Helldivers 2

Soldato
Bad wording by me then. I know you can, but is the game still worth it if you only play solo?
Not sure, wouldn't recommend it to the causal solo gamer, it can get frustrating and extremely difficult when you're swarmed with enemies. It would be a real grind to level up and unlock some of the more powerful weapons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bad wording by me then. I know you can, but is the game still worth it if you only play solo?
There's certainly fun to be had solo, I've played a fair few hours like that - it just makes it harder as you go beyond the Challenging setting imo

Thing is, it'll be like playing Left 4 Dead solo (with no AI fillers) - it's a game that's really designed for 4 players, and that offers the best experience.

I often jump in with randoms, and you don't have to talk - in fact, I've only had a couple of games that had comms

Soldato
My mate got me this as an early birthday present yesterday and we spent a few hours on it last night, it's brilliant. Runs like a dream, looks great, the gameplay is really satisfying and the weapons and stratagems have a nice punch to them. Great use of the adaptive triggers too, minimal resistance so as not to tire your fingers out but a subtle feedback from each weapon. Looks like there's plenty to unlock and experiment with too, think we'll be playing this one for a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's certainly fun to be had solo, I've played a fair few hours like that - it just makes it harder as you go beyond the Challenging setting imo

Thing is, it'll be like playing Left 4 Dead solo (with no AI fillers) - it's a game that's really designed for 4 players, and that offers the best experience.

I often jump in with randoms, and you don't have to talk - in fact, I've only had a couple of games that had comms
Cheers @Scort. My son is playing it on PC anyway so can team up there. He says he’s had some good times with randoms so not to worry. Bought!

Soldato
Had a few rounds this morning and yeah fun squishing bugs. Surprisingly most randoms seem to be playing the objectives which is good. I did use quickmatch once and ended up somewhere I should have not gone. Squad wiped. I’ll just select the easier missions for now then!

Last edited:
Soldato
Servers must be maxed tonight, the game has crashed twice on me mid-match, and restarting I get an error "-1" and a brief countdown, then nothing. Even a restart didn't solve it - ended up jumping into HLL for a bit.

Last match was a corker too - joined some randoms on Hard and they were mopping up everything in the map, and the game bloody crashed as we were outside the extract :(

Soldato
OP
Had a great time over the weekend on it. Unlocked the Breaker and the nade launcher now. I'm still running the super light armour - not sure if they have fixed the armour stats yet? Played mostly with randoms and most seem to want to hit as many objectives as possible before extract, which is good. Did find a crew that were running a defend mission against the bots over and over again. Good for medals but bit dull. The bugs are much more fun to kill. I had 45 medals when I logged in though after not playing for a week, not sure if a bug or not. Spent them anyway so they can't take them back now.
I had two disconnects but only when viewing stats post mission.

Associate
Had a great time over the weekend on it. Unlocked the Breaker and the nade launcher now. I'm still running the super light armour - not sure if they have fixed the armour stats yet? Played mostly with randoms and most seem to want to hit as many objectives as possible before extract, which is good. Did find a crew that were running a defend mission against the bots over and over again. Good for medals but bit dull. The bugs are much more fun to kill. I had 45 medals when I logged in though after not playing for a week, not sure if a bug or not. Spent them anyway so they can't take them back now.
I had two disconnects but only when viewing stats post mission.
Armour still hasn't been fixed so use the light one still as you don't get the penalty. Interesting to hear that people are now getting crashes on this I've found that if you use standby mode on PS5 to stop as it's not great at the best of times. Just got to level 20 and finally got the railgun which is keeping things interesting.

Looks like the personal orders are back and are here to stay too which is good again keeping the game fresh.

Caporegime
Soldato
£30 here for anyone wanting a physical copy:

@Plainsong I've played tons solo, it's a blast. I run the guard dog and two turrets to buff up our defenses a bit as a lot of noobs get overwhelmed quickly but if you start playing a bit more supportive and try to help the newer players it makes it so much more satisfying.
I’ve seen those turrets with other players do they unlock naturally or should I be buying stuff with the tokens? I am only level 6 so not had much opportunity to spend yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok got them and had enough for quite a few new stratagems. This game is addictive as anything been on with my son off and on all morning and we’ve just been nuking everything to hell. When you launch a nuke and watch it drop it’s a beautiful sight! And fun! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok got them and had enough for quite a few new stratagems. This game is addictive as anything been on with my son off and on all morning and we’ve just been nuking everything to hell. When you launch a nuke and watch it drop it’s a beautiful sight! And fun! :D
It's better to shoot the crashed ones, as a mate wanders over to it saying "what's this then...?" :D

Associate
This looks like what Gears Of War 4 should've been. I might give this a go. I was addicted to Gears 3 for years,and 4 was such a letdown. Is Aliens Fireteam just like this? I love Aliens lore!

Soldato
OP
This looks like what Gears Of War 4 should've been. I might give this a go. I was addicted to Gears 3 for years,and 4 was such a letdown. Is Aliens Fireteam just like this? I love Aliens lore!
It has similarities to Fireteam (which I really liked) in terms of the set up but levelling up is different and you don't level your gear and weapons here or add attachments. Gameplay is all outdoors here, no ship corridors and that kind of thing and of course the best thing about Fireteam isn't here - that electric whistle sound of the mag emptying. More enemy types though.

It really is good fun though and has a longer appeal than AFE.

Back
Top Bottom