LG Flatron 29UM65-P (29") UltraWide Monitor Owners Thread

Caporegime
On my Asus I can make it zoom in, it's not perfect by any stretch (I think it crops some as well, as things don't look too distorted).

Graphics look absolutely terrible close up like, so you'd need to sit quite far behind.

Soldato
Chances are LG will tell you there is nothing wrong matson. They told me to use the monitor in bright conditions with a low brightness setting and that it was just a common problem with "their" tech lol... And the funny thing is, mine was far worse than mrk's etc.

Plus after seeing how LG have dealt with mrk's monitor, I would rather get ocuk to deal with LG as well as them having in their terms that if they can't get the monitor back to you within 28 days, you can request a refund.

OC offered to collect mine and send me out another one...But what are the chances it could be worse than the one I have now...Im kinda getting used to it. I put white led strips behind the monitor so at night when there turned on I cant hardly see the ips glow anymore but that's just masking the problem and not fixing it lol. They all have some form of bleed or ips glow its just a matter of how much it seems.

Caporegime
Yup, that was the same dilemma that I was having lol, this one is my best one and the glow/bleed is only noticeable/distracting when in very low lighting conditions with a pure black screen and when sat at a bit of angle, not perfect but not terrible like my last two so didn't want to return it and possibly get an even worse one...

I would say if it doesn't bother you in normal conditions then keep it.

My first two were awful, even with a low brightness setting and in bright enough conditions, you could notice the bleed.

Soldato
Yup, that was the same dilemma that I was having lol, this one is my best one and the glow/bleed is only noticeable/distracting when in very low lighting conditions with a pure black screen and when sat at a bit of angle, not perfect but not terrible like my last two so didn't want to return it and possibly get an even worse one...

I would say if it doesn't bother you in normal conditions then keep it.

My first two were awful, even with a low brightness setting and in bright enough conditions, you could notice the bleed.

Yeah I don't know what to do yet lol. I actually don't have hardly any bleed. Its IPS glow that mine has. The two bottom corners you can see the orange glow, especially at night on black content. I cant see it when I look straight on at the corners but sat in the middle I can see it. Its not too bad at very low brightness but my top right corner is perfect so why cant the bottom corners be lol.

Caporegime
Look forward to seeing pics snips! :D

@Matson

If it where me and it was "distracting" in normal usage i.e. pulling your attention away from the middle of the screen then I would get another one.

Soldato
OP
Decided to get my DSLR out after all:

34zk4ck.jpg

20k9axf.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They must certainly are :D Have you tried my settings out yet?

Also make sure you turn eco mode of and response time to high.

I've been playing BL2 and Batman: AO and not noticed any issues at all with Eco on Low and response time on Medium.

Changed response to high, but Eco remains on Low. Not tried your settings yet, will have a play around over the weekend.

Soldato
Got my monitor, doesn't help that I have no Internet so I can't download games, I think I need to tweak my settings on the monitor as currently the colour doesn't look that much better than how I set up my w2363d but ill fiddle around

Also for some reason my desktop didn't have vlc, so I have to use 3G to download it

No idea why skyrim doesn't support the resolution straight off but oblivion does xD

Caporegime
I've been playing BL2 and Batman: AO and not noticed any issues at all with Eco on Low and response time on Medium.

Changed response to high, but Eco remains on Low. Not tried your settings yet, will have a play around over the weekend.

Fair enough, personally I hate eco mode for anything :p I don't think you really need eco mode if you are using quite a low brightness setting anyway i.e. 0-20%

Got my monitor, doesn't help that I have no Internet so I can't download games, I think I need to tweak my settings on the monitor as currently the colour doesn't look that much better than how I set up my w2363d but ill fiddle around

Also for some reason my desktop didn't have vlc, so I have to use 3G to download it

No idea why skyrim doesn't support the resolution straight off but oblivion does xD

PICS! :D

You should see quite a bit of a difference between the TN and IPS panel for colours especially when you aren't viewing the monitor exactly heads on. Colours on TN "should" look washed out/muted when next to an IPS panel.

If you haven't got a calibrator, I like to use these two images for manual calibration:

http://www.indiev.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/color-test-file.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/img/help/calibration-print-1400-2.jpg

Personally I recommend MPC-HC or MPC-BE over VLC too! Good setup guide for MPC if you're interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1357375-advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide.html

should i buy this one from 24'' HP ZR24W 16:10?

I much rather have this LG monitor over that HP one just for the 21.9 aspect ratio! If you watch any films on your monitor then 21.9 aspect ratio is a must, great for games too.

Soldato
OP
At £250 :cool:, you got nothing to lose tbh! Originally when this monitor first came out, which was only a few months ago, it was going for something stupid like £350/380 iirc...

Hope you get a good one snips! Not sure if you have a proper calibrator or not but I have tweaked mine over the last few days so using these settings:

- gamma 1
- custom colour temp; R = 50 G = 50 B = 52
- contrast - 65 with a brightness of 13

Of course, every panel will be different though so these might not look as good on yours..

As I said earlier, the colours look great out of the box anyway so you might not even feel like changing settings!

Just set colour using the above, will see how it goes. The stock setup is quite bright and harsh on the eyes. Will see how this goes and let you know!

Back
Top Bottom