Kerbal Space Program

Soldato
OK cool, I have the hang of orbits now (near perfect ones) and also adjusting it to land within about 50K of the KSC! :D

Now to try and orbit the Mun (deliberately!)

I'm still not sure about how to adjust the angle of my orbit once it's established, so I'm using the 270 trick. Any tips on how to adjust if it's out of kilter?

Also, I tried installing a mod but don't seem to be able to get it working. Is it a load of dragging and dropping or am I supposed to be able to just drop them into my plugins folder?

Soldato
That different Conics looks interesting, might have to give setting it to 3 a shot. The others don't really offer anything over the current one for me.

Managed a successful orbit and land actually on the Kerbal strip in my Space Plane earlier. :) Good fun trying to judge dropping from orbit right. Ended up about 50km away and flew the rest on jet engines before burning off some excess fuel and landing smoothly.

PianoBasher - which mod? Most of the ones I've tried have been structured so you can copy most of the things from the zip file straight into the KSP folder. Plugins into plugins, parts into parts etc.
Regarding changing the orbit angle, say you are doing a 90 degrees orbit, ie anti clockwise looking down on Kerbin. You want to move this to a vertical orbit, turn yourself perpendicular to your current orbit, ie 180 or 360 degrees. level on the horizon and burn - it'll turn your orbit. You'll have to constantly adjust the angle because as you turn the orbit you'll stop being perpendicular.

Last edited:
Soldato

Thanks a million, makes sense!

I was trying Dynasat but don't understand how I'm supposed to install it as there's no readme.

I'd quite like some new propulsion systems and the like, are there any "must have" mods?

Really enjoying this game, it makes me appreciate how much hard work must go into doing the real thing. The calcs must be a friggin' nightmare!

Soldato
Thanks a million, makes sense!

I was trying Dynasat but don't understand how I'm supposed to install it as there's no readme.

I'd quite like some new propulsion systems and the like, are there any "must have" mods?

Really enjoying this game, it makes me appreciate how much hard work must go into doing the real thing. The calcs must be a friggin' nightmare!

This link helped me understand adjusting changing the angle. :)

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0

Basically, just point completely perpendicular to your orbit path, (up or down depending on if you want clockwise or c-clockwise) and burn. :)

Soldato
Cheers chaps! I've watched a few videos and read some docs now. I think I'm ready to attempt Mun orbit (possibly landing_ tonight. :) I've tested my lander out on the home planet and have the hang of feathering the burn to land safely now. Took me a while to suss out how the legs work!

Soldato
Landing on the Mun is quite different, I wouldn't say it's harder. You just have to plan ahead a lot more, no air resistance and much lower gravity makes it hairy sometimes!

ps - made it to space!!!

rD3XX.jpg

Was fiddly, had to change the engine positions around a bit on the actual station, as adjusting the orbit with the engine not facing backwards in relation to the pod was a pain in the rear!

Last edited:
Soldato
Was fiddly, had to change the engine positions around a bit on the actual station, as adjusting the orbit with the engine not facing backwards in relation to the pod was a pain in the rear!

Amazing - what mods are you running? :D

Also is there a way to destroy stuff like debris that's in orbit and cluttering up bits of the map?

BTW: I want a mod that has parts for the GladOS cores so I can launch them... "space... so much space". :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Main ones are:
Kosmos (all 3 packs, Rockets, station parts, lander parts)
Damned Aerospace (not using much of this at the moment.... Helicopter parts)
Damned Robotics
Mechjeb

Kosmos is the main one I use, huge amount of parts. Pretty much that whole space station is Kosmos parts.

Soldato
Main ones are:
Kosmos (all 3 packs, Rockets, station parts, lander parts)
Damned Aerospace (not using much of this at the moment.... Helicopter parts)
Damned Robotics
Mechjeb

Kosmos is the main one I use, huge amount of parts. Pretty much that whole space station is Kosmos parts.

Thanks, I'll get downloading when I finish work. Have to say this is hugely addictive, and quite relaxing to play until you try to land something.

I've built a few shuttles and struggled to land them safely. It's a bit hit and miss as I get down to the runway at KSC as I sometimes manage to wobble and explode as I hit the tarmac. Does that Kosmos back have Space Shuttle style boosters and the like?

I've also seen screenshots with Appolo style lander parts and was wondering where they came from.

Can't wait for the full game - this has massive potential with a campaign mode.

Soldato
No Space shuttle style boosters really. They've got 1.25m fueltanks and extra powerful rockets but nothing that matches the visuals of the real shuttle.

Main frustration I am having is that I keep building things too big for my computer to render smoothly :D

Soldato
Main frustration I am having is that I keep building things too big for my computer to render smoothly :D

After seeing all the complaints about frame rates, I can't say I really notice many issues on my rig. Always seems pretty smooth, although I'm finding the gap in the sound loop for rockets burning annoying!

I'm obviously not building things big enough if I'm not having problems. :p

I really hope they turn this into a tycoon style game where you can make money selling services via comsat relays, TV broadcasting, supply missions to space stations etc...

A nice addition would be a "mini orbital map" in the corner of the screen to save you switching between the two.

Also, is there any way to stay stationary in orbit so that you're not rotating all the time?

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, is there any way to stay stationary in orbit so that you're not rotating all the time?

You mean a geosynchronous orbit? Where you stay above the same spot on the ground? You need to reach a certain height so your speed matches the same as the rotation of Kerbal.

If you mean so that your ship always points in the same direction.. You already always point the same direction. The perceived rotation is because you're moving around Kerbal. :o

I've just installed the Kosmos packs and I'm spoiled for choice now. :D Except I can't seem to use lots of parts like solar panels and engines? :( It says it's not supported in my version of KSP. :confused:

Do the docking modules actually work? I mean, can I build a satelite in parts, and provided I can figure out rendezvous, link them together?

Soldato
I've just installed the Kosmos packs and I'm spoiled for choice now. :D Except I can't seem to use lots of parts like solar panels and engines? :( It says it's not supported in my version of KSP. :confused:

Cheers!

First time load with new mods like this appears to take an age!

Has anyone tried using XBOX360 pad for piloting or is it not really viable?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hurray - done it!

landedmun.png

Wish I'd landed the other side so I could see Kerbal though! Grr, I didn't realise the Mun always has the same face towards the planet like ours!

I've got the hang of combating horizontal momentum with the little jet thingies now, although I have to rotate my view to stop it from being confusing!

Hopefully should be OK getting home!

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers!

First time load with new mods like this appears to take an age!

Has anyone tried using XBOX360 pad for piloting or is it not really viable?

Should work fine. But you will have too set it up in settings.
I still wouldnt advise it, not responsive enough imo (Xbox360. Xbox460 Might be better. :p ;) )

Congrats on the landing..
Nothing beats the sense of pride with your first landing.

I succesfully landed on the Mun too for the first time*
Playing on my MacBook Pro with Track Pad only.. with KSP 13.3!
Well chuffed.. :D

Soldato
Congrats on the landing..
Nothing beats the sense of pride with your first landing.

Oh yes! Now I have the hang of the translation controls it has become a bit less of a mad panic. :) I failed miserably first attempt but second time was GREAT SUCCESS! :D

I'll get them home tomorrow then I'll have a go at Minimus orbit via the Mun. :D

Soldato
Yes, I do! It'll be a specific DLL your missing for the solar panels, I needed to grab it too when I installed the mod I think. When I fire up my pc later I'll check what it was and point you in the right direction. Surprised it is affecting some engines too, is it just the small engines or the big 1m engines too?

Re: Xbox controller. I use mine, left joystick for pitch and roll, right joystick for camera, L and R for yaw (need to hit capslock for precision mode to get it smooth, as the triggers don't get picked up correctly as they act on separate axis) and various other buttons for stage and throttle. Works nicely, definitely finding it hugely precise in comparison to a keyboard, must have for some of the jets I've got as they're really twitchy. Imagine a proper joystick is better though - might dig my old one out from the loft :)

Back
Top Bottom