iRacing

Associate
To anyone running the Daytona 24hour today, best of luck! If you end up in my split I'm Team '4x Daytona' but I'm not driving till later this evening.

PS, Trading paints has had an update to the website today, hopefully team paints are now working :)

Associate
Do you know what split you're in? We're in 4.

Ours is going well so far, keeping it pretty clean and hoping to scoop up some places later on in the race. Currently running 13th after starting 17th.

Associate
How was the 24 hours then? I didn't drive it in the end as couldn't really spare the time but I did watch a little bit on Sunday morning with my coffee

Soldato
It was an experience. Really enjoyed it.

We finished 16th in the top split. After a couple of late incidents in the DP mid-pack we spent the last half hour trying to chase down the Apex car ahead.

An accident around 5am lost us about 12 laps in repair time. Towards the end of my second double stint at 8am ish another DP that just lapped me lost it into Turn 1 and I had nowhere to go other than into the side of it. Pitted early with a meatball, but got away with 10 seconds of optional (?) repairs. Last unexpected event was about midday. The fast guy that was supposed to be finishing the race started getting red latency and sync meters, so headed for the pits. Just as he hit the apron his line dropped! Short tow back to the pits, a short wait while iRacing processed the disconnect and changed the backup driver in.

Dynamic track got interesting. it was heavily rubbered in by the time I got up for the morning shift. Braking zones were very slippery, very easy to lock a brake in the DP.

Last edited:
Associate
My team had a great time in our split (4) There were some problems with getting everyone registered for the race start and because of that we never had a qual time as that driver couldn't get it, instead of starting 6th in the DP we ended up 17th, which is not all that bad in such a long race.

By the early hours of the morning we had worked our way up to 9th after having some great battles while we leap frogged 11th & now 10th, but as morning came their fastest drivers came back into the cars and we couldn't match their pace (0.5-1.0 faster each lap) and we ended up finishing about 20s behind 10th and around a minute from 9th, a respectable finish considering we finished ahead of quite a few teams who were faster than us but we won with attrition, not bad considering 2 of our team are over 60 and the youngest is 32!

That was the first endurance race I have done as the top class and it was a very different experience to being in the slowest, I like the DP a bit more for spending time in it now too. I did 178 laps and enjoyed each one No major repairs needed and no real dramas with any of the traffic either :)

Team 4x Daytona
http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=15834630&custid=147273

Associate
My team split it into 2 full fuel runs at a time, that was about 1hr 40 per stint, give or take.

If you mean overall I was reading on the forums about a guy running the whole thing solo for charity. He completed it in 2015 but I'm not sure how he got on this time.

Man of Honour
I did mean out of the guys in here.

An hour and 40 minutes is a long time to keep your concentration up. I bet it's actually quite physically demanding to? I've done the odd 70 minute race and that left me a bit damp with sweat afterwards.

Associate
I guess it didn't feel too bad as there was usually about half the team around to communicate with and update on progress etc, it's certainly different racing alone where your mind can wander. I have been mostly racing endurance events of late though, so I'm used to that sort of time span.

Physically, I needed a change of t-shirt each stint and I ran my wheel around a medium setting that was comfortable while still giving good feedback. I still can't praise the OSW feedback enough, I can almost drift the DP at will (or keep it on the very edge with greater ease might be a better way of explaining) and can save it easily if things ever get a little out of shape.

Associate
If anyone would like to field a large team from OCUK for one of the upcoming events (I only plan to run a couple of them) then I'm up for it, no matter of pace as long as we aim to finish :) I think you can have about 8 people in a team, so a good gate way if you fancy trying something like this :)

I know this is the iRacing thread but we're all sim races in here I guess so I can highly recommend checking out RFactor2 with the (free on steam workshop) Flat6 mod, absolutely fantastic and very very good FFB :)

Heusinkveld are soon to release their brackets for an 8020 rig that were on show at the Sim Expo at the back end of last year:

I think they look fantastic and I'll hopefully pick up a set and seriously start to work on designing the 8020 to go with it. I'm also definitely going to visit the Sim Expo this year after learning of it a little late last year.

Soldato
Those HE rigs look amazing. They do sell the 80/20 with them if you want Muska, or I think they said they can also give you the plans if you can source the 80/20 yourself for cheaper.

The http://sim-lab.eu rigs look great too. I'd probably go for one of those as I need a rig before I upgrade the wheel, so I need a wheel plate which the HE doesn't have.

Soldato
My team split it into 2 full fuel runs at a time, that was about 1hr 40 per stint, give or take.

Yeah, same here.

Pit stops are short - fuel and tyres is 20-25 seconds, driver change adds a couple of seconds to that. Everyone did two double stints, then re-assessed in the morning and planned to do another single each. We always had at least two people on, so there was someone to talk to/spot/take over.

My shoulders ache today. I'm used to three 25 minute races in the Kia which can give you a workout, and the 24 was less "sweaty". It's probably bad posture from racing at a desk with a reasonably powerful wheel. Daytona didn't feel that physical with the power steering up a notch - the superspeedway section gives a good break.

I'm thinking a proper cockpit is next on the list, although finding somewhere to put it will be a bit of a challenge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom