iRacing

Soldato
Yeah, my spec is certainly lower (G3258 @ 3.8GHz and a Radeon 7990, and crossfire doesn't work perfectly in iRacing :p) but it's not *that* bad, except as mentioned the low framerate (as low as 45 ish) and some paging on the first lap out the pits. Borderline whether I'd race with it, more from the paging side of things, but not undriveable.

And yeah, DX11 could/should be good hopefully, although not sure quite how much better, if any, performance will be on day one, but the DX11 drivers from both AMD/nvidia get a lot more love than DX9 these days for obvious reasons :p

It's odd that the full Nordschleife isn't as bad as the GP circuit though, at least for me...

I want them to implement OpenGL/Vulkan though so I can ditch windows, but not sure how likely that'll be :(

Soldato
Phase two complete :
GT2.jpg

Really didn't fancy the 24 hours of Daytona with the rubbery xbox rim!

Soldato
On the DX11 thing, the minimum system requirements got updated on the main site recently.

PC Computers:

Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10
64-bit Windows (32-bit support ends March 14, 2016)
Intel Core i3, i5, i7 or better or AMD Bulldozer or better
8 GB of RAM
NVidia GeForce 2xx series or better, 1GB+ dedicated video memory, AMD 5xxx series or better, 1GB+ dedicated video memory or better
Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4200+ or better, with 8GB of system RAM
10 GB of free disk space
Microphone optional, required for voice chat

They'd suggest that DX11 is likely in March, given the death of 32-bit and 8GB minimum.

Soldato
I think they've already said that DX11 is almost certainly going to be in the March build, whether it's usable is a different matter but it'll be there :p

They kind of 'need' to as well for the Rift CV1...

Man of Honour
Inside Sim Racing did a video card review a few days ago, testing performance in the current sims. They suggest that it's DX11 that makes the game run smoother at lower frame rates and when running in traffic.

Going to see if V Sync helps the stuttering, since my issue with the track isn't low frame rates.

Soldato
DX11 certainly has the capability to do so, and as mentioned that's where the majority of the driver work goes nowadays as DX9, or even 10, is so uncommon now. But that's not to say that it will immediately be amazing and show off all the benefits.

Ultimately the iRacing engine is based off NR2003, which itself was based off GPL. Obviously it's had multiple reworks so bears little real resemblance but I wouldn't be surprised if the bulk of the work to get DX11 is essentially been splitting the game/physics engine from the graphics rendering, so I would expect the first variant to basically be a DX11 copy of the DX9/10 code, with few real performance improvements.

Over time they can optimise it better and it gives far more scope for improving performance than the DX9/10 code but I wouldn't expect to see any major changes straight away in March.

Man of Honour
Cure the stuttering, speed up the web interface and reduce downtime and that will do me. Although the game isn't exactly cutting edge in terms of graphics. It's good enough for me with everything turned up.

Associate
I was going to suggest karting gloves as they're light weight. I use some winter full finger cycling gloves at the minute that have similar material on the palms. Only cost about £12/when I bought them and they're holding up well.

Man of Honour
I'm using Sparco KG-3's. Not cheap (over £30) but comfortable. I got mine from Demontweaks. The sizing guide on there site is spot on. I measured my hand how they say and my gloves fit......... well like a glove really. :D:D

Tried Nurburgring GP with adaptive VSync.

It's better and driveable, but it's still not smooth all the way around. Add to the total lack of grip and those kerbs and I'm giving this week a miss.

Back
Top Bottom