Poll: Investigatory Powers Bill or "Snoopers' Charter" has been approved

Are you happy with the investigatory powers bill being passed?

• Yes, I fully agree with it.

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Yes, but I am uncomfortable with certain aspects of it.

Votes: 31 5.5%
  • I am undecided.

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • No, but I do agree with parts of it.

Votes: 103 18.2%
  • No, I fully disagree with it.

Votes: 391 69.1%

• Total voters
Caporegime
To be honest that minister walking around with all of their notes showing was obviously making an intentional leak, I think it's kind of treasonous the way pro-EU MP's are trying to sabotage British independence at every turn.

You've got people like Tim Farron campaigning for another referendum once we know the terms of Brexit but if that was to happen the EU will just give us the worst possible Brexit deal so that we all vote to stay in. He's probably all too aware of that which is why he's pusing.

Caporegime
To be honest that minister walking around with all of their notes showing was obviously making an intentional leak, I think it's kind of treasonous the way pro-EU MP's are trying to sabotage British independence at every turn.

You've got people like Tim Farron campaigning for another referendum once we know the terms of Brexit but if that was to happen the EU will just give us the worst possible Brexit deal so that we all vote to stay in. He's probably all too aware of that which is why he's pusing.

Interesting you don't mention treason when the pro-leave campaign literally lie through their teeth to get the vote they want. Surely that counts as treason to actually commit a fraudulent act to dupe the nation?

Soldato
I'm guessing individuals' search histories won't be recorded? With all of Google now being https, it would require some kind of man-in-the-middle setup to decrypt the data.

Man of Honour
I'm guessing individuals' search histories won't be recorded? With all of Google now being https, it would require some kind of man-in-the-middle setup to decrypt the data.

Ostensibly its just a recording of the top level domain rather than the exact page or content though they seem to be trying to push for recording of email and other social media activity, etc. :(

Soldato
Ostensibly its just a recording of the top level domain rather than the exact page or content though they seem to be trying to push for recording of email and other social media activity, etc. :(

Recording everyone social media for one year, and maintaining it safely?
This seems a spectacular project in terms of archiving, unless I am missing something.

Rroff what did you mean in terms of bad things to groups of young people?
They can't find groups of people in the current structure, they have to investigate a person, rather than a location, so you couldn't ask for a list of everyone who went to 'gay' domain, or 'sexchange' domain could you, as head of the Northern Ireland fire and rescue service?
Else its an utter recipe for witchhuntery.

Man of Honour
Rroff what did you mean in terms of bad things to groups of young people?
They can't find groups of people in the current structure, they have to investigate a person, rather than a location, so you couldn't ask for a list of everyone who went to 'gay' domain, or 'sexchange' domain could you, as head of the Northern Ireland fire and rescue service?
Else its an utter recipe for witchhuntery.

My context is more in the event of a leak of information, etc. than necessarily how the system would be used normally. At this stage it is pretty early days but sounds like quite a lot of potential for younger people being exposed in a very dangerous way if things did go wrong.

Caporegime
Try Torguard and look for Torguard promo's, sometimes you can knock the cost right off with high privacy for just £7+ a month.

I was originally on another VPN, forgot the name now began with I and it was pants, people were getting letters regarding torrent use :p

Nordvpns offer works out at 3 dollars a month.

Soldato

Technically HTTPS and TLS using pki are resistant to mitm attacks to my knowledge.

Soldato
We have a mitm set up at work so we can decrypt search terms. Have to display a disclaimer when a web browser is launched, obviously.

Are they controlling the browser installation, if so it isn't technically using PKI in my understanding as a local certificates authority is intervening.

Associate
A well known VPN Company who have servers in the UK have stated the Bill isn't being enforced as of yet , its still to be "determined"

Our datacenter partners have advised us that the Investigatory Powers Act is not yet being enforced and the specifics of how and when it will be enforced, and who will pay for it, is still to be determined.

Soldato
The Petitions Committee has decided not to schedule a debate on this petition. When it decides which petitions should be debated, the Committee looks at whether the subject has recently been debated by the House of Commons.

The Investigatory Powers Bill was debated on many occasions in Parliament before it became law. You can read all the debates here:
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2015-16/investigatorypowers/stages.html

Before it was introduced into Parliament, the Bill was investigated by a Committee of MPs and Members of the House of Lords, who heard evidence and produced a report with recommendations about the Bill. You can find out about the work of that Committee here:

https://www.parliament.uk/business/...joint-select/draft-investigatory-powers-bill/

Appears they've made up their minds...

Back
Top Bottom