• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Card Warranties (UK Only) - Let's see how good they really are!

Soldato
Yep, agreed. I just see graphics cards as a complex component, there’s lots of points of failure from the GPU itself to any of the memory chips, the voltage regulation circuitry and even the ports on the back or the cooler itself. Compared to say, a memory stick which has far fewer conponents i’d jusr rather have the knowledge that i’d get a hassle free replacement if something did go wrong.

Soldato
Yeah thats fair enough, different people have different tolerance for things like warranties, which is why we also have optional extended warranties been made available for lots of stuff as well.

Soldato
The cards are still good. But yeah, I'll be on my 4th 2080ti when this RMA comes back. Wouldn't want to be paying international shipping every time.

With my first card since it was within a month of purchase they should have given me a brand new card but they didn't, Citing stock, despite them still being for sale everywhere, but I'd guess it's internal stock. I got given an obviously used card with a few scuffs and scratches. When you have to RMA a brand new card that still has the plastic film on places, you shouldn't get an obviously used card back in my opinion.

I've heard things about them upgrading cards & providing extra warranty but who knows. This is the first time I've had so many issues with a GPU..

I could be incredibly unlucky so don't just take my issues as gospel, but I wouldn't be jumping straight to EVGA next time.

I wasn't impressed with EVGA's cards either their rep was making all kinds of extravagent claims on the forum but contact the dept direct and it was a different story. I've also had the same experience re replacement cards with Gigabyte. If you can find anyone that offers New for Old warranty you're golden but I'm not sure if any manufacturer does that warranty is certainly not all its cracked up to be.

Retailers may offer a straight new for broken swap but I'm not sure what the time limit is on that. Otherwise its a murky pool of shady practices honestly.

Caporegime
EVGA have been overrated for years, basically a yanks only brand that aren't really fussy about anywhere else. Just have to look at their eu store to see every card on "auto notify" as they can't be arsed shipping any to it.

Even looking on ocuk, out of the turing lineup the only sku they have in stock is 3 of this one, every other listing on the site has no stock. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-318-ea.html

Associate
If that happened to me, I know its aggressive, but I would have gone to the retailer, if the retailer then also refused a new replacement then its chargeback time. A month old card shouldnt be a used card in replacement.

When I sent WD my just over 3 year old out of warranty HDD, I got a brand new one in return, how it should be done when customer satisfaction is valued.

Aye. And I would if I could. The card was bought in the USA so it's not really possible. When I first started having issues, the UK EVGA return center was open and it wasn't that bad. It was one of those "It happens" situations, I get that there can just be general faults. Annoyingly their UK return center is in Preston which would have been maybe a 30 minute drive, but you can't do that, it has to be posted.

EVGA is Murica only now more or less, gave up on the EU. Was a EVGA fanboy, bought all their stuff, but outside of graphics cards and a few PSUs, that is it. Their EU store has been MIA for months now, screw them.

Yeah. I'm certainly not buying another EVGA card. Shame really because it is a good card.

Last edited:

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

Agree, 3 years should the the norm now. To me 2 years is like saying they don't believe in their own product.
Dyson did the same thing. I bought one with a 5 year warranty and phoned them due to something going on it, and they said “we’ve changed to 2 years”. Didn’t wash because I bought it with a 5 year warranty so they had to honour it. The things break constantly now it’s only 2 years. You’ve had 6 new hoovers in that time
So many parts break.

The only EVGA card I had was the 3090 FTW ultra. It suffered from power balancing issues so changed it through the retailer for the ASUS Strix and it wouldn’t have bought another EVGA after that. They were saying it was within spec and wouldn’t change it, luckily I buy quite a bit of hardware from the retailer I bought it from and they sorted it out.

They don’t make things like they used to.

Associate
The only consumer goods company that seem to offer long warranty is still Miele, unless I missed something. However, they do ask you to purchase at an extra cost the extended warranty for smaller appliances where they than offer 10y.
I think if we had something similar for GPUs people would actually buy that, certainly I would consider it.

Associate
I would like to see this thread re-done , it seems as though manufacturer's these days have really dropped standards , stuff that costs £500+ should have a robust and generous warranty.

Ive heard that manufacturers warranties are largely irrelevant anyway, as it doesnt trump the consumer rights act 2015, which states that goods must be of satisfactory quality which would include being durable. I would argue that a £500+ gpu that fails within 3 years is not durable. and would constitute a breach of contract. By the way your contract is with whom you paid the money, not the manufacturer , but the retailer. The retailer is suppose to provide a repair or replacement for faulty goods.

Associate
The only consumer goods company that seem to offer long warranty is still Miele, unless I missed something. However, they do ask you to purchase at an extra cost the extended warranty for smaller appliances where they than offer 10y.
I think if we had something similar for GPUs people would actually buy that, certainly I would consider it.

Quite common now for boiler manufacturers to offer 10 year parts and labor warranty’s nowadays. Worcester,Vaillant and Ideal all do them.

Soldato
Meh. You need to have a qualified engineer service the boiler every year for it to be valid. That moneys almost pays for a new boiler anyway. Lol

Yup, altho it doesn't have to cost that much. Well we paid around £50 as an offer from British Gas for a boiler check and service last year, warranty book for our four year old Baxi boiler stamped etc. Unless we can find similar offers at the time of the annual service we end up paying around £80 or so. It all adds up over the ten years of the warranty, but I suppose it ensures the boiler is running within its expected specs.
At least we are not forced to use, in this case, Baxi's own engineers to do the annual servicing.
It is what it is.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
Yup, altho it doesn't have to cost that much. Well we paid around £50 as an offer from British Gas for a boiler check and service last year, warranty book for our four year old Baxi boiler stamped etc. Unless we can find similar offers at the time of the annual service we end up paying around £80 or so. It all adds up over the ten years of the warranty, but I suppose it ensures the boiler is running within its expected specs.
At least we are not forced to use, in this case, Baxi's own engineers to do the annual servicing.
It is what it is.

Baxi support has definitely upped its game recently as well. Before you could be on hold for nearly an hour but called them recently and I was speaking to someone within minutes.

Soldato
Baxi support has definitely upped its game recently as well. Before you could be on hold for nearly an hour but called them recently and I was speaking to someone within minutes.
Perhaps it's down to an element of luck as well...? On our second year of needing a service the engineer noted some issues with the boiler. They were passed on to Baxi and the engineer visited within a day or two, the boiler still providing hot water at that point. Parts were changed promptly and all went well and has continued to do so.
I remember looking at the rated reviews over at TP, if you value that site, and Baxi, compared, as an example, to Ideal, seemed a decent enough choice.

The cost of the boiler tho........(still, I thought of it as "better" value than a GPU)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom