iRacing

Soldato
I just got iRacing, first time of even hearing of it let alone playing it. I am practicing the current MX5 series circuit and the quickest I can go after 10 laps practice is a 1:56mid. Pretty disappointed in myself as I seen myself as properly good on Forza3 but this game is just head and shoulders above Forza to be honest.

I am playing with a 360 controller as well though which I seen the downsides of after 2 minutes. It's the other way about with Forza, controller is quicker. But with iRacing this is certainly not the case.

So yeah, superb game, but I am really struggling and it's doing my head in because I thought I would jump straight in and be at least "OK" at it, not utterly hopeless and slow. /endofboohoo

Need a wheel and pedals, ugh. More money spending required.....! But 110% worth it I can imagine! :)

Man of Honour
No racing for me for a bit.

Opps

p1050800k.jpg

p1050799n.jpg

Soldato
I just got iRacing, first time of even hearing of it let alone playing it. I am practicing the current MX5 series circuit and the quickest I can go after 10 laps practice is a 1:56mid. Pretty disappointed in myself as I seen myself as properly good on Forza3 but this game is just head and shoulders above Forza to be honest.

I am playing with a 360 controller as well though which I seen the downsides of after 2 minutes. It's the other way about with Forza, controller is quicker. But with iRacing this is certainly not the case.

So yeah, superb game, but I am really struggling and it's doing my head in because I thought I would jump straight in and be at least "OK" at it, not utterly hopeless and slow. /endofboohoo

Need a wheel and pedals, ugh. More money spending required.....! But 110% worth it I can imagine! :)

I'm in a similar position, started iRacing properly a couple of weeks ago. I've mainly been playing Forza for the last couple of years.

I got a good wheel today and it transforms the iRacing experience. I keep typing game then deleting it!

Oh and bad luck on the wheel breakage barmyllama.

Soldato

Problem with Forza is, it's not a simulation and was designed to be played on a pad for casual gamers.

I can't see you being competitive on a pad, but then I hate the things!

Get an F430 pedal and wheel set for £60-70, it's a budget price but a very decent set for the money and you'll not look back at your pad.

Soldato
Problem with Forza is, it's not a simulation and was designed to be played on a pad for casual gamers.

You can force all the assists off. One racing league site I use do just this, plus force sim steering on. That's very ... erm ... interesting on a pad as there's no counter steer assist if you make a mistake.

It's nowhere near as hardcore as iRacing, but it's far from casual with everything off.

Man of Honour
Damn. How'd you manage that?

I just ordered the CSR Elite pedals and spent the rest of the money that I got from selling my iPad on iRacing :D Got all the tracks for the Skippy season and the Star Mazda.

Well a few months ago I had a move around in my man cave and managed to drop my wheel and the rim broke as shown in the previous pictures. After some research I settled on some Gorilla Glue and managed to repair it.

p1050813k.jpg

While I was driving Sebring I span the car for the umpteenth time and thumped the edge of the wheel, in a sort of road rage way and it broke again.

So I've dug out the Gorilla Glue and attempted another repair.

gorillaglue.jpg

When Overclockers have the new Ferrari 458 GT Rim in stock I'll get one of those.

thrustmasterferrarigtew.jpg

Associate
Ahhh. Unlucky! You can buy GT rims direct from Thrustmaster too... I've been meaning to find out how much they cost. I'm a fan of the fixed paddles and the diameter, so the 458 rim doesn't really appeal to me...

Associate
:D I'm surprised they've started to allow gamepads tbh. I mean... you would struggle just as much to drive a real car with a gamepad... although I'd quite like to give it shot.

Soldato

I can't see you being competitive on a pad, but then I hate the things!

Get an F430 pedal and wheel set for £60-70, it's a budget price but a very decent set for the money and you'll not look back at your pad.

Forza is an in-between really, I raced with every assist off and had t cranked as difficult as it could be, so if you verse that against with assists on or against the likes of other more arcadey racers, it is really a simulation to a certain extent, nothing like a Need for Speed or Project Gotham or something like that it does take skill with set to hardest. But in terms of comparison to iRacing I agree it makes Forxa almost feel like an arcade game.

I'll checkout the F430 you mention, however, I've already spec'd up the Fanatec kit I want (note want, will never own as it's almost £600....) - The Logitech G27 seems the most likely option but it will be second hand from eBay. Is the G27 a good step up from the F430 you mention for the money? It seems the Logitech is very popular as the middle step between less money option versus the Fanatec/Thrustmaster options which are mega bucks (I bet they are fantastic to race with though!).

Associate
Will that not mean double shifters and the chance of knuckle ripping on the stationary base shifters?
That's correct, they are a tad close to the fixed ones, and according to ISR's review, both sets of shifters are mapped to the same button, unlike the F1 rim which can be mapped separately. That's a bit of an oversight... unless they can address it in a firmware update.

Soldato
Ah okay. I tried Sebring for a bit and gave up quickly and that track is just way too bumpy for me to learn right now :p

The G27 would be worth getting over the F430 just for the pedals IMO.

Soldato
I'll checkout the F430 you mention, however, I've already spec'd up the Fanatec kit I want (note want, will never own as it's almost £600....) - The Logitech G27 seems the most likely option but it will be second hand from eBay. Is the G27 a good step up from the F430 you mention for the money? It seems the Logitech is very popular as the middle step between less money option versus the Fanatec/Thrustmaster options which are mega bucks (I bet they are fantastic to race with though!).

I've owned a DFGT, F430, G25, G27 and now have a Fanatec GT3 with Clubsport2 pedals.

Fanatec wins handsdown for me, the pedals are especially 'nice' to the touch.

But yes, a G27 is certainly a decent step up over an entry wheel like the F430.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice :)

Taking a look and it'll really have to be the G27 for me as I definitely want clutch and shifter. I'll just need keep an eye on eBay and try to nail one for as cheap as possible that's very good condition. Playing with a controller in the mean time will just make it all the more awesome when I get a wheel haha.

Man of Honour
Ahhh. Unlucky! You can buy GT rims direct from Thrustmaster too... I've been meaning to find out how much they cost. I'm a fan of the fixed paddles and the diameter, so the 458 rim doesn't really appeal to me...

When I broke the rim initially I emailed Thrustmaster to see if they sold the hub separately, they didn't. So asked about the GT rim as a separate purchase and I think buying direct from them it would have been £100 basically.

Will that not mean double shifters and the chance of knuckle ripping on the stationary base shifters?

I should be ok, there's plenty of distance between the rim and the fixed paddles.

Back
Top Bottom