Kerbal Space Program

Soldato
Yes, I do! It'll be a specific DLL your missing for the solar panels, I needed to grab it too when I installed the mod I think. When I fire up my pc later I'll check what it was and point you in the right direction. Surprised it is affecting some engines too, is it just the small engines or the big 1m engines too?

Cheers. :)

It's all the Kosmos engines for me I think. The RCS thrusters are all ok, but in terms of the actual engines I just have the three that come with the game. :(

Soldato
Re: Xbox controller. I use mine, left joystick for pitch and roll, right joystick for camera, L and R for yaw (need to hit capslock for precision mode to get it smooth, as the triggers don't get picked up correctly as they act on separate axis) and various other buttons for stage and throttle. Works nicely, definitely finding it hugely precise in comparison to a keyboard, must have for some of the jets I've got as they're really twitchy. Imagine a proper joystick is better though - might dig my old one out from the loft :)

My moon landing was extremely twitchy last night, I ended up overdoing the burn a few times and shooting up again... more precision for landing would really be helpful. Can you map the D-Pad to RCS translation?

I'll give it a go later. :)

BTW I see lots of screenshots online with massively improved textures (eg: for the Mun)... any ideas where I can get some? I'm hoping my GPU will be fine with it as it's a 2GB job.

Is anyone actually going full geek and doing their own sums here? I'd be quite interested in doing some reading, although I'm not sure my maths is up to doing it myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Orderoftheflame - Have you got both the MuMechLib.dll and PowerTech.dll in the plugins folder? You are running the full up to date version of the game aren't you?

If it's not that... I'd ask on the Kosmos thread on the Kerbal forum.

Don't think it liked mapping the dpad to anything in game, which was a shame.

Soldato
Orderoftheflame - Have you got both the MuMechLib.dll and PowerTech.dll in the plugins folder? You are running the full up to date version of the game aren't you?

If it's not that... I'd ask on the Kosmos thread on the Kerbal forum.

Don't think it liked mapping the dpad to anything in game, which was a shame.

Yep, paid for, v0.15 I think. The only one I can get from my profile in the store at least.

I'll have look when I get home. Thanks for your help. :)

Soldato
Im now sending up condemned modules with "comsat" in the name so i can have comsats orbiting Kerbal, then bringing the Kerbins home after 20-40 day missions... Good job i didnt have oxygen mods or they would all be dead! :( lol

Soldato
I managed to make it to Minimus and back! The landing was a nightmare, one of my legs got damaged by a separation so I had to land on a slope to stop me tumbling over and not being able to launch again! :eek:

minimuslanding.png

I ran out of fuel on the way back and had to get back down from kerbal orbit using only RCS (fortunately loads of fuel for that!) :p

Made an intersecting orbit around Kerbal to catch minimus but missed first time, fortunately I managed to do a retro burn next time around to encounter it. Really getting the hang of this now. :D

Soldato
What? Your ship exploded in response to a 2.2m/s touchdown? How flimsy is that?

Also, I love the faces your kerbalnauts make there. Happy and contented -> slightly alarmed -> "OH NO OUR SHIP BLEW UP HOW DO WE GET HOME NOW?!?"

Soldato
now you need to build a rocket that can go rescue them! :D

I'd quite like to do a rescue mission... is it possible with mods to do this? ie: use a docking ring or something to pick them up and fly them back to Kerbal?

Re: crashing - you need more legs - and make sure they extend a decent amount below the engines. It looks like the engine hit the floor first then a chain reaction kicked off. :p

For my landings now, I move the camera directly above the craft, rotate the view so that the RCS translations correspond to the correct directions and then use lots of RCS to reduce horizontal momentum to a minimum, and use feathered blasts of landing engine with the odd bit of RCS up/down.

Last edited:
Associate
ok i have got the hang of getting into orbit not , all be it weird shaped ones and i was wondering what mods you guys would recommend as a good starting point.
None... But Iam a purist.
Continue too learn to improve your orbits, create lovely circular one, ones over North South Poles.
Learn Retro-Grade burns, Litho orbits, Very Low orbit Litho manuvears..

Learn your Translation controls, Make your ship more efficent.
Then when your ready, reach for the Mun an Minimus..

Also, I love the faces your kerbalnauts make there. Happy and contented -> slightly alarmed -> "OH NO OUR SHIP BLEW UP HOW DO WE GET HOME NOW?!?"

My opinion, he came in just a little too fast. An didnt have his Horizontal drift stopped, which clearly ripped his craft appart. :mad:

Soldato
Seanoog - what's litho? Done some googling and can't see anything even slightly related to orbits. Guessing you've just done away with the end of the word? :p

RiseAgainst -for mods see this post of mine.
You'll find them all on the official forum in the addon releases section.

Mechjeb essentially sounds like a bit of a cheat... Not sure I like the sound of it. :confused:

Soldato
Yes and No. It's quite handy if you are launching an insanely big thing into space and your pc is running awfully, where all you care about is it getting into orbit.
The other plus side is that for ships that have multiple stages, you can put a mechjeb on each stage and come back and fly them later.

For example, make a rocket plane, with a station on the back. Have your main control pod on the plane. Fly into space, put the station in orbit, come back and land.
Go to the Tracking view and you can hop into the station with no Kerbals in it providing you have a mechjeb mod on it :)
You don't have to use all it's features, I only really use it on the odd occasion. I find when I'm flying something which my pc can render smoothly I can get into a perfect orbit quicker than Mechjeb will do it.

Associate
Yes, I believe its shortened..
From originally what, I dont know.. :p

But too describe it the term Litho Orbit.
Its an orbit a pilot enters when trying to scrub off energy.
Using Kerbin's / Earth's Atmosphere too help slow the craft.

Example: Kerbin.
Low orbit 75KM
High orbit 500KM.

Entering Litho Orbit. You'd lower the low orbit too 40-60KM, an use Kerbins Atmo too slow the vessel.
After several orbits, the craft will have lost enough momentum too re-enter Atmo. :cool:
Great form of emergency breaking if your out of main thrusters, so using RCS to achieve Litho Orbit, letting phyics do the rest.. :cool:

Soldato
Any tips on setting up a rendezvous orbit... is this stupidly difficult to do, seeing as you'll have to match speed and exact orbit?

Associate
Any tips on setting up a rendezvous orbit... is this stupidly difficult to do, seeing as you'll have to match speed and exact orbit?

Sadly no.
Rendezvous, is still one area thats kicking my ***
I have tried on many occasions, gotton close, like 2KM close, an then the orbits split! :rolleyes:
I do continue too learn, but I am not devoting 100% of my time to master this aspect of the game! Dont see the point, considering docking hasn't been implemented, yet! :)

Associate

It was due to landing on a small hill, one of the legs broke then it tilted forward and somehow blew up. I guess i was just unlucky :(

Back
Top Bottom