Poll: Investigatory Powers Bill or "Snoopers' Charter" has been approved

Are you happy with the investigatory powers bill being passed?

• Yes, I fully agree with it.

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Yes, but I am uncomfortable with certain aspects of it.

Votes: 31 5.5%
  • I am undecided.

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • No, but I do agree with parts of it.

Votes: 103 18.2%
  • No, I fully disagree with it.

Votes: 391 69.1%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Can we start a petition for MPs browser history to be public domain?

Repeated investigations have found corruption, pedophilia and supression of the truth from mps in the past.

Clearly they need a watchful eye.

Man of Honour
[..]
If you can figure out a way to get 18 million legitimate votes on the petitions website, we may have a way out of this crap! ;)

The people in power don't give a damn about petitions. 18, 18 thousand, 18 million, doesn't matter. That site is just a very flimsy facade of pretending to have any consideration for the people they rule.

And "rule" is the right word. The people in power today have much more absolute power than an early medieval monarch. An early medieval monarch's absolutist power was unenforceable and therefore far from absolute in reality. The power of the current authorities is practical and enforceable and restraints on it are increasingly just window-dressing without substance. For example, the IPA gives the government the right to lie in court and forbid their target's legal representatives from questioning the evidence. No doubt May et alia would prefer to do away with trials entirely to cut costs and remove any chance of an acquittal, but it's not certain that such a move would be allowed today. In years to come it probably will, but probably not right now. Such a move might allow the other party of authoritarians to get into power.

I really didn't think I'd see the day when the UK was one of the most openly authoritarian states in the world. I remember when countries that routinely spied on their own citizens and made extremely broad-ranging ill-defined laws to use against anyone they wanted to target were villified in the UK. Now the UK is one of them and doing it more efficiently than any of the ones in my youth and will only get worse.

Soldato
I find it ironic how the approach from the government, is to spy, track, monitor, survey, harass - and otherwise remove any aspect of having a private life, meanwhile the very people supposed to protect us are actually ******* us over;

http://news.sky.com/story/hundreds-of-police-officers-accused-of-sexual-exploitation-10687318

Just makes me angry when the people in control and calling the shots, are generally more dangerous and worse than everyone else in almost all aspects

Soldato
Bring this stuff up in conversation in the local and people look at you like you're wearing a tinfoil hat. It's massively frustrating. :(

Yeah I know, it's incredible.

The thing I find interesting is it's effect on "reasonable doubt" if the prosecution evidence being presented, cannot be revealed, questioned, scrutinised or cross-examined in any way - what's the point in a trial? what's the point in a Jury? what's the point in a ****** judge?

Soldato
People will only take notice once it starts affecting their lives; being pulled up for what they thought was innocuous internet usage, organisations having detailed knowledge of what they thought was their private life etc..

"But I wasn't doing anything wrong.." they'll cry.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeh, man and the 'fascist' European Union is the problem.

I'm actually starting to wonder if this has only been passed so that the EU can step in and deem it to be a breach of human rights just prior to another EU referendum, remain would win by a landslide. I don't believe that the establishment ever wanted us to leave.

Man of Honour
I'm actually starting to wonder if this has only been passed so that the EU can step in and deem it illegal just prior to another EU referendum, they'd win by a landslide. I don't believe that the establishment ever wanted us to leave.

More everyday people would have to care though and so far most seem oblivious to the ramifications.

Soldato
I'm actually starting to wonder if this has only been passed so that the EU can step in and deem it to be a breach of human rights just prior to another EU referendum, remain would win by a landslide. I don't believe that the establishment ever wanted us to leave.

On the other hand it could be a ploy to push through a UK human rights act. EU steps in and they can proclaim how the EU negatively effects the UK's ability to govern itself and talk about how the UK should have its own version of the human rights act to resemble North Korea or China :D.

Sadly I expect it to be the more likely option considering the previous talk of creating our own.

Soldato
Quite interesting, some of the various adult themed websites now have popups linked to the various petitions related to this and related bills.
They clearly don't want to lose future business.

Man of Honour
Yeah I know, it's incredible.

The thing I find interesting is it's effect on "reasonable doubt" if the prosecution evidence being presented, cannot be revealed, questioned, scrutinised or cross-examined in any way - what's the point in a trial? what's the point in a Jury? what's the point in a ****** judge?

To maintain the pretence of a justice system. The facade is enough to fool most people most of the time and that's all that's required in a partial democracy.

Which we still have for the time being, although less so than before now that the authorities can and do monitor everyone for any sign of their political position. There are good reasons why voting reformers campaigned in the 19th century for voters to be able to conceal who they voted for. When the authorities know everyone's political position, the whole idea of a secret ballot has been subverted.

Back
Top Bottom