HTC Vive

Soldato
My Camera didn't work at 60Hz or 30Hz, it works perfectly at 45Hz though.

Try messing around in the options if your camera does not work.

Interesting. I'll try a 5hz increments at the weekend. VR is set up in lounge. I've mounted my lighthouses as my study is too cramped for room scale which is all I'm really interested in at the moment.

Gonna have a couple nights off it and play again at the weekend.

Soldato
Is it just a bandwidth issue of USB vcable or controller?

Think so. I've heard switching to USB 2.0 (if you are using 3.0) can sometimes help massively as well. I'm fine on 3.0, but I understand some boards/chipsets are flakier than others, and may just crap out leading to Vive issues so although in theory bandwidth is lower, it's much more stable.

Has anyone tried Holoball yet, seems to be getting positive reviews and is cheap.

Last edited:
Soldato
Need to try it on another machine. My USB 3.0 are as media, my 2.0 are Intel. This is on an Asus rampage formula 4.

I have a inateck card (got fkt the rift) and that dosnt work either.

Associate
So since I can't be anti social and take up the living room all the time, I have moved my Vive back into my tiny bedroom and set it up for seated experience...

Man, it feels so restrictive! And I look at my list of games struggling to think what I would want to play if I'm only stuck in one spot.

Soldato
So since I can't be anti social and take up the living room all the time, I have moved my Vive back into my tiny bedroom and set it up for seated experience...

Man, it feels so restrictive! And I look at my list of games struggling to think what I would want to play if I'm only stuck in one spot.

I was going to do this. But decided I'm not gonna bother at all with seated.

The res isn't good enough for racing games etc for me. Its the fun of the wandering around so all staying in lounge. Just have to bring PC up when I want to play. Sorted all cables so I just need the box nothing else brought up.

Does mean I can't just play when I want...but that's OK.

Don

Buy her a TV for the bedroom :D

Associate
I was going to do this. But decided I'm not gonna bother at all with seated.

The res isn't good enough for racing games etc for me. Its the fun of the wandering around so all staying in lounge. Just have to bring PC up when I want to play. Sorted all cables so I just need the box nothing else brought up.

Does mean I can't just play when I want...but that's OK.

Eh, I'm hoping elite dangerous gets patched, that will keep me busy. Even with the resolution issues its great.

Plus I'm sure Altspace VR type things will still be a laugh, maybe some others too.

Setting up and moving the Vive isn't that much of a hassle either, on weekends/evenings I'll move it back into the front room when possible. It's more about moving the furniture around!

Soldato
Eh, I'm hoping elite dangerous gets patched, that will keep me busy. Even with the resolution issues its great.

Plus I'm sure Altspace VR type things will still be a laugh, maybe some others too.
Even with the ED issues; it's easily the best seated experience thus far. It’s actually the first game where I felt my equilibrium go haywire for the first 30 or so mins. Pretty impressive considering it’s a gaming environment with no up or down! As more and more people get hold of their VR headsets I can see AltspaceVR becoming the go to on-line social experience.

Associate
Well i cancelled my Vive pre-order today. The wait hasn't bothered me as such, its just the longer it has gone on the less having or not having a vr headset has bothered me.

I'm going to wait for 4 things , 1 for Htc to sort their customer support out, 2 for them to be available at a proper retail level (Not the pseudo we order from htc for you as it is at present), that way if something goes wrong the retailer is obliged to rectify it. 3 for the quality control issues to be sorted and 4 the prices to be less "early adopter rush".

Associate
I ordered mine on February 29th, and it got delivered last Thursday (April 21st)

I was unsure if I would benefit form this experience, as I had a detached retina in my right eye, when I was a child, so vision in that
eye is about 50%, but I don't seem to have any problem seeing the effect :)

I do need both of the lenses zoomed in as close to my eyes as possible though, not sure if this is normal or not,
and the IPD is about 67.5.

Still getting used to it, and still adjusting things, will keep it until my rift arrives
in July, then will have to make a decision of which one to keep.

Last edited:
Soldato
I notice the latest SteamVR release has quite a few bug fixes, among which is missing camera UI.

I think a few people here may have experienced this so make sure you are up to date and see if it's fixed?

Associate
Spent a few hours in ED last night on the Vive, still learning the ropes of the game itself. Had to drop some cargo in my Sidewinder, just as I got close to the station I was indirected. Two ships came blasting at me and I knew I was outmatched, shields dropped really quickly and they were wearing down my hull.... BUT thanks to the Vive I could keep track of them as I evaded and let my drive recharge and slip away as my hull got beaten down to 21%... What a rush!

Sadly you do get some fatigue playing the game due to the resolution bug, I might just restrict my playing time of course.

Back
Top Bottom