HP Microserver+XPEnology

Associate
Wow 12TB of space ;o Damn what do you keep on that?!
Nice idea using 3 of the HP boxes, at least you aren't restricted on just 4 bays now or separate storage units

Soldato
Looking for some advice.

I am currently on 4.2-3211.

I am looking to update to at least version 5, what is the best way to do this?

Also, would the update wipe my data/video drive, not that bothered if it does, just easier if it didn't.

Thanks

Associate
Guys need a little help.

Got my microserver coming today and am going to run DSM 5.2 on it... I have a clean 2tb drive to set it all up from scratch..

But I also have another 2tb drive full of BR backups.. is there a process that can be followed to add this drive to a running setup at a later date and for DSM to migrate the files over without deleting the content?

The drive with the content on it is from a freenas set-up and was only run as its own drive.

Associate
Sorry another question...

Got my Gen8 up and running but seems to take forever to get to the point where it boots from USB.. is there anything I can do to speed it up... it does eventually boot from USB without me doing anything but goes through about 6 screens and initialization processes before it gets there.

Soldato
Guys need a little help.

Got my microserver coming today and am going to run DSM 5.2 on it... I have a clean 2tb drive to set it all up from scratch..

But I also have another 2tb drive full of BR backups.. is there a process that can be followed to add this drive to a running setup at a later date and for DSM to migrate the files over without deleting the content?

The drive with the content on it is from a freenas set-up and was only run as its own drive.

DSM will wipe each HDD installed so it can setup the partitions as it requires. If you run JBOD then you should be able to copy the data from the full drive to the clean drive in DSM once installed... Otherwise if you want to run SHR-1/2 arrays you'll need to find a drive (or space elsehwere) that is big enough to support the content on the full 2tb drive first... Then you can set up an array using both the drives and repopulate it.

Its improtant to note that only JBOD or RAID 0 setups will allow you to use the 4tb on the two drives, all the other modes will generally give you protection against a drive failure and you'll lose at a minimum of 1 HDD.. These will also be the largest!.

As an example, I have an SHR-1 array with 2 x 3TB drives, 1 x 1TB, 1 x500GB and 1 x 80GB. The total capacity is not 7.58TB, but 4.58TB as I've lost a drive in parity protection but should a drive fail then I can replace it and get the data back.

Soldato
Sorry another question...

Got my Gen8 up and running but seems to take forever to get to the point where it boots from USB.. is there anything I can do to speed it up... it does eventually boot from USB without me doing anything but goes through about 6 screens and initialization processes before it gets there.

No, the gen8 is known to be a slow booter it is afterall a business orientated server where boot times are not important.

Associate
DSM will wipe each HDD installed so it can setup the partitions as it requires. If you run JBOD then you should be able to copy the data from the full drive to the clean drive in DSM once installed... Otherwise if you want to run SHR-1/2 arrays you'll need to find a drive (or space elsehwere) that is big enough to support the content on the full 2tb drive first... Then you can set up an array using both the drives and repopulate it.

Its improtant to note that only JBOD or RAID 0 setups will allow you to use the 4tb on the two drives, all the other modes will generally give you protection against a drive failure and you'll lose at a minimum of 1 HDD.. These will also be the largest!.

As an example, I have an SHR-1 array with 2 x 3TB drives, 1 x 1TB, 1 x500GB and 1 x 80GB. The total capacity is not 7.58TB, but 4.58TB as I've lost a drive in parity protection but should a drive fail then I can replace it and get the data back.

Thanks for the Explo... In the end i decided to to copy the media to my main PC and then I will copy it back over once the drive has installed.

Managed to get 5.2 installed fine but for some reason cant get any of the three updates to apply... keeps saying file is corrupt when either doing a manual update or directly through the DSM software..

other than that loving this set-up

Associate
I'm considering getting a legit Synology NAS to house my drives so I can repurpose my microserveras an ESXi box. Is it possible to just take the drives out of the Xpenology box and put them into a 4-bay synology NAS and fire it up?

Soldato
I'm probably gonna be buying a Gen8 next week as they're on offer with £50 cashback this month and i was wondering if i need anything other than the unit itself and a hard drive to install XPEnology?

Also, does anyone know noisy it is? The only place i have space for it is in my very tiny living room so i'm hoping it wont be loud enough to hear. If it is are the fans replaceable?

Thanks

Associate
I'm probably gonna be buying a Gen8 next week as they're on offer with £50 cashback this month and i was wondering if i need anything other than the unit itself and a hard drive to install XPEnology?

Also, does anyone know noisy it is? The only place i have space for it is in my very tiny living room so i'm hoping it wont be loud enough to hear. If it is are the fans replaceable?

Thanks

Just a USB drive for the boot image :) can't comment on the noise but I have a n54l and its quiet enough for a lounge

Soldato
I'm considering getting a legit Synology NAS to house my drives so I can repurpose my microserveras an ESXi box. Is it possible to just take the drives out of the Xpenology box and put them into a 4-bay synology NAS and fire it up?

I think so, you might want to do an upgrade or reinstall of the DSM software but you should be able to keep your settings intact... As DSM is installed on the HDDs, they appear to be able to move from Xpenology to real Synology quite easily.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I'm toying with repurposing my HP for use with this xen or buying a QNAP. The main concern I have is the power consumption of the N54L vs a TS-431

Soldato
Been trying to update my Xpenology install for the last 2 days and failing miserably :(
Googoled for a guide and followed a few but no luck
Any kind soul here want to write me an idiots guide to help me update to 5592 :)

Associate
Hey all,

Has anyone installed an SSD inside? Can someone give me a simple guide and parts to get? Looked in the internet but so many posting different opinions etc. just want a simple guide.

Soldato
I moved from my Nanboot to Xpenoboot (running under ESXI) last night and upgraded to the latest DSM, can't say I wasn't nervous but all went well ;)

Also received my notification of my £55 cashback on my Gen8 Microserver, only sent if off form last Friday, happy days!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom