• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

Soldato
Sure.

I also started playing around overclocking the cache - it seems to respond very well to this.

6700k @ 4.7Ghz core, 4.4Ghz cache, 100Mhz BLCK, 1.38V:

1zgyqn5.jpg

Thats a better score than my 4.9Ghz run - seems the cache makes a huge difference.

I need to start playing around with the BLCK also - 200Mhz seems to add some more performance.

Also note I haven't fully tested voltages yet - I may be stable at lower volts, haven't had time to fully test, so many settings to test/play with Skylake :D

Thanks. How do you overclock just the cache?

By overclocking BLCK that also overclocks memory doesnt it?

I tried with 2400mhz memory (2x4gb) instead of 1600mhz (4x4gb) and the score went from 940 > 940. I imagine memory increases will help but 200 x 23.5 will be a lot more unstable for me i imagine than 100 x 47

Soldato
OP
Thanks. How do you overclock just the cache?

By overclocking BLCK that also overclocks memory doesnt it?

I tried with 2400mhz memory (2x4gb) instead of 1600mhz (4x4gb) and the score went from 940 > 940. I imagine memory increases will help but 200 x 23.5 will be a lot more unstable for me i imagine than 100 x 47

Skylake separates the BLCK from the other buses, it's different from Haswell in that way.

To overclock cache, I had to set the cache multiplier limit to the desired value, so max = 44 and minimum = 44 for 4.4Ghz cache.

Next up I'll try BLCK overclocking to see what the impact is :)

Associate
Not quite able to join this club but I do have a 6600K on its way to replace my ageing 2500 (non K)

I literally have never tried to overclock in my life! I have read that it is easy to get my CPU to 3.9K with very little effort, how would I go about starting to try this when my CPU arrives?

I have ordered the Asus Z170-A motherboard. Is it a simple change in the settings/bios or more complicated than that?

Associate
Not quite able to join this club but I do have a 6600K on its way to replace my ageing 2500 (non K)

I literally have never tried to overclock in my life! I have read that it is easy to get my CPU to 3.9K with very little effort, how would I go about starting to try this when my CPU arrives?

I have ordered the Asus Z170-A motherboard. Is it a simple change in the settings/bios or more complicated than that?

At that sort of frequency it will be very simple, almost just a case of simply increasing the multiplier. Chances are you'd be able to do even higher than 3.9ghz on stock voltage.

My best advice between now and receiving it is to google some overclocking guides, and read, read and read.

Overclocking is not as complicated as it sounds, it just takes a lot of patience, and it's one of those things that once you start doing it you can get addicted and almost bordering on obsessive compuslive with regards to lowering temps, and trying to squeeze that last mhz out of your cpu.

Nowadays most bios are very user friendly, depending on what motherboard you opted for though. Either way bioses are a long way from what they used to be many years ago.

Again many motherboards even offer "auto" overclocks, or windows based software utilities, however my advice is use the bios, and don't rely on auto overclocks, as generally they use more voltage than is necessary.

Associate
At that sort of frequency it will be very simple, almost just a case of simply increasing the multiplier. Chances are you'd be able to do even higher than 3.9ghz on stock voltage.

My best advice between now and receiving it is to google some overclocking guides, and read, read and read.

Overclocking is not as complicated as it sounds, it just takes a lot of patience, and it's one of those things that once you start doing it you can get addicted and almost bordering on obsessive compuslive with regards to lowering temps, and trying to squeeze that last mhz out of your cpu.

Nowadays most bios are very user friendly, depending on what motherboard you opted for though. Either way bioses are a long way from what they used to be many years ago.

Again many motherboards even offer "auto" overclocks, or windows based software utilities, however my advice is use the bios, and don't rely on auto overclocks, as generally they use more voltage than is necessary.

Great thanks! So it isn't just a case of changing something in the bios and that's it? I kinda want an instant OC, I am not worried at this stage about pushing the CPU to it's limit! Maybe in the future when I have had time to read up on it all properly...

Soldato
My advise would be dont use auto overclocks and certainly dont use the auto voltage if you set an manual overclock or auto overclock.

It will send volage sky high and you could end up with a damaged chip

Associate
Great thanks! So it isn't just a case of changing something in the bios and that's it? I kinda want an instant OC, I am not worried at this stage about pushing the CPU to it's limit! Maybe in the future when I have had time to read up on it all properly...

Yes to simplify it, you're just changing a couple of things in the bios.

It's really easy. Skylake has changed slightly compared to the last few generations, where the base frequency can be adjusted to squeeze more out of your overclock.

With the likes of sandybridge, ivy etc you had no reason to adjust the base frequency (BCLK). Adjusting it would often just cause instability, with no real benefit.

What you could do to start with is just a simple overclock on stock voltage, all you'll end up doing is finding your stock voltage for your cpu, then simply increasing the multi, and stress testing to see what sort of frequency your cpu is capable of.

You'll need to download a few helpful programs if you don't have them already, cpu-z for example, some monitoring programs too, and various stress test tools.

I also personally disable any c states too initially, and by looking at cpu-z I can see my stock voltage. Otherwise your voltage and frequency is constantly changing depending on load.

My advise would be dont use auto overclocks and certainly dont use the auto voltage if you set an manual overclock or auto overclock.

It will send volage sky high and you could end up with a damaged chip

Exactly.

99% of the time most motherboards would feed more voltage than is necessary if you simply increased the multiplier and left the voltage on auto.

I found on auto overclocks the same principle applied, and relying on "tuning" software within windows was awful too.

Best advice as I said is read, read, read. You won't damage your cpu as long as you don't put crazy voltage through your cpu. Overclocking is always a case of adjusting voltage in the smallest increments (hence patience is needed). The end goal is to achieve the highest clock frequency using the lowest possible voltage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi, joined the club also, i am upgrading from a AMD 8350 , served me well since release but time to change, i find sometimes in games its bottle necking

Ordered
Intel Core i7-6700K
Asus ROG Z170 Maximus VIII Hero
Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 2x8gb , i aint ordered this no one seems to have it in stock :(

parts i will use from AMD 8350 computer
Case Fractal Design Define R4
OCZ 120GB Vertex4
Western Digital Black 2TB
CPU Cooler Noctua d14
850w Coolermaster silent pro
MSI 290 Gaming @ 1100MHZ GPU - 13000mhz Memory, this card still performances great, but will probably get a 980TI later
5 X Noctua NF-A14 Case Fans

im coming from a gigabyte AM3+ board, its fan control for case fans was crap, Asus has full control for each fan, has 4 connections

I would be happy with a 4.5ghz overclock which i think will be easy and stock voltage, so i could just do that with upping the BLK and Multiplayer, is leaving the voltage on auto mean its on stock voltage or manually set it to 1.3 ? , im not sure what the cache overclock is never heard of that before,

Thanks

Associate
is leaving the voltage on auto mean its on stock voltage or manually set it to 1.3 ? , im not sure what the cache overclock is never heard of that before,

Thanks

No do NOT leave the voltage on Auto if you increase the multiplier.

What happens is the bios then selects what it thinks the appropriate voltage is for that frequency, and it's 99% of the time higher than what is necessary.

What you do first is find the stock voltage of your cpu, then set it manually in the bios, then you would proceed to overclock using the multiplier.

What you also don't want to do is start overclocking other aspects like say ram, leave it at stock, as otherwise if you get an instability it's harder to find the root cause.

So concentrate on one item at time.

There are various ways of finding the stock voltage of your cpu, you could do it via the bios readings, it will show you current voltage and frequency, or you could disable the power saving states, boot into windows, and load up cpu-z.

Once you've found out your stock voltage, then enter it manually, then when you increase the multiplier etc the voltage will remain at what you set it at.

I'm simplifying things drastically, but the process would then be increasing the multiplier until you get to a point where you're unstable, you would then increase the voltage by one increment, test for stability, if stable, adjust the multi, when unstable adjust the vcore by one more increment, rinse and repeat, until you either hit a thermal wall, or simply hit the silicon lottery wall.

There comes a point where putting more voltage won't do anything to help you overclock more...

Last edited:
Soldato
No do NOT leave the voltage on Auto if you increase the multiplier.

What happens is the bios then selects what it thinks the appropriate voltage is for that frequency, and it's 99% of the time higher than what is necessary.

What you do first is find the stcok voltage of your cpu, then set it manually in the bios, then you would proceed to overclock using the multiplier.

What you also don't want to do is start overclocking other aspects like say ram, leave it at stock, as otherwise if you get an instability it's harder to find the root cause.

So concentrate on one item at time.

so i would leave everything on stock, boot up use something like CPUZ , stress it and look what the cpu voltage is ?

THanks

Associate
so i would leave everything on stock, boot up use something like CPUZ , stress it and look what the cpu voltage is ?

THanks

To find out the stock voltage of your cpu, you don't need to stress test it.

Just make a note of your voltage from CPU-Z. The reason I advise disabling power states, is because if you're sitting at idle the frequency will go low, and the voltage drops to reduce temps, save power etc.

The aim initially is to find out the stock voltage at stock frequency I.E 4ghz on a 6700K.

Once you have your stock voltage, make a note of it (or just remember it), then set that voltage manually in the bios. You then start trying to see what sort of overclock you can achieve at stock volts, once you get to a point where you're unstable is when you would then increase the voltage in small increments only.

Once you get to where you want to be with the cpu, you can then focus on ram etc.

As I said the last thing someone new to overclocking wants to do, is start trying to overclock ram and cpu and gpu all at the same time, when you bsod or crash etc you will struggle to find the root cause.

Last edited:
Soldato
To find out the stock voltage of your cpu, you don't need to stress test it.

Just make a note of your voltage from CPU-Z. The reason I advise disabling power states, is because if you're sitting at idle the frequency will go low, and the voltage drops to reduce temps, save power etc.

The aim initially is to find out the stock voltage at stock frequency I.E 4ghz on a 6700K.

got it, just the wait now :mad: , that ram just no one seems to have stock, seems popular

Associate
Haha yeh his videos do go on a bit :D

How are you getting on with your 6600k?

It's ok, match clock with my 2500k (4.6), so mixed feeling really, already have sata3 and not bought a nvme m.2 drive yet, PCI-e 2 vs 3 is negligible.

Might start the 6600k owners thread

Btw, can you take note of CPU temp when cache overclocked? Mine sky rocketed with 4.4ghz

Soldato
bit confused which is the sata express ports ? im guessing its the bottom 2 where the cable is connected

index.php

manual says the following

- 2 x SATA Express port (grey@bottom, compatible with 4 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports)
- 6 x SATA 6 Gb/s ports* (4 from SATA Express ports

Back
Top Bottom