Kitty held at Vets till bills paid, 'interest' added daily. Help?

Soldato
IIRC, that kitty is already on a payment plan after an op on her stomach due to an issue 6 months ago. I cannot confirm if the payment have complete, perhaps this was this problem thus the 'random'?

I would really recommend getting pet insurance for the seemingly accident prone kitty!

Associate
That's ridiculous but it's not the first time I've heard about something like that. Are they even allowed to charge the extra £20 every day?
Maybe it's listed in some fine print somewhere..

Has she asked if it's possible to come up with a payment plan?

Why's it ridiculous? Your late paying and the cat needs feeding daily also a nurse to clean its pen out. If you carnt afford to keep a pet then don't have one. Also try talking to the vets to pay a little bit of your bill off

Man of Honour
Get her to ring the RSPCA and say her cat is stressed out by being kept hostage.

Seriously ask about a payment plan and tell them about her financial status as it may help. I somehow think they can keep the cat as she probably signed the cat away when it went in for treatment. You will probably have to pay the whole lot so get it sorted tomorrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
This does not sound legal to me, but the simple fact is, that you need to stop the £20.00 a day fee as the longer the issue is left or investigated legally, costs are going to go up.

Sounds like a bloody nightmare to be honest but as has been stated before, pay them up then demand filthy favours from the Mrs. :D

Soldato
OP
I assume you're used to staying in hotels for free?
No but for £20, I've stayed in B&B that offered Breakfast that filled me up for 2 meals a few times before.
Is this legal? It doesn't sound like it to me. I think a jailbreak is in order.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team!

Burn the place down. Kill them. Kill their kids, kill their wives, kill their parents and their parents' friends. Burn down the houses they live in, kill the people that owe them money.

Put a smile on my face but from the looks of it, I'll step in and just work like a mad man for the next few weeks, and pray to whatever deity out there that can offer the swift return of my money.

Soldato
Have a read of this.

Holding an animal against unpaid fees

17. Although veterinary surgeons do have a right in law to hold an animal until outstanding fees are paid, the RCVS believes that it is not in the interests of the animal so to do, and can lead to the practice incurring additional costs which may not be recoverable. This right should therefore only be exercised in extreme cases and after discussion with the RCVS.

Whatever the outcome they shouldn't be using this vet again.

Soldato
This is so unprofessional, the vets should release the cat back to your girlfriend. The outstanding bill should be collected via a debt recovery company or small claims court!

Soldato
OP
I'll say it.

If you can't afford to look after a cat maybe you shouldn't have one.
Apologies if my OP left out some details but as said, it's the GF's mum that has brought this upon her family and my girlfriend is having to pay for almost everything these days. Just very bad budgeting from her mum IMO.

Have a read of this.

Holding an animal against unpaid fees

17. Although veterinary surgeons do have a right in law to hold an animal until outstanding fees are paid, the RCVS believes that it is not in the interests of the animal so to do, and can lead to the practice incurring additional costs which may not be recoverable. This right should therefore only be exercised in extreme cases and after discussion with the RCVS.

Whatever the outcome they shouldn't be using this vet again.
Interesting to know and I'll make sure they don't use that vert again, or at least avoid it.

Soldato
So she took it to the vets knowing she didnt have the funds to pay for its treatment?

A vets practice isnt a charity,if she knew she didnt have the funds she should have taken it to a PDSA centre.

Back
Top Bottom