GT86/GR86/BRZ

Caporegime
Yup once you add some sticky 265s, more power and go hooning these things are a consideration, probably the eco oil spec is not the best but I'd need to speak to people who know the engines once I start heading down that route.

Yeah I haven't read up on the powertrain but I would guess it would be 30w grade oil from factory. On track you need a 40 minimum. My Celica was 50w when on track!

It seems a lot of American's are totally oblivious to how much more strain a track puts on a car. Especially longitudinal boxer engine!

Last edited:
Soldato
I did like the car, but as you said 10 years with the same car and recently supercharged, going back to "only" 230hp is going to feel a bit dull even though I enjoyed it when my car was 230hp, just with a massive torque dip. The clutch comment is interesting because mine is so linear and predictable, still on the stock spring. Obviously worn it out a bit. My finance plan was to extend the mortgage to cover it as it matched the PCP payments and I had the flexibility to "pay it off" whenever I wanted.

Already done the oil precautions to mine including Cosworth sump baffle plate, killer B pickup, HEL oil cooler and on 5w30. Next step is to add some temperature monitoring as that's missing on the original model. Just spending the PCP money means I've got 3.5k a year to add to my current car :)

Soldato
Yikes, only just actually looked at the GR. GT/BRZ is a fine looking car, very distinctive front-end, proper sports car profile....

Back of the GR is pretty good, but wtf have they done with the front? The whole front quarter is awful, looks like they've stuck an old Prius on the front of a decent looking sports car :(

Soldato
Yikes, only just actually looked at the GR. GT/BRZ is a fine looking car, very distinctive front-end, proper sports car profile....

Back of the GR is pretty good, but wtf have they done with the front? The whole front quarter is awful, looks like they've stuck an old Prius on the front of a decent looking sports car :(
FITE ME.

I think the GT had a more aggressive front, but on reflection I like the GR more. It has a cleaner look at the front now. Side profile looks great to me too, more balanced than the old car.

Associate
I think it looks a lot more cohesive now, I like it but each to their own.

I bailed on the GR86 last minute :(

Youtube took me down the engine failure rathole and planted a seed of doubt, it was terrible timing for us anyway being in the process of house sale/move, so despite hitting the confirmation page many times I could not click the button.....

Soldato

Same I think the GT86 looked better. It had classic Japanese coupe lines. The GR looks quite Hyundai-ish

Last edited:
Associate
I think it looks a lot more cohesive now, I like it but each to their own.

I bailed on the GR86 last minute :(

Youtube took me down the engine failure rathole and planted a seed of doubt, it was terrible timing for us anyway being in the process of house sale/move, so despite hitting the confirmation page many times I could not click the button.....
The engine failing, isn't that more down to oil starvation though? Which I would have thought adding in a baffle plate + oil pickup in the sump would help reduce the risk of it failing.
Which isn't really a solution or answer to a brand new car and shouldn't be something you have to for prevention(or reducing the risk) measures but it is an option.

Associate
The engine failing, isn't that more down to oil starvation though? Which I would have thought adding in a baffle plate + oil pickup in the sump would help reduce the risk of it failing.
Which isn't really a solution or answer to a brand new car and shouldn't be something you have to for prevention(or reducing the risk) measures but it is an option.

Yup, whilst there are so many things I could do to mitigate once I start tuning the reality is I don’t want to do anything during its initial early life period that might jeopardize its warranty until I am ready to say I don’t care about that anymore, if you do a baffle and your engine still fails, who’s on the hook for the new engine?

The appeal of the car for me as a private buyer who keeps his cars for far too long was not just what it could do and what it could be but also that it was a Toyota that’d be reliable, cheap to own and last forever.

The RTV issue and engine failures at fairly low speed sweepers, didn't fill me full of confidence.

Caporegime
Yup, whilst there are so many things I could do to mitigate once I start tuning the reality is I don’t want to do anything during its initial early life period that might jeopardize its warranty until I am ready to say I don’t care about that anymore, if you do a baffle and your engine still fails, who’s on the hook for the new engine?

The appeal of the car for me as a private buyer who keeps his cars for far too long was not just what it could do and what it could be but also that it was a Toyota that’d be reliable, cheap to own and last forever.

The RTV issue and engine failures at fairly low speed sweepers, didn't fill me full of confidence.

The consumer laws are very different around here compared to America. As long as you kept up with servicing etc if your engine went pop. Toyota foots the bill.

I would also ignore what the internet says as it is mostly stupid myths. Having RTV in the oil pan is a common thing really.

In my life I have replaced the timing chain on a QG18DE and removed the sumps from a M15A and B235R engine. All three of them had bits of RTV in the sump and the B235R had broken down RTV on the strainer. All three engines were all way on to 6 figure mileage when removed too.

I even found an old picture of the strainer of my Saab with RTV on it and you can just about make out bits of RTV in the pan to the bottom right of the strainer.

https://i.imgur.com/LLiEzkx.jpg

The inherent design flaw of a boxer engine is the issue here. Why they didn't fit a baffled sump in a car like this does beg the question however. However I am sure it will be fixed and solution made up that will not cost the earth. Swapping out a sump is an afternoons work at best.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've added myself to the new 5th July waitlist for the GR and will see what happens. Also considering an early GT86 if the GR doesn't happen.

911 needs to go to pay off a chunk of mortgage but don't want to be left without something fun. An early GT86 seems to make a lot of sense, more than a GR, but the appeal of a new car that looks to be one of the classics you can look back on and say "I owned one of them" is high too.

Soldato
Making a challenge on the "relax" warranty is going down well. The pressure sensor valve has gone on the AC high pressure line causing a leak, but because it's in the middle of a "pipe" they're refusing to cover it, even though the warranty only excludes rubber pipes by name, this one is metal. Rest of the system is covered but that specific part they want £600ish to repair, after trying to charge 1k for a condenser which would have been covered, but "relax" was brought out 1 week after my service and wasn't activated.

This is after they forgot to activate the warranty last year because the service was done as a FOC service for the damage the dealer did to my car at the previous warranty repair and had to compensate for those issues.

I'm relieved I made the decision to cancel my GR86 order as the dealer network around here seems to be getting worse, not better.

Back
Top Bottom