Just gave blood again, do you?

Associate
Same, had some 2 pints/units about 5 years ago now, there seems to be a blanket 'since 1st Jan 1980' policy in place,

I can see why to an extent, but surely the blood I was given was testing, and the blood I would give would be tested, so is there really that big a risk?

It's not a "big" risk, but an increased one. All the questions they ask, are (in theory) about getting blood from the lowest risk group. If the risk from someone who hasn't had a transfusion is X, then the risk post transfusion is 2X and so forth.

Whilst I don't agree with their reasoning on gay people donating, their thinking is that there is an increased occurance of HIV in the gay community and whilst all blood is tested for a wide variety of diseases (including HIV) if there has been a recent transmission (not sure on the time scale, few days I guess?) the tests do not detect it.

I am up to 5 donations now, I don't mind doing it, takes 5 minutes to donate, 30 mins (or less) for the whole session and I get to donate at my local rugby club which is nice. I wish they had more sessions that you could just drop in on, all the ones around here are booked solid and it can be an age before being seen.

Associate
It's not a "big" risk, but an increased one. All the questions they ask, are (in theory) about getting blood from the lowest risk group. If the risk from someone who hasn't had a transfusion is X, then the risk post transfusion is 2X and so forth.

Whilst I don't agree with their reasoning on gay people donating, their thinking is that there is an increased occurance of HIV in the gay community and whilst all blood is tested for a wide variety of diseases (including HIV) if there has been a recent transmission (not sure on the time scale, few days I guess?) the tests do not detect it.

Actually I think that the reason for not being able to donate post transfusion is that with any transfusion your body can produce antigens against the transfused blood. So you donating means a chance on increased antigens which could affect the person receiving it, increasing their chance of a transfusion reaction. People who have received blood in the past get more thorough screening at the lab when they are cross-matched for this reason.

As to the second point in sure your right and its up to 3 months from being infected with HIV to it showing up in your blood on screening.

On topic, I don't but only because I never seem to have time, its something im meaning to do.

Hawker

NB also to whoever said having venepuncture causes embolism back on page 1 ?source please, either horrendously rare or just wrong.

Associate

My partner had Leukaemia which throughout treatment required around 60 blood and platelet transfusions from start to finish as a result I know a little about how blood is screened and stored, my good friend is also a medical bio scientist who screens blood and platelets. The only disease that cannot be detected is mad cow disease apparently, HIV can be detected within hours, and blood is normally stored and rechecked at a later stage. From being taken from the donor to be transfused the blood will be screen around 8-9 times. Samples from each donor are stored for life for tracking reasons.

I would love to give blood but unfortunately due to my sexual preference I cannot, I have been in a committed relationship for 6 years but this counts for nothing, however I understand the reasons behind this. What I don't understand is why straight people can go on holiday having sex protect and unprotected every night if they wish, come home and give blood without question. The screening process has improved that much within the past 15 years that not a single case of HIV has been transmitted in UK

Having seen the good that giving blood does first hand forces me in to a situation, do I lie about my preference as I am not overlay obvious or do I simply not donate. I am allowed to donate bone marrow just not blood and platelets which is a real shame.

Soldato
I don't give blood, but if any of my loved ones needed a pint or a kidney I would be the first to offer.

I would give lots of blood however if I knew who and what it was going to be used for.

Associate
Donated 3 times now, it's pretty much the only good thing I do :D

Well I wouldn't want to give my blood to save a child abuser for example.

Each to his own, but I guess there's a higher probability of it going to a 'decent' citizen. I'd also like to think that if I ever need blood, there'll be some for me.

Soldato
As said above, really. I'd love to give blood, there's nothing wrong with it at all. But if they aren't going to bring the rules up to date, they shouldn't really complain about not having enough blood. I certainly don't want any STDs, I have a partner who's clean, and that's it.

Maybe in a few years. At least I can donate my organs, apparently they haven't caught 'the gay' :p

Permabanned
ewww who wants gay blood.

:p

Oh wait i've been in an accident and have lost 1/2 my blood. Me please!

Seriously though I'm guessing it's due to the lifestyle choices of a fair percentage? Not sure myself but I'm assuming there are some figures to back it up?

Soldato
Who = people who need it.
What = to save lives.

Stop being a pansy and give blood next time it's in your area.

Like I say, I would rather not help a nonce to live ; but if we were dear friends and was in need I would help you no questions. :)

Edit: not inplying you're a kiddie fiddler, thought I'd better clear that up :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
My father was a severe haemophiliac.

Had it not been for the generosity of others he wouldn't have lived the life he did, and I certainly wouldn't be here as a result either

Now hopefully that don't put too many of you off giving blood ;), but the difference really is life and death.

You never know if or when you yourself will need to rely or hope on the generosity of others either.

Give blood :p

Back
Top Bottom