How will Brexit affect you and your family personally?

Permabanned
OP
Is that a threat?

You will be sorely missed.

How did you determine that? From economical standpoint, anyone who contributes more to economy than takes out in benefits will be missed by everyone. On contrary, people who take out more than give, will not be missed

Do you know his/her financial net contribution to the economy to make such statement?

Associate
Well I feel poorer already. A lot of things will be more expensive ( my holiday this year definitely will be).

I work in the arts/orchestral world and the industry as a whole is worried as well - http://www.abo.org.uk/championing/press/eu-referendum-press-release.aspx

My partners parents wanted to retire to France or Spain in the future - probably not going to happen now.

Im so sad for you that your holiday will be costing more for you.

But then a lot of people that voted out..

In the North east of England. North midlands and midlands East anglia areas cant afford a holiday from year to year..

You see they are on minimum wage with no chance of overtime or seeing there wages go up because the area is swamped with people from EU depressing the wage market..

And as for how Brexit affects me.. no idea. no one has any idea until things are sorted and we see what deals are made.

Everything else is just speculation on both sides with some drama queens going totally overboard with the doom and gloom.

Associate
The only thing stopping me abandon my FTW pre-order is the extra any other card now costs compared to pre-Brexit. That's the immediate affect on me.
Also not getting any points in the predictor for the England game. The only thing that makes a team perform the worst it has ever done is mental, and the biggest mental factor present for the players was probably Brexit (Hodgson speaks five languages (and some of three others) you know, how was he likely feeling?). I did in fact get the right result, just not for the right teams.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well Northern Ireland is the scariest thing for us, I grew up before good friday seeing the troubles on the news, the last thing we want is to go back to a militarised closed border between NI and the republic.

As I work in an industry that has a shortage of skilled workers in the UK we have a lot of immigrants that come from all over the world, the majority of immigrants however are European so this will have a massive effect on them sadly, it will probably result in putting off EU based workers applying to work here which will damage our industry drastically.

Obviously the pound being weaker against the euro means our summer holidays and trips back home to Ireland will get more expensive.

If the interest rates increase it may screw over any hope we have of getting a mortgage soon.

On the flip side, and only vaguely positive side there may be a drop in house prices which could benefit us as first time buyers. This will probably be more than offset by the damage to my company resulting in poorer salary rises.

My partner works in a university which takes a lot of EU students. If those EU students have to pay international rates a vast majority of them will choose to study in EU universities which will result in many courses in her university shutting down, not to mention any EU funding for her university will also disappear.

We were seriously considering buying in London, now I have to say that we'll likely leave the country in the next two years. Not only will it financially make more sense for us but I also don't want to live in a country as close-minded as the one England has proven to be.

Man of Honour
Aside the the pension fund issues our shares have taken a hit (we were planning to use those for the children's education). So we will tighten our belts further.

I will almost certainly lose my job by the end of the year (Financial IT sector). It was always likely at some point but I think this will be the excuse the company needs to bring the plans forward a bit.

Soldato
If the chancellor goes ahead with his plans it will affect all of us, cuts to services, goods more expensive and tax hikes.

There's no avoiding that so well all be worse off.

Soldato
My wife and son have dual nationality, British / Irish, I don't see it affecting us too much, if at all. Prices might go up a bit I suppose. Meh.
If Scotland goes for independence I'll push to move up there, always wanted to.
Main reason we stay is for the NHS, as we both have health issues now. If that became a pay to use service in the future, well, no reason to stay really...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Will this mean we will pull out of things like 14 days return policy and go back to SOGA before which is 7 days?

Lots of work discussions on this today - consensus was that reviewing all existing legislation in 2 years would be impossible so the only things that makes sense is that all law stays the same / regulations will still apply after we formally leave until we get round to amending it... Could be ~3-5 years.

I imagine that EU law sets the high watermark and in reality few standards will drop below that.

Slightly depressing when you think about it really :p

Last edited:
Soldato
My missus might lose her job in a few years. If that happens we'll have to emigrate as she has transferable skills. This means I won't be able to see my kids anywhere near as often as Australia or Canada is most likely.

So big changes that I'm dreading if the worst case happens.

Caporegime
Lots of work discussions on this today - consensus was that reviewing all existing legislation in 2 years would be impossible so the only things that makes sense is that all law stays the same / regulations will still apply after we formally leave until we get round to amending it... Could be ~3-5 years.

I imagine that EU law sets the high watermark and in reality few standards will drop below that.

Slightly depressing when you think about it really :p

This is what annoys me also. The vast majority of the EU laws put in place are actually very good and sensible.

Instead we get stupid tabloids going "lol bendy bananas" with no understanding of what the rule/law actually means or why it is there.

Associate
My wife and I have been saving for our move to the US at the end of the year, we now have a lot less ($) savings than we did a week ago.

She is coming to the end of her Phd anyway, but her department will lose £9m of EU funding which is a massive hit for them and her friends/co worker's careers. That department (My wife included) have made major medical breakthroughs so it'll effect a lot of other people down the line too I'm sure.

It has effected us personally due to the fact that we were going to return to the UK in a few years, but it will be very difficult for her to find a job now, as most of them were funded by the EU also. We've decided we'll definitely either be staying in the states or looking to move elsewhere within the EU.

Associate
I think a lot of people are exaggerating just how much brexit will cost them,For some people its as if the world is about to end. :D

Its all relative isnt it.

Someone earning £100k a year being £1k worse off is meh, while conversely someone earning £20k - 30k a year being £1k worse off is pretty hard going.

Just using £1k as an example as it was quoted I think during the Remain campaign....

Soldato
Indeed, one of my friends is a small business and hos raw materials are bought in dollars, the financial hit fir him has taken him from profit making to loss making.

Man of Honour
Its all relative isnt it.

Someone earning £100k a year being £1k worse off is meh, while conversely someone earning £20k - 30k a year being £1k worse off is pretty hard going.

Just using £1k as an example as it was quoted I think during the Remain campaign....

Yeah as far as anything foreseeable goes it likely means for me that I end up putting a little less into savings whereas for someone else that could mean having to make hard household decisions.

Caporegime
I'm not really seeing all the fuss... there is some scare stuff in the media, half the country is a bit upset, there is some volatility in the markets and negotiations haven't even started yet loads of people are absolutely certain that this is a massive disaster.

I think what we'll find out in the coming months is that some form of trade deal will be starting to get bashed out and some of the people who voted leave because they don't like immigrants might be a bit disappointing that we're still going to have plenty of immigrants. Those that want some element of control over immigration(without the desire to see it clamped down on too much) might well be fairly happy.

Back
Top Bottom