Horizon Zero Dawn

Soldato
I heard burning shores is significantly better looking than the base game. They also very nearly took out the flying as they stuggled to get it working on the PS4.
Correct. BS just looks way better than FW. Upon flying between the new lands it is very clear to see the better textures which mesh well with the lighting/weather improvements that BS brings. The FW map looks drab in places by comparison.

Last edited:
Caporegime
ah that's dissapointing, will still give it a go though
Just to elaborate a bit... the good parts, you have already seen in HZD. The robot fighting is still (mostly) fun, but...

The grind. Boy, the grind. They dialled that up to 11. Improving every weapon now requires zooming all over the world, fighting 30 robots, hoping the one detachable part you need isn't yeeted into the aether as the robot moves around. Maybe they fixed that, but when I played a couple months after release, you had to be lucky to pick up a detached part, because more often than not the physics engine would hurl them off to another continent.

The story. Ugh, it's nonsense. It's complete, total, childish nonsense. The quality of writing is so bad. And that extends to the side quests too. E.g.:

Bad guy: "I'm going to do it! I have nothing to lose! My masterplan is complete! I will be rich and powerful!"
Aloy: "You don't want to do it. Think of the children."
Bad guy: "You're right, hero. I will think about my life choices. Here are the hostages I've been holding for the past week. My plan is foiled!"

The main story bad guys are now literally supervillains. They fly around like Superman. They are super cheesy, too. "Har har har, I will destroy ze world! Nobody can shtop me!"

HZD was fun, and you could also suspend disbelief. Sure it wasn't free from plot holes, but it wasn't cringey like FW.

FW is Cringe 11 and Grind 11. YMMV - this may be an unpopular opinion.

Soldato
Yeah, pretty much the above, didn't want to elaborate too much in my post but I agree overall.

Zero Dawn was good for the most part, this isn't as consistent.

• Sad
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
One other thing that I want to point out here - and this one probably comes down to personal preference.

And that's the dodge mechanic. In HZD you dodge by getting out of the way.

In FW, enemies track you in mid-air. That is to say, if a robot jumps at you, and you dodge left or right, the robot arcs in mid-air to still land on you.

FW, then, makes dodging about timing invincibility frames. You let the robot jump, you wait, you wait, and you dodge *towards* it at the last possible moment. You use the i-frames to end up behind it, and start an attack.

I'm told this is "Souls-like" combat, but I have never played a Souls game so will take their word for it.

But yeah, very little getting out of the way in FW, now it's all about timing dodges. You literally dodge a fireball by rolling *through* it.

I wasn't a fan, but if people like Souls combat, then they might like it.

Soldato
Then there are some who say it's better than the first one. Not sure I like the sound of the combat though, I was always rolling out the way. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Soldato
Combat isn’t as good yes but don’t let that deter you from the bigger picture - the main storyline revolving around Aloy and her scooby doo gang.

There’s still an amazing game here despite the million Bows, Xbows, Xbow Series X’s, and bomb sling fings and god knows what else.

Soldato
The combat is just harder and more timing-reliant, it does have some of that i-framing aspect but that's not exclusive to soulsborne, just something From decided to roll (ba-dum-tsk:D) with and popularised.

You can still dodge sideways in FW, it's just stricter and enemies are bigger and faster, with more range on top of that so it's often easier to use those iframes to roll diagonally to their sides and get in their deadzone. You generally have to use more movement.

You have more options while fighting but they're somewhat all over the place, just like the game itself for the most part.

There are bigger problems with it than the combat IMO, including said story, but it doesn't necessarily mean everyone will find it disappointing.

If I had to sum up ZD and FW in one word, it'd be focus vs bloat.

Caporegime
If I had to sum up ZD and FW in one word, it'd be focus vs bloat.
That's a pretty fair summary of the gameplay. And don't get me started on that silly board game. The populace are literally starving to death in many places, but somehow a sizeable number of people (in every town) are still able to dedicate themselves to playing a board game :p

The story is best summed up by the fact that the original writers left, and the new lot probably wanted to go their own way. As @Kainz said above, it is almost like an episode of Scooby Doo.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, I got fed up of the machines constantly knocking you over and parts disappearing so I just slapped it on easy mode and it solved all that shenanigans.
It was so depressing, and so common, that I ended up trying to loot mid-fight, which is obviously quite dangerous when there's a fire breathing dinosaur robot trying to stamp on your face :p

But if you waited to the end, a good 50%+ of the parts you detached just weren't there anymore.

e: If anyone thinks I'm just hating on the game... I really loved HZD. I would have been happy with just more HZD. FW is not the same game, really. And for me it was so disappointing because after HZD I thought we would get more of what I loved. But it didn't work out like that. And I was gutted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom