Helldivers 2

Soldato

This one sneaked up on me, out in three weeks. Looks great, very Starship Trooper-ry. Mindless online co-op shooting for a bargain price, right up my street. I have just preordered it although it is giving a bit of Aliens Fireteam Elite vibes which I really liked but did get bored of quickly once I'd levelled all the classes up.

Soldato
I am really looking forward to this but I also feel this would benefit from a PS Plus extra release especially to keep player base up. It’s out soon and really doesn’t seem like Sony are marketing it that much

Associate
Doesn't look like there's much love for this game round these parts! I'm just about to download it and give it a whirl. Anyone else tried it out?

Soldato
OP
Yep, played the tutorial last night and a single mission with a random. I played barely an hour after it had gone live and there were only two planets in the first sector that the community hadn't cleared out. Its a good concept that i'm sure has likely been implemented elsewhere but I haven't seen it before and perhaps it may need a re-think. Maybe the devs didn't anticipate it would be that popular.

I like it so far but obviously too early to form much of an opinion. Fun and hectic shooter. Died twice, once to FF. Mechanically it does feel a lot like Aliens fireteam which was great but had a very short life span. I like the calling in of support weapons or supplies. Gets a bit tricky reinforcing a dead teammate when under fire though but I'm sure the D pad patterns will become second nature after a while. Looking forward to properly getting into it this weekend.

Soldato
OP
I only played a little of this on day of release (Thursday night) without issue. Tried Friday and couldn't get into a multiplayer session.
I'm going to put some serious hours in this weekend, so loaded up this morning before work and downloaded and installed latest update so I'll be ready. However couldn't get past the loading screen and got a repeated "failed to create lobby - contact support if problem persists" with a 60 second countdown timer to retry, which it failed again. Stayed that way for 20 minutes. Anyone playing now or earlier?

Soldato
Done two missions solo, and me and a mate did a couple earlier - feels just like Starship troopers.

Good fun game, looking to putting the hours in
How was it playing solo? I imagine it's much better playing with a mate or group of mates but was wondering if it works well in solo mode.
Really like Starship troopers original movie so hoping this would give the same vibe.

Soldato
How was it playing solo? I imagine it's much better playing with a mate or group of mates but was wondering if it works well in solo mode.
Really like Starship troopers original movie so hoping this would give the same vibe.
It's still pretty good in solo imo - you can set the play to easy/medium and get a decent challenge, but it's not a patch on MP.

Once you've unlocked a decent amount of kit, you can really hold your own solo - I'm level 12 or 13 now (can't log into the servers tonight) and have some pretty decent tools now; the like auto cannon :D

It's certainly got the feel of Starship Troopers though, not just because one sector of the galaxy has bugs, but the general tone of the Super Earth forces, could have come straight out of the film

Soldato
It's still pretty good in solo imo - you can set the play to easy/medium and get a decent challenge, but it's not a patch on MP.

Once you've unlocked a decent amount of kit, you can really hold your own solo - I'm level 12 or 13 now (can't log into the servers tonight) and have some pretty decent tools now; the like auto cannon :D

It's certainly got the feel of Starship Troopers though, not just because one sector of the galaxy has bugs, but the general tone of the Super Earth forces, could have come straight out of the film

Thanks and yes, I have read quite a few user reviews about people not being able to log into the servers. Might give it a couple months for things to settle down and hope it is still £25 (PC) or less but will definitely give a go. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

How do you unlock better guns? Just buying them with medals as you progress? I'm level 6 but find the AR you start with to be the best despite unlocking and not liking the shotgun or the sniper. Premium warbond has a load of explosive weapons in at the same level.

Soldato
How do you unlock better guns? Just buying them with medals as you progress? I'm level 6 but find the AR you start with to be the best despite unlocking and not liking the shotgun or the sniper. Premium warbond has a load of explosive weapons in at the same level.
Yeah just medals for primary and secondary, and stratagems for support weapons - you can also get a done that follows you with either a laser or machine gun.

I think you get the HMG early doors, but the LMG is better imo - quicker to reload, and you can do it running too.

The default AR is great though, I have just unlocked the next one with better armour penetration, but I'm not sold tbh; I much prefer an auto shotgun I unlocked before

Soldato
OP
I didn’t know how to unlock further stratagems but just watched a vid on it. :o Will give it a try.
Only been killing bugs so far. Had one go on the other side but we were absolutely overwhelmed. Too hard!

Back
Top Bottom