Kitty held at Vets till bills paid, 'interest' added daily. Help?

Soldato
As above, really - she shouldn't have an animal that is beyond her financial means. To take it to the vets, and expect charity is both selfish and expectant.

Get rid, before she starts expecting charity from you. ;)

Soldato
OP
If you keep bailing her out, she will never change. Why should you eat baked beans and put your plans on hold because of her?

I'd help my girlfriend, despite it's helping her mum, I'd rather suffer for a short term than see my girlfriend stressed and make non-issues in our relationship become some adultery crime has been committed.

Soldato
In short, no. 'ex'-Students on shoe string budget, graduated recently. I'm working full time checking/eating cakes till January when my PGCE starts, she's silver service whilst looking for the right job due to poor and saturated market.

Sell the cat.
You clearly cant afford to look after it properly

Soldato
Please reread thread.

I did. please tell me what I missed.

Op is suggesting living on tinned beans so he can pay his GF so that she can pay the vet.
Stupid way to carry on.
Added to that she is already trying to pay off a bill from 6 months ago..

What happens next time it gets ill, Leave it to suffer?

Soldato
Hmmm, difficult one this, I will say from the outset that I am NO LEGAL EXPERT and can only offer my opinion based on debts that have been outstanding to me (it happens, I run my own business).

Firstly it strikes me that it should be illegal for the vet to hold the cat, though unfortunately pets are counted as property even though they are alive. :rolleyes:

I would suggest going to the vets tomorrow morning with whoever owns the cat take in proof of ID and address so the vet can chase them for payment if needed.

Explain the situation with the manager / owner of the vets and say - and be prepared to sign a statement agreeing to pay all of the outstanding bill but by a date that is affordable.

The fact that you are showing willing and setting realistic times to be able to pay back the debt and proving where you live (should debt recovery be needed) should (I think) show enough willing that the debt will be settled in an appropriate manner.

From there the cat should be demanded to be returned to stop the fees escalating as it will be impossible to catch up with the repayments - £140 a week extra is totally unreasonable. If you can prove that you have been willing and able and are offering a solution to resolve the situation then the vet loses a lot of their bargaining power in the eyes of the law.

If I have to recover a debt from someone and they agree to pay it, but at a rate they can afford then I have to take it, even if it's £1.00 a week (they would have to prove to a small claims court that they can't afford more than £1.00 a week mind you).

So in short:
Take evidence of who the owner is and where they live.
Provide the vet with a payment plan and schedule of when and how the owner is going to pay.
That should be enough to secure the release of the cat.

Of course...I'm not taking into account any previously outstanding bills...

And as has so often been mentioned in these forums...contact citizens advice in the morning!

The other way would be for you to be a knight in shining armour and pay for it to be released, if for the cats sake if nothing else...just make sure you have ways of getting the money back asap!!!

Good luck with it, keep us updated.

Permabanned
Forgive me if this has been answered as I have only scanned the thread briefly.

Can you not come to a financial agreement with the Vet to pay over a period of time? It seems strange that the Vet would go to such lengths to secure £160 up front and not have provision for financing larger and more expensive treatments.

Soldato
IIRC, that kitty is already on a payment plan after an op on her stomach due to an issue 6 months ago. I cannot confirm if the payment have complete, perhaps this was this problem thus the 'ransom'?

Most likely. I don't think any vet would act like this unless they had some prior problems that were still outstanding. I'm willing to bet not a penny of the payments have been made, hence their attitude.

It's not a good situation. Find the cat a better home - maybe another family member would be willing to look after it, at least until the money problems have eased? When you say she didn't "willingly" take the cat to the vet are you suggesting she wouldn't have taken it herself, knowing there was a problem?

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, difficult one this, I will say from the outset that I am NO LEGAL EXPERT and can only offer my opinion based on debts that have been outstanding to me (it happens, I run my own business).

Firstly it strikes me that it should be illegal for the vet to hold the cat, though unfortunately pets are counted as property even though they are alive. :rolleyes:

I would suggest going to the vets tomorrow morning with whoever owns the cat take in proof of ID and address so the vet can chase them for payment if needed.

Explain the situation with the manager / owner of the vets and say - and be prepared to sign a statement agreeing to pay all of the outstanding bill but by a date that is affordable.

The fact that you are showing willing and setting realistic times to be able to pay back the debt and proving where you live (should debt recovery be needed) should (I think) show enough willing that the debt will be settled in an appropriate manner.

From there the cat should be demanded to be returned to stop the fees escalating as it will be impossible to catch up with the repayments - £140 a week extra is totally unreasonable. If you can prove that you have been willing and able and are offering a solution to resolve the situation then the vet loses a lot of their bargaining power in the eyes of the law.

If I have to recover a debt from someone and they agree to pay it, but at a rate they can afford then I have to take it, even if it's £1.00 a week (they would have to prove to a small claims court that they can't afford more than £1.00 a week mind you).

So in short:
Take evidence of who the owner is and where they live.
Provide the vet with a payment plan and schedule of when and how the owner is going to pay.
That should be enough to secure the release of the cat.

Of course...I'm not taking into account any previously outstanding bills...

And as has so often been mentioned in these forums...contact citizens advice in the morning!

The other way would be for you to be a knight in shining armour and pay for it to be released, if for the cats sake if nothing else...just make sure you have ways of getting the money back asap!!!

Good luck with it, keep us updated.

Cheers for the advise.
Being a knight in shining armour will have to do for now, for the girlfriend and the kitty sake. Now an advise to help to approach her mum and say stop putting her eldest daughter under so much stress just because she's a badger with her budget.

And only just found out as I am typing that the kitty can be picked up today for £149. Off to the ATM now.

Relationships and sacrifices. The real world can be such a douch.

Soldato
OP
When you say she didn't "willingly" take the cat to the vet are you suggesting she wouldn't have taken it herself, knowing there was a problem?

She would have still got the kitty there but perhaps exchange better words or agreement before signing any treatment for the cat - she can be a total anal when it comes to situation where signing and agreeing to anything is involved. Her mum, nope.

Soldato
Cheers for the advise.
Being a knight in shining armour will have to do for now, for the girlfriend and the kitty sake. Now an advise to help to approach her mum and say stop putting her eldest daughter under so much stress just because she's a badger with her budget.

And only just found out as I am typing that the kitty can be picked up today for £149. Off to the ATM now.

Good on you. :)

I did think that would be the best option but it wasn't your hole to climb out of!

I think we'd need more info on the mother to be able to advise about that...the pool of OCUKF collective knowledge awaits your return...

Soldato
Cheers for the advise.

Hopefully you'll now do the right thing and take it straight to the animal shelter. Or buy some bloody pet insurance!

Associate
I have found myself with large vets bills before (€450). I went in with €200 cash and said they can have the rest the following month as i dont have it yet. They were fine with that.

Pay half yourself now on the promise that your GF will pay the rest in 1 month. She can then pay you back the month after. That way she gets to pay over 2 months, the vets gets some cash, and you are in the good books :) win-win-win

Back
Top Bottom