Kitty held at Vets till bills paid, 'interest' added daily. Help?

Soldato
OP
sell the story to 4chan

I honestly thought of that first but then the mother might become a target rather than the Vet. Anyway, paying the bills, freeing the cat, looking at affordable pet insurance before the next issue arise. Lets hope Daisy, the cat appreciate my more than a meow the next time I see her.

Caporegime
IIRC, that kitty is already on a payment plan after an op on her stomach due to an issue 6 months ago. I cannot confirm if the payment have complete, perhaps this was this problem thus the 'ransom'?

Probably. They're not there to issue endless lines of credit. Its only £160 so if that means you have to make some sacrifices to your business then so be it - you can't expect the vet to lose out because your g/f and her mother can't manage their finances.

Also continually chasing people via debt management firms etc.. will lead to them not necessarily recovering the debt and also associated admin work/costs - I'd wager that people who allegedly have no money somehow miraculously manage to come up with said money when they get told the little kitty isn't coming home unless they pay what they owe. Tis a fairly simple solution and I can't say I blame the vet for doing it in problem cases.

Soldato
OP
dowie, your argument for the vet seems sound and I didn't think of it that way. It's a good tactic on their part and perhaps that isn't quite as unreasonable as I first thought of it.

Soldato
OP
So if you had found the cat yourself you wouldn't have taken it to the vet?

You're liable for the bill, if you had pet insurance you wouldn't be, it's not expensive.

No sympathy here, get begging.
If it's my own kitty, I'd had insurance and rainy day funds at the ready before I even got the cat.

Is what they're doing documented in their t&c's or policy?

Not sure, will read soon.

Associate
Keeping the cat until you pay the bill? Dubious. Charging you £20 a day to look after the cat whilst they refuse to let you collect it? Ridiculous.

Soldato
Have a read of this.

Holding an animal against unpaid fees

17. Although veterinary surgeons do have a right in law to hold an animal until outstanding fees are paid, the RCVS believes that it is not in the interests of the animal so to do, and can lead to the practice incurring additional costs which may not be recoverable. This right should therefore only be exercised in extreme cases and after discussion with the RCVS.

Whatever the outcome they shouldn't be using this vet again.

Doesn't mention anything about the legality of the £20 a day charge though.

Also, why is the mum not helping out? She took it to the vets after all.

Soldato
tbh I'd gather up the 160 quid bill, pay them and take my kitty. If they want to complain about any interest they can but I'm taking my dam kitty. 20 quid a day seems incredibly excessive too so I'd probably fight over the legality of that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Money is given, kitten is released.
Apparently the kitty has pet insurance with an excess of £50 BUT money have to be paid upfront and claimed back. How ridiculous is that!!

Caporegime
Its not interest, it is a fee to look after than animal. £20 is probably a standard rate that all cats get charged at for all cases where the cat must stay in for observation.

Keeping the cat at the vet is perfectly legal, but normally only done in some cases, i.e. the vet doesn't believe they will get the money back/repeated offences.

The vet should have specified estimated surgery costs before hand.

IF you have something valuable (good watch o diamond ring etc). you can leave as a deposit they should accept that

Man of Honour
Apparently the kitty has pet insurance with an excess of £50 BUT money have to be paid upfront and claimed back. How ridiculous is that!!

Fairly standard practice. The few schemes that allow a credit style operation do so by charging more and restricting your choice of vets.

Caporegime

AFAIK, it is fairly standard. Otherwise you could could authorize some stupid surgery like hip-replacement for £3000 paid by insurance, except it wont actually be covered by the policy.
The vet can't deal with tracing up insurance companies and trying to find out what will or wont be paid.

Caporegime

nice one - hopefully your gf (and her mother) appreciates your efforts.

Yeah that is a bit odd - I'd have expected pet insurance to work out more like BUPA - ought to really be able to phone up and get a claims number - then head to the nearest vets they have an arrangement with.

Caporegime
Yeah that is a bit odd - I'd have expected pet insurance to work out more like BUPA - ought to really be able to phone up and get a claims number - then head to the nearest vets they have an arrangement with.

From their point of view, in the case of a claim that turns out to be non-qualifying, it's easier to reject a refund than to ask people to pay retrospectively.

Associate
Its not interest, it is a fee to look after than animal. £20 is probably a standard rate that all cats get charged at for all cases where the cat must stay in for observation.

Keeping the cat at the vet is perfectly legal, but normally only done in some cases, i.e. the vet doesn't believe they will get the money back/repeated offences.

The vet should have specified estimated surgery costs before hand.

IF you have something valuable (good watch o diamond ring etc). you can leave as a deposit they should accept that

But surely the £20 should not be paid where the vets are holding it by force it is not like after an operation where the pet needs to stay to be cared for in case of complications.

I do not see a big issue with holding the pet if there is a good reason to over non-payment history, but I do not see how you could fairly justify a £20 charge a day for doing so. A charge that would not be asked for by the owners as they would take the pet home.

Man of Honour
But surely the £20 should not be paid where the vets are holding it by force .

Why? everything that is held by force you have to pay storage for, as it costs money to do so.

Just borrow the money, or better still talk to the vet and try and work something out.

Back
Top Bottom