Golf Thread

Soldato
Is there anyone on here a part of Fore Business. I joined at the start of the year and have found it really good. Regular golf with new people at new courses too.

Hadn't even heard of it :p

Have you actually got any/much business from it (and if so, and you don't mind me asking, what field are you in)?

I assume you're a business owner/self-employed? Do you pay for it through the company? :p

Soldato
Well I had a bit of good fortune yesterday, I entered one of those silly online raffle competitions yesterday for a Taylormade Qi10 bundle...and had an alert last night that I'd won!

So a brand new Qi10 driver, 3 wood & hybrid plus 3 boxes of Pro V1's are on their way to me :D
Which firm was it out of interest, ive had a few pop up on adverts but you never know if its legit!

Soldato
Hadn't even heard of it :p

Have you actually got any/much business from it (and if so, and you don't mind me asking, what field are you in)?

I assume you're a business owner/self-employed? Do you pay for it through the company? :p

Yes we've had a few good bits from it. It took a little while as I think you have to be a bit consistent and build up a bit of trust.

My company is around Property Surveying, Valuations, EPC's and Retrofit etc. I've also met good people who have been really helpful with starting to grow the business too on just simple day to day bits and bobs. Yes it's paid for through the business which helps obviously.

Soldato
Out for a morning round today, tee'd off just before 7, finished at 8:15, lovely :)

Haven't actually played my local for a while because of my elbow, I'm now 99% sure it was/is from carrying not golf and my local has various 'stages' of carry-only policy over winter, currently it's 'carry if you can' so I could've used a trolley but try not to.

So instead of carrying a full bag I took my pencil bag with 4 clubs in it, I was quite tempted to just take a 7-iron, as in no bag just a 7i, glove, tee's, couple of balls and walk around like that but thought I'd take at least a few others just in case I got too frustrated with my 7i. The others were a putter (which I actually used) my hybrid and a 60-degree, the latter two didn't get used though.

Score wise it wasn't great (54, should be mid-high 40's for me) but that's not terrible, especially as my reasoning for taking the 7i out is because I suck at hitting it these days :p I think it's the point where my terrible swing starts 'not working' with an iron, my 8i is fine my 7i is junk. Even today I didn't hit one longer than 128 yards which is bad even for me, on the plus side I feel like I got more confident with it over the round and especially with shorter 'bump and run' type shots around the green which is a skill I didn't think I had, preferring to use my 54-degree almost exclusively.

Also putting was solid <2 putts per hole is always nice.

The past two days I've also been out on the range, I did pick up a Garmin Approach R10 and it works quite well, I was a bit wary because the balls at my local range are not the best quality and also very variable but it seems ok, maybe not getting the best spin numbers especially on higher spinning clubs like the wedges but overall it seems to be there or thereabouts with everything so that's nice. Hoping that can help me with my awful swing :p

Yes we've had a few good bits from it. It took a little while as I think you have to be a bit consistent and build up a bit of trust.

My company is around Property Surveying, Valuations, EPC's and Retrofit etc. I've also met good people who have been really helpful with starting to grow the business too on just simple day to day bits and bobs. Yes it's paid for through the business which helps obviously.

Do you by any chance have access to a 'golden ticket'... I might be interested :p

What level of membership do you have? Can you change easily as well, thinking Standard would probably be enough but not looked too closely at the options/benefits.

Associate
The range ball issue doesn't really get discussed enough imo. They use a weird, what looks to be semi custom Wilson staff ball at my range and it's disgusting. Hits like a rock and they're so difficult to flight properly. I once sacrificed 5 AD333s to the range to see just how poor the range balls where by comparison. Gained on average 14 yards of carry with a 7 iron and ball speed went up by 8MPH.

It's annoying. Ranges have up'd their prices to pay for TopTracer and the like but I'd much rather them invest in better range balls with a quarterly turnover for the battered ones.

Soldato
The range ball issue doesn't really get discussed enough imo. They use a weird, what looks to be semi custom Wilson staff ball at my range and it's disgusting. Hits like a rock and they're so difficult to flight properly. I once sacrificed 5 AD333s to the range to see just how poor the range balls where by comparison. Gained on average 14 yards of carry with a 7 iron and ball speed went up by 8MPH.

It's annoying. Ranges have up'd their prices to pay for TopTracer and the like but I'd much rather them invest in better range balls with a quarterly turnover for the battered ones.

It is a thing definitely...

The balls at my local aren't that bad in terms of distance, they go about what I think they should (at least by eye to the marker boards/targets, which I have zapped with the rangefinder to check), not the best feel but performance wise I think they're 'ok'. The issue with them though is that they're mostly a bunch of very old/worn srixon range balls along with some other range balls and an assortment of topflite/pinnacle/snell/<other crap brands are available> thrown in.

I've played with some of the workers there and the guys who work on the range do pick out the best balls either for the shop to sell or for themselves, they obviously leave the trash though, picky sods :p

I've also played at the Chippenham Golf Club range where the balls were kinda nasty, they have TopTracer and the distances seemed ok I guess. The Hambrook AG range though has (I assume by design) balls that go a noticeable amount shorter than 'normal', even with the 'adjustment' on the launch monitor thing they've got it just doesn't seem quite right.

Associate
Decided to bit the bullet and take out a full membership at my local club where I've been a flexi member the past year. No joining fee as I was upgrading, £142 a month and you can cancel at any time. You can get it cheaper by paying in one lump sum for the year but I wanted to spread the cost, especially as I've got a dodgy arm at the moment which isn't getting any better (fortunately it's not getting any worse either!

With a full membership you get reciprocal playing rights at the other clubs in the Maple Leaf group. One of which, Hill Barn in Worthing, sits other side of where I live on the south coast. As it's built on the chalk base of the South Downs it drains much better in the winter and having monitored on and off when my locals been closed they have been open. Happy days :) as long as you can get a tee time.

Soldato
Do you by any chance have access to a 'golden ticket'... I might be interested :p

What level of membership do you have? Can you change easily as well, thinking Standard would probably be enough but not looked too closely at the options/benefits.

I do have access so I can send if you are interested.

I started off as Standard but I've moved to a Flexi member now so I can play at an additional event at a different course once a month (You also get access to some bigger competitions). It's not cheap I think after VAT i'm paying just less than £120 a month but for that I'm getting the networking obviously, 2 rounds of golf (Both with pre round buttys) and an additional 4 ball at "my course" once a month which I can book whenever I want.

If you choose to be a Flexi member you have to give 3 months notice to back to standard or 3 months notice to completely cancel your membership.

Have you looked at what would be your local course - is it any good?

Last edited:
Soldato
I do have access so I can send if you are interested.

I started off as Standard but I've moved to a Flexi member now so I can play at an additional event at a different course once a month (You also get access to some bigger competitions). It's not cheap I think after VAT i'm paying just less than £120 a month but for that I'm getting the networking obviously, 2 rounds of golf (Both with pre round buttys) and an additional 4 ball at "my course" once a month which I can book whenever I want.

If you choose to be a Flexi member you have to give 3 months notice to back to standard or 3 months notice to completely cancel your membership.

Have you looked at what would be your local course - is it any good?

Ah right, Flexi sounds good then as the Bristol (The Kendleshire) and Chepstow (St. Pierre) nearby are pretty good, not played The Kendleshire but heard good things, played St. Pierre twice and it's good. My local looks to be 'Bath' which is Cumberwell Park (not actually Bath :cry:) which I've played a bit and I do like it.

Soldato
Ah right, Flexi sounds good then as the Bristol (The Kendleshire) and Chepstow (St. Pierre) nearby are pretty good, not played The Kendleshire but heard good things, played St. Pierre twice and it's good. My local looks to be 'Bath' which is Cumberwell Park (not actually Bath :cry:) which I've played a bit and I do like it.
You can try Flexi for a month for free as well so there's another freebie if you want to try it.

Last edited:
Commissario
wow man congrats. Did they custom fit them or just off the shelf?
Love it
All off the shelf but I chose a stiff shaft.

The driver is lovely and so much more forgiving with heel and toe hits, when compared to my old Calloway.
I’ll need to get used to the 3 wood and hybrid though, I got on well with my Pin g425 hybrid so not sure if I’ll keep that yet.

Soldato
Out for the usual Friday round today, didn't feel particularly confident the way I've been hitting the ball recently and maybe that wasn't the greatest of mindsets to start in :p

Driving was super solid today, hit a 232 yard (total) on the 3rd as my best of the day, not seen 230+ for a good while tbh, the ground was still pretty soft but some bounce/roll there. Most of my other drives were 200+ too so good day for that.

Everything else not so good, hit some nice ones but just scruffy overall, disappointing.

Soldato
I've noticed last couple of rounds holding pretty much all the clubs a little further down the shaft is making my ball striking much better. I got fitted for my clubs a few years ago and I'm guessing now my swing has completely changed that the extra inch on them might not now be needed?

Associate
I've noticed last couple of rounds holding pretty much all the clubs a little further down the shaft is making my ball striking much better. I got fitted for my clubs a few years ago and I'm guessing now my swing has completely changed that the extra inch on them might not now be needed?
Could be if your swing has changed so that your hands want to be at a slightly lower position at impact now, e.g. if your posture has improved or you are opening your hips properly at impact rather than trying to stand up

I'm about 6'3 and +1 inch always seemed a bit much for me over the years, usually +0.5 inch was the sweet spot when getting custom fit for irons

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom