GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Either they found a lot of build slots, or more people have moved on/put off by the finance.

I've done something very stupid and put a deposit down for one. Test drive on Monday between the GR Yaris, GR86 and my own SC GT86. Dealer also wanted to throw in the Supra but that's way above budget. Got until next week to confirm the order and until delivery to really think about it.

Caporegime
I have done something very stupid and put down a deposit as well. Will see if I am on the waiting list or not. Opted for Sapphire Blue Pearl.

We were looking at vans as well. (Toyota Vellfire 3.5 V6) Convincing the missus was a job but we might just have to settle for a Nissan Elgrand instead next year as they are slightly cheaper;).

Last edited:
Associate
Got the same message from Toyota, not able to order that nice blue though :( red cars are faster anyway :D , timing is terrible but don't want to miss out again so I've done something stupid too :p :D

Soldato
I have done something very stupid and put down a deposit as well. Will see if I am on the waiting list or not. Opted for Sapphire Blue Pearl.

We were looking at vans as well. (Toyota Vellfire 3.5 V6) Convincing the missus was a job but we might just have to settle for a Nissan Elgrand instead next year as they are slightly cheaper;).

Amazing Colour :D

Huge fan! I see one local to me most mornings.

Soldato
Had the option but let the invitation expire (I'll live to regret it) - doesn't suit the family needs, and with the price bump it falls into "ahh I'll just spend more and get the Alpine A110 that I've been lusting after"

The seats are so useless in the rear, its essentially a 2 seater, which challenges my thinking somewhat.

Caporegime

GR86 Trueno, I guess this stuff won't make the UK?

It is Toyota. I am sure if you really wanted you could order the part numbers and retrofit. It is only dampers and callipers anyway.

Associate
Sure I can do anything down the line when it comes to modding but if its better out the box from manufacturer it's generally far cheaper place to start from, 4 piston Brembos with bigger disc don't come cheap though it doesn't look like the floating rotors on my punto, neither will the uprated dampers, more to it than that, things like adaptive cruise you wouldn't be able to add, also the two tone interior with red leather ticks my boxes and I like me some stickers :D

For the trade in offered on my Punto perhaps I'll just take it's brembos off :eek: :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Going to let the order lapse. If I was on the initial allocation I wouldn't have supercharged my GT86 and I'd have bought one, but a year later I ended up supercharging as we were told that was it and it's made a massive difference to the character. The GR86 is a great car and it is noticeably better with the handling changes and uprated engine compared to a stock one but it all felt a bit fake.

On the original the engine note was "piped" into the car which was easily blocked off and a good exhaust made up the difference, on the new one it's through the speakers and just sounds awful. The steering was lighter with less feedback, the clutch I have no idea what it was doing and there's so many switches/dials to figure out I missed the simplicity of the original. Interior quality didn't feel like an improvement, more 90's Renault than 00's Japanese. I was hoping with 5k miles on the demonstrator it would feel settled in.

After the test drive I got back in my car and I felt better in what I had than what I was looking at, it's convinced me to keep on spending to improve my own car.

This was a car I wanted in 2 years time, I'll have to see what the values are like then. I was tempted to buy one and store it but the costs associated with that I might as well buy someone else's over RRP one and not worry about it.

Soldato
Seems to be a lot of people dropping out. My mate was way down the list and oddly we were discussing it last Saturday and how he was giving up and looking at alternatives, on the Monday he was informed he was suddenly at the top of the list.

Associate
Had the option but let the invitation expire (I'll live to regret it) - doesn't suit the family needs, and with the price bump it falls into "ahh I'll just spend more and get the Alpine A110 that I've been lusting after"

The seats are so useless in the rear, its essentially a 2 seater, which challenges my thinking somewhat.
Not so useless - my wife fits in the back behind our 15yr, 5'11, son - admittedly journey's are kept to under an hour for everyone's comfort, but it can be done.
Also with the seats down, plenty of space for luggage for 2 people touring.

Soldato
You can drive with a person behind the driver but your driving position is significantly compromised. Steering wheel further out and raised as high as it goes to make space for your knees. I've both driven and been a passenger in the back, as an emergency "give a mate a lift" it's fine. Passenger side it's more reasonable. I've done the schoolrun a few times for a friend using both back seats and the kids love it. The back seats are ideal for taking a set of track wheels leaving the boot free for tools and snacks.

The biggest turn off with this 2nd batch is the price increase, add on the PCP finance cost and you're looking at a bill £5.5k higher than the first allocation.

Soldato
Going to let the order lapse. If I was on the initial allocation I wouldn't have supercharged my GT86 and I'd have bought one, but a year later I ended up supercharging as we were told that was it and it's made a massive difference to the character. The GR86 is a great car and it is noticeably better with the handling changes and uprated engine compared to a stock one but it all felt a bit fake.

On the original the engine note was "piped" into the car which was easily blocked off and a good exhaust made up the difference, on the new one it's through the speakers and just sounds awful. The steering was lighter with less feedback, the clutch I have no idea what it was doing and there's so many switches/dials to figure out I missed the simplicity of the original. Interior quality didn't feel like an improvement, more 90's Renault than 00's Japanese. I was hoping with 5k miles on the demonstrator it would feel settled in.

After the test drive I got back in my car and I felt better in what I had than what I was looking at, it's convinced me to keep on spending to improve my own car.

This was a car I wanted in 2 years time, I'll have to see what the values are like then. I was tempted to buy one and store it but the costs associated with that I might as well buy someone else's over RRP one and not worry about it.
I didn't think you'd be that impressed now your GT is supercharged :D

Valid points about the engine noise and clutch. I turned it off and it was much better, and then fitted an HKS cat back, which solved that. The clutch I don't think is any different to the GT - the assistance spring on the pedal is too strong. I fitted a weak spring, much like the MTEC spring for the older gen, and it solved that too - pedal now feels much more linear.

As for the steering, to me it feels lighter and more precise, and the smaller wheel feels more direct to me. I'm not sure I've really noticed less feel, although I know everyone has commented on it. But I think I'm a bit of an oaf when it comes to detecting nuances like that.

Associate
If it is anything like my experience with every Michellin Pilot sport tyre since 3/4 the feedback is muted until the tyre is about 50% worn in, most other tyres are much better straight up though somehow never have the grip of the Michelins. Running 1A tyres in competition I would always put in stronger times on Pilot sports but enjoyed driving every other tyre I put on my car more.

I still feel like the price is reasonable for what else is available in the new market but yep the financing sucks.

I'm currently flipping the coin on it, part of me says just wait buy something a bit more special, but anything I want is 2x the price, in reality though would I enjoy it anymore, probably not, as in all likelihood I would be able to use a GR86s abilities more of the time and can see a path where it becomes my NCs replacement competition vehicle which I'd probably not do with something like the Emira.

Plus the emergency rear seats of the GR86 are actually quite handy for the dog as my daily driver.

Caporegime
Decided I am going to go through with it. I was a bit conflicted because of the state of the country and making the numbers work but I said to the missus "I will speak to the boss about overtime and if she gave it to me we will buy it" and yeah she has given me whatever I want so the next couple of months is going to be manic. :p

Leasing seems like a stupid idea at the moment as the rates are terrible which I guess is why people are not bothering or don't have the capital to cash purchase. I am going to cash purchase with a 5 year loan for the rest but will most likely pay it off earlier as I hope I will only need 13-16k to complete. Considering the rarity this car will have I think residuals will be strong. More than likely have 3 years of fun and lose nothing on it if the GR Yaris is anything to go by and there are a lot more of them. It has really just fallen into my lap at the right time. My Celica resto will be pushed back a few months however!

Only thing I have decided to change is go for the red instead of the blue to match my Celica.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Video about the cause of the engine failures, looks like the GR86s don't like turning right.

This is pretty much the case with any track car. The 3SGTE in my Celica came baffled from the factory "because homologation special". It is one of the first mods you should do if tracking anything of value that doesn't have a baffled sump. If you are going on slicks it is a must if you want your engine to last more than 5 minutes. The good thing about being a longitudinal engine is that fitting a baffled sump is child's play. 1 hour tops.

I knew it wasn't the RTV as a lot of the yanks have been saying as my Saab suffers from the same RTV issues yet wasn't cleaned until it was on 110k! RTV will not effect an oil pickup until it completely blocks the strainer and you are talking years upon years.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup once you add some sticky 265s, more power and go hooning these things are a consideration, probably the eco oil spec is not the best but I'd need to speak to people who know the engines once I start heading down that route.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom