Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Don
Not just about noise - 80 Plus bronze PSUs are available which may be a bit more efficient, especially at the lower % load that Microservers tend to run at

FSP250-50GUB(85) is another Bronze rated one

Soldato
P420 would probably use a good chunk of that - the heatsink isn't for show!

Not enough to heat the garage though! If I went for a Gen10+ V2, I'm thinking of going with Windows instead of ESXi so I can use the on-board VROC RAID. That also saves money on the E208i or faff time trying to get the P420 working.

Soldato
Was there ever a successor to these? I have 4 that I could do with downsizing into 1 as they are becoming a bit expensive to run, also worry that they are old now and could die soon.
There has been some new ones I think Gen 10 is the last one but might be a gen11 now.

I know a lot of people on here swapped to a Dell T20 as there was a blinding deal on it a few years back.

Soldato
There has been some new ones I think Gen 10 is the last one but might be a gen11 now.

I know a lot of people on here swapped to a Dell T20 as there was a blinding deal on it a few years back.
Thanks will take a look, arguing with myself to build my own with a case that can support 10+ drives, I currently have 16 x 12Tbs in 4 of them, and then a load of externals that run daily as back up. I have probably made it in a really inefficient way.

Don
Was there ever a successor to these? I have 4 that I could do with downsizing into 1 as they are becoming a bit expensive to run, also worry that they are old now and could die soon.
Yep Gen10 plus V2 but they are too expensive for home use really.
Gen 11 should be out soon, unless they've cancelled it due to poor sales (of their own doing by pricing it out of the enthusiast market the first models captured so easily)

Associate
yeah its how I got my microserver do wonder if I should swap it out, do have a rack mountable Synology 4 bay sat in the garage not doing anything

There must have been virtually no profit at all in the Gen7 I bought; I think it cost me barely more than £100. I'd be all over that even at two or three times the price today.

Soldato
I have 3 still plugging away, one running Xpenology and the other two with Windows on just providing network shares. They sit upstairs in the loft quite happy not being in the way. Fairly certain I paid less than £250 for the lot. I have the option of a Gen8 through work that I bought as a cheap machine to test new phone system stuff with that has been sitting in a cupboard for 2 years. Might have to finally take it home and sell it on.

Soldato
There must have been virtually no profit at all in the Gen7 I bought; I think it cost me barely more than £100. I'd be all over that even at two or three times the price today.
I bought my gen 8 for £100 with discount in 2014 and had win 7 and then win 8 - updated to Win10 a year or two ago but I don't think it will go to Win 11. Store all my photos on it (in a different area to main PC) and leave it off most of time. Just switch it on to transfer photos each month to keep a safe backup. Be lost without it. Used Windows Home Server for years till that became defunct.

Does anybody know if it supports Win11? Mel

Soldato
Matrox sound card?!

The Gen 8 was a wicked machine, I spent do much on mine, only reason I got rid was the RAM limitation, 32Gb would have done the job but 16Gb was a killer :(

I've got a load of 8Gb sticks that fit the Gen7/8 that I bought still, plus a couple of Quad/Dual NIC's, SAS cards and the Dell cables for them, I should probably have a clearout before it all becomes worthles..

Associate
I got rid of my gen 8 a while back, replaced it with a little beelink mini pc and a HDD dock. My gen 8 ran a xeon and 16gb of ram but was really showing its age, especially running vm's

Back
Top Bottom