GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
I did think about that but they also said there was a scuff on the tyre (wheel untouched) so they will also be checking the alignment. Whilst I want it back, I've got the courtesy car now, so rather than complicate things by sending that back and then arranging to take it again later I'll just leave it with them until it's all taken care of.
Sounds better to keep the courtesy car. God forbit there be another accident whilst you temporarily have your car back, it would just complicate matters.

Associate
Well i've bought a pair of Phoenix gold ZDST6CS "plug and play" speaker kit last week as a treat, very similar setup to the focal but slightly cheaper.
Removing the front door card wasn't so bad, watching tweetbean video on how to remove the door latch was a lot easier to follow than most of the guides people made from the states. Definitely require a bit of force to pull them off the clips, anyway got the front speakers installed without a problem.
The tweeters was a bit confusing as I got a bit confused with a lot of the information posted from what i've found in the past from youtube, FB group and the forums since a couple of them "show" how to connect the tweeter + 3.5-4" speaker as well, but the wiring pinout definitely helped found on the forum.
So I bought a CT55-TY02 which confused me the most but it made a lot more sense after seeing someone having to splice the 2 red wire and 2 black wire together, then you can just go pos to pos and then neg to neg into the adapter.
This adapter pretty much has the wiring correct out of the box, which I did not see at all until after i've done all the splicing and connecting: Toyota 4 into 2 way terminal adapter
Got it all working now with the front speaker + tweeter together and my verdict so far they sound a lot clearer than the OEM speakers, a little bit louder at volume 2-5 which is what I normally listen at in a generic Eonon 10" android head unit, so overall i'm pretty happy with the setup so far.
I did also order a Nissen AC condenser in preparation to get my AC working before the summer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive been enjoying the BRZ but just wondered if its normal to have a "mechanical" reverse. I cant quite explain it, but in reverse it makes a mild whine/noise. My local garage says its fine, diff oil has been changed. Doesnt affect function, make sense at all?

Soldato
Took my 2018 BRZ to the guys over at Tuning Developments Ltd in Cheshire last week for a 4 year service (plus gearbox oil), and a baseline dyno session before I start the modifications later this year.

Great setup there, really enjoyed chatting away to Mike, that personable service goes a long long way in my book. Looking forward to seeing the back of the dreaded torque dip in the future
1f64c.png
1f601.png

AMWts8C_9SA4UHqbOHFNb74KOGq7iYiujMI1DmnHC8oGEtDENg_NlbiJDX1dN2xmjT9YZR_GK4mC-pZMMl7eipzct46_3XZjy6IvsnX1WgLu2pNVKVJZwfouFQZZA6LOiX3UHqXyVb9buT-fDROWCs4bbfcY=w1905-h1453-s-no

Soldato
@Conscript

Sorry to hear about the damage your new car sustained, can’t begin to imagine how deflating it all must have been.

Thankfully, despite some inconvenience it is all being put right but none the less, such thing is horrendous to happen.

If I re-call correctly didn’t you have something similar happen to your previous car, however in this case a football was involved? Or was it a Pumpkin (Something stupid) I’m thinking more Halloween and Pumpkin.

Unfortunately, like with most things when you go to extreme lengths to have something in tip top condition, spend lots of time and money on it and see it as your “Pride and Joy” these things become magnets for rubbish things happening :(

You could abuse it, not have a care in the world and it would repel any sort of damage…

Soldato
Yeah few years ago, some dickheads were driving around in the early hours the day after Halloween, stealing pumpkins and throwing them at houses and cars.
Took my 2018 BRZ to the guys over at Tuning Developments Ltd in Cheshire last week for a 4 year service (plus gearbox oil), and a baseline dyno session before I start the modifications later this year.

Great setup there, really enjoyed chatting away to Mike, that personable service goes a long long way in my book. Looking forward to seeing the back of the dreaded torque dip in the future
1f64c.png
1f601.png

AMWts8C_9SA4UHqbOHFNb74KOGq7iYiujMI1DmnHC8oGEtDENg_NlbiJDX1dN2xmjT9YZR_GK4mC-pZMMl7eipzct46_3XZjy6IvsnX1WgLu2pNVKVJZwfouFQZZA6LOiX3UHqXyVb9buT-fDROWCs4bbfcY=w1905-h1453-s-no
I know everyone's always like "needs a turbo, lol", but if you get a decent exhaust manifold and a tune that should be all you need to get rid of that dip, and that's all I think the first gen really needs in my opinion. Obviously, go for FI if you want much more power, but just flattening the torque curve really makes the engine more flexible.

Glad you had good service at TD...they used to have a great rep in the community, but then they got a panning last year...lots of people saying they were taking money then not delivering orders or refunds, not responding at all to emails and not answering the phone. I gather they might have been moving premises, seems like they've got their act together again though

Soldato
A heads up for anyone interested...several people have received an email from Toyota suggesting that there is due to be another allocation GR86 for the UK (I think those who had already signed up to the wisting list). I doubt it's going to be a huge amount more, as I believe the car still can't be sold here after 2024; but it's good news nonetheless. Will give those who missed out another chance to order, or at least, will help temper the prices of those that people have flipped for profit.

Soldato
I've replied saying I'm interested, but not sure if it's the route I want to go down. Spent a fair bit on upgrades to my current car and it's taken a long time for it to feel right for me and I could easily spend more with tweaks to the handling. The GR doesn't offer anything over what I have apart from it being newer, 10 years with this car has gone so quick. The Cyberster was the next consideration but that was to run along side the 86 (somehow) but with the rumoured 2.4t weight and 60k price tag, that's the same weight and cost as 2 new GRs.

Soldato
A heads up for anyone interested...several people have received an email from Toyota suggesting that there is due to be another allocation GR86 for the UK (I think those who had already signed up to the wisting list). I doubt it's going to be a huge amount more, as I believe the car still can't be sold here after 2024; but it's good news nonetheless. Will give those who missed out another chance to order, or at least, will help temper the prices of those that people have flipped for profit.

Good news...there are indeed some more are coming to the UK!
Bad news - they'll only be available by invitation, which I take to mean, they'll invite those already on the waiting list. Also, the price has gone up a couple of grand.

So not entirely relevant if you weren't already on the list, except that it might affect the price of those already being sold second hand. So if you're still after one, keep your ear to the ground.
Either way, glad we'll be seeing a few more coming, even if it's still not going to be big numbers. The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup I am apparently to far down the list to get an invitation, but they'll let me know if that changes, that'll teach me for dilly dallying on the first one I suppose.

Toyota said:
As you are on the waitlist, we wanted to let you know that we have recently received limited stock of GR86 in the UK. Based on your position on the waitlist we won't be inviting you to request a GR86 at this time, but within the next few months we'll let you know if there's a chance for you to make a purchase.

Still, it sounds like there might be further allocation at which point it'll no doubt have another price revision, not much out there like it but I may just change my mind and get a little sister for my NC, with an NDRF and be done with it.

Last edited:
Associate
I was considering selling my GT86 for a JDM import EP3 Type R,EK9 and WRX STI hatch to jump on the wagon of owning a "JDM" import and they all tick the requirement for slightly higher seating position to get in&out for my partner and also they are more "practical" with the boot space and for the odd times of carrying passengers.
But decided against it finally as its very rare I do carry passengers/family members and my car is mainly a weekend car.
I have decided to finish what I wanted to do to the car which consist of:
Coilovers -> I have ST XTA Coilovers on order at the moment, fancy going a different route than everybody getting the common recommended coilovers for the money(Teins)
Baffle sump plate& oil pickup
Oil catch can.
Routine maintenance and call it a day.

Soldato
I'm too far down the list too but apparently my local dealer will put in a good word if I'm serious about getting one (lol really).

Wouldn't mind giving one a test drive to see what I'm missing out on, but I'm really enjoying the power the supercharger is pushing and I've had a lot of safety modifications done including baffle plate, oil cooler and pickup pipe. Even if I factored £400/m the finance would cost for the new model, that's 5k a year I could be spending enjoying what I already have.

Soldato
I'm too far down the list too but apparently my local dealer will put in a good word if I'm serious about getting one (lol really).

Wouldn't mind giving one a test drive to see what I'm missing out on, but I'm really enjoying the power the supercharger is pushing and I've had a lot of safety modifications done including baffle plate, oil cooler and pickup pipe. Even if I factored £400/m the finance would cost for the new model, that's 5k a year I could be spending enjoying what I already have.
As you've poured so much time and money into the current car, I think you're probably best off sticking with it; with a supercharger, it will be more powerful than the GR anyway.

Official press release from Toyota. Ironically, showing pictures of the only colour they aren't offering this time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup I am apparently to far down the list to get an invitation, but they'll let me know if that changes, that'll teach me for dilly dallying on the first one I suppose.

Still, it sounds like there might be further allocation at which point it'll no doubt have another price revision, not much out there like it but I may just change my mind and get a little sister for my NC, with an NDRF and be done with it.
Got the same lol.

Soldato
Sorry for another really stupid question but when do you actually pay the deposit? I've gone through the Toyota site and can't find anything and popped into the dealer and they told me to go to the website. Is it shortly after placing the order or is it on collection of the car?

Caporegime

1f64c.png
1f601.png

He is known as one of the biggest cowboys in the Gt-Four world. Everyone avoids him. Only recently he had a guy's car for a year and he nearly ruined the motor.

Also I got this reply from Toyota on Friday. Foll me for not checking my emails. If I pay the grand deposit I will get a car in the near future?

"Hi Adam,
Great news! Following our recent email to update you that we have received limited stock of GR86, we are delighted to confirm that based on your position on the waitlist, you are now invited to request your very own GR86 online, for registration and delivery in 2023".

I was tempted before by the GR Yaris but held out because of COVID but I think I would much prefer this and it must be one of the last chances to get a decent sports car before everything is electric?

Last edited:
Soldato
He is known as one of the biggest cowboys in the Gt-Four world. Everyone avoids him. Only recently he had a guy's car for a year and he nearly ruined the motor.

Also I got this reply from Toyota on Friday. Foll me for not checking my emails. If I pay the grand deposit I will get a car in the near future?

"Hi Adam,
Great news! Following our recent email to update you that we have received limited stock of GR86, we are delighted to confirm that based on your position on the waitlist, you are now invited to request your very own GR86 online, for registration and delivery in 2023".

I was tempted before by the GR Yaris but held out because of COVID but I think I would much prefer this and it must be one of the last chances to get a decent sports car before everything is electric?
I have heard the cars need to be delivered by the end of the year, and I've seen a few other people who report that they have responded to that invite, paid the deposit, and already been informed that the car is in build; so there's a chance you might have it in a few months if you respond.

And obviously I'm biased, but I would say go for it - I'm loving mine and I think you're right that it might be a last gasp for the affordable new sports car. And that means that even if you run it for a while and decide it's not for you, you'll probably be able to sell it on and not lose any money on it.

Back
Top Bottom