• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

Associate
Add me to the Club :D

Picked up a 6700k and a MSI gaming M7.

I have been playing around with blck a bit to get this score: -

eiefCwu.jpg

Anything above 185 blck fails but still some tweaking left to do.

Last edited:
Associate
Getting tomorrow my i7 6700k paid £263.99 not bought a Matx motherboard yet got everything else ready so far its been very quiet on this forum on Skylake its all talk with X99 platform lol.

Edit Just got it delivered yeah great price too shame can't build rig still not much choice on Matx motherboards yet no stock either give me time to read up on overclocking Skylake not done any in years.

Last edited:
Permabanned
As someone that has only gone for ROG boards, I have to say I really like the new colour scheme Asus seems to have gone for on the Z170 boards.

They look much nicer than the standard red and black they tend to use. I'm probably getting older but I find the brash brightly coloured stuff can look a bit childish and tacky.

Nice motherboard.

Same here, I think this VIII looks a lot nicer than my VII.

Soldato
Hi, i think this is the right place for this, can delete my other post with same ,

how do i found out what the stock voltage is on cpu i have 6700k, before i start to overclock it

i get 2 different readings,

in bios i get this
6SSJ6aq.jpg

then with power saving off in Bios so doesnt lower cpu speed when idle i get
between 1.296v - 1.312v
XDt7P33.jpg

then when power saving is on in bios and power management on high performance in windows i get 1.328v
AVTUAlB.jpg

also in bios i looked everywhere i just cannot seem to find where i can change the cpu ratio and doesn't let me change CPU voltage manually, I have a MAXIMUS VIII HERO board

im coming from AMD which i used for years so this is abit new and was quite easy on AMD

i figured out how to change multiplier and cpu voltage, better to use keyboard then the mouse

so how would i start overclocking, i would be happy at 4.5ghz, also do i set the ram manually to 3000mhz with volt and timings or can i go with the xmp, while i overclock cpu ?

THanks

Soldato
All XMP is is a non-JEDEC SPD table programmed by the memory vendor in order to apply speeds above that of 2133 (stock). It serves as nothing more than a profile for the primary timings, all subsidiary timings are board controlled. Doesn't make a difference if you set these manually or apply XMP.

Also CPU-Z reads the VID, not vcore

Soldato
All XMP is is a non-JEDEC SPD table programmed by the memory vendor in order to apply speeds above that of 2133 (stock). It serves as nothing more than a profile for the primary timings, all subsidiary timings are board controlled. Doesn't make a difference if you set these manually or apply XMP.

Also CPU-Z reads the VID, not vcore

hi, when set ram by the XMP, my idle cpu voltage stays 1.248, this was around 0.800v when had ram on auto, aint set the ram manually and see if does same

just getting my head around this, just built it today, but love the full control of each fan,

Soldato
Really liking my i7 6700k in multiplier I set 4.5ghz without any volts and temps are 34c at idle. 65c on full load. The EVGA z170 stinger needs more biis updates to fix performance,but over all happy.

Soldato
Really liking my i7 6700k in multiplier I set 4.5ghz without any volts and temps are 34c at idle. 65c on full load. The EVGA z170 stinger needs more biis updates to fix performance,but over all happy.

nice, i aint tried overclocking , just left on stock for now and dont really need it , but for sure will later, just wanna run in stock and see if all ok first,

i had before AMD 8350 with a MSI 290 Gaming Card overclocked it GPU 1100mhz MEM 1300mhz, GTA 5 used to drop to 45fps at 1080p , now with 6700k using same card , same settings, miles better, rock solid on 60fps, my monitor is 60hz so have it locked at 60fps, and even have it maxed out just AA off, its brought the card to life .

i was thinking of getting a new card, but no need , thanks for the peeps that said noting wrong with the 290 :)

Soldato
OP
I see the prices are starting to creep upwards! Certainly way above the original estimate of around £270. Glad I got mine when I did.

Same. I'm curious to know how many OCUK have sold, since they ran out of stock of the 6700k a few days ago, had another batch in, now that batch is nearly sold out also.

Still really enjoying my upgrade, the jump from Bloomfield to Skylake is simply huge, and I still can't get over how cool and quiet it runs compared to my overclocked i7 920 :eek:

Associate
i cant believe the price these are at now £335.99 and add more for postage, its robbery, i got mine for £275 at the end,

There is no doubt that skylake is a good processor (though not the jump in performance from haswell people were expecting), but at £335 it is far too expensive.

In fact I looks like it's price has already had an effect as the 5820K is now sold out.
Hopefully it's only lack of stock issues that are making skylake so expensive.

Associate
I've got my new chip.
6700K + Nepton 120XL
Batch L520C033
Vid 1.264V

I've tested with Intel Burn test.
4.6GHz 1.25V
4.8GHz 1.39V
Was stable.

It is a good chip ?

Btw what is the highest vcore for 24/7 ?
I saw as is could be 1.45V,but hard to belive that.

Associate
Hi guys, add me to the club.

Mine is running nicely at 4.7GHz at the moment with the cache still at 4GHz, didn't know I could up that too. Currently at 1.35 vcore in the bios.

ROG Maximus Hero Mobo
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz
980Ti
Samsung m.2 SSD 256gb

All water cooled.

Excuse the power supply lead colours, my AX1200i stopped working and is being RMA'd at the moment, back to my trusty ST1000.

Soldato
Can we also add what motherboard results were on, i know some do already, and when you say you get like 4.7 oc, is that with boost, its been like 10 years since i overclocked :), cheers

Last edited:
Associate
Just ran mine with cache at 4.2GHz and the cine score went down to 1003? :rolleyes:

Just upped it to 4.3GHz cache with 1.39v and the CPU at 4.7GHz

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi, i have my pc sometimes left on and in Idle and love to have it to reduce voltage to cpu, i think it around 0.700v when in idle, and cpu @ 800mhz to save on electric , is there way i could overclock and still have this ? , im more then happy to have a overclock at 4.5ghz will more then enough for me !

Back
Top Bottom