HP Microserver+XPEnology

Associate
Hi Folks,

I've got DSM running on my HP MicroServer N54L, and it's running rather well.

Thanks for the setup instructions.

The point of my post is that I seem to be getting other peoples notifications on my Nexus 4 phone, through the DS Finder App.

I've attached a screenshot below. These are not my DiskStations.

So with that in mind, I've turned off all Notifications in the Control Panel.

It seems that the Notifications are sent via Synology servers....?

Screenshot_2013_10_09_21_29_27.png

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Deuse,

No, its not the real MAC address, do you know how I change it to the real address?

Is there any benefit from having the real MAC address?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Hi Deuse,

No, its not the real MAC address, do you know how I change it to the real address?

Is there any benefit from having the real MAC address?

Cheers

Yes you get WOL and you stop getting messages and most likely someone else is using the same mac address.

Find out your real mac addy then SSH into the server and follow what it says in the link below.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=910#p4226

Associate
Does anyone else find they have to power off by holding in the power button after 30 days or so due to it crashing?

I am running a N40L with 8Gb ram, 2 x 3tb and 3 x 1tb drives

Soldato
Has anyone here had any problems using XPEnology with a UPS (auto shutdown etc)?

I've trawled the XPEnology forums but it's a bit of a pain considering you can't search due to the three letter limitation.

Soldato
OP
Looks like 4.3 is ready to test and trantor will up the fix kernel files later(I hope)
But don't forget don't install the latest media server as it's got no transcoding you need version MediaServer-x64-1.1-2403.spk.

As I say it's a test so don't trust it just yet :)

Soldato
I've been meaning to setup my Microserver now for aaaggess, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing. (I had to google the acronyms you have been using :p)

From the other HP thread I did think about using Unraid, but is this better/easier to set up?

It will just be used for media storage, to stream to a WDTV live. I have the 250gb drive it came with and 4 x 2TB drives to setup in a raid (Raid 5?)

Soldato
OP
I've been meaning to setup my Microserver now for aaaggess, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing. (I had to google the acronyms you have been using :p)

From the other HP thread I did think about using Unraid, but is this better/easier to set up?

It will just be used for media storage, to stream to a WDTV live. I have the 250gb drive it came with and 4 x 2TB drives to setup in a raid (Raid 5?)

Which one you going with 4.2 or 4.3?

I'm now back on 4.2 using img off one guy and the pat file from another guy.
Doing it this way it was easy for me to add a few lines to the conf file to get my real mac address and wol working.

edit= you will need a file called "MediaServer-x64-1.1-2403.spk" because synology took out transcoding after that version.
I now use a wdtv(3ed gen) and it works great using windows shares.

If you need help just ask mate.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just thought I would put a few updates for those who want 4.3 plus auto updates from synology.

A guy named iceget has posted a great tool for changing the Nic address http://www.raving.at/

Link to the post to say thanks http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1353&start=60#wrap

To update to 4.3 with update 2

using Trantor's build of 4.3 Go to update, click download. Then go to scheduled tasks and create a custom task

sed 's/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/' /[email protected] > /[email protected]
mv /[email protected] /[email protected]

Run this task. Then go to update and hit the update button. Thanks to VeNoM for this.

I've tested it and it work great. Now running 4.3 with update 2 from synology and with the right Nic number and wol is working.

Soldato
OP
You best look on the synology main site for the new stuff. I like it now the nic addy is ok and wol is working.
All the android apps work ok as well. I use no-ip for my ddns.

Back
Top Bottom