways, but also points that were definitely on the soft side, or just plain standing water :p

Certainly way better than my local course was holding up before that point...

Back
Top Bottom