Lit Fibre

Caporegime
Lit have been poking around the chambers on my street and proving that ducts are clear, hopefully not long to wait now. Currently I only have access to FTTC and the cabinet is full so I’m paying out-of-contract rates to BT as I didn’t fancy signing a 24 month renewal back in August.

Associate
Hi Everyone,

Interesting thread. I had Lit Fibre installed a couple of weeks ago, and went for the 500/500 package deal for £24pm for 2 years, with 6 months free. The install was really quick (about 3 working days) and everyone I have spoken to at Lit have been really helpful - so far so good. My speed at the ONT has been just under 500 download, and just over 500 for upload. Speeds from the router to my laptop on a wired connection drop to about 450-ish each way. Again, so far so good.

The Wi-Fi speeds are a lot more curious. When the engineer did the install, he showed me the speed test results on his phone, and it was around 470 each way. When I did the same test on my phone, I was getting approx. 270/290. Hmmm. Tried on my laptop, same result as my phone. Tried on another phone, same result as my first phone. The engineer sent some info back to the tech team for investigation, and I had a follow up visit by another engineer. They separated the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels on the router into different networks, but this seemed to only make a marginal difference. His phone was getting 470-ish speeds, whereas all my devices are around the 280-mark. His company Lit tablet was getting the same results as me, so it was passed back to Tech again for more investigation. All tests were performed within 4ft of the router. I had a call with the tech guys and they have said that different devices will have different speeds / multiple devices will use bandwidth on the router and therefore the full capacity wont be available to all devices all of the time / speed tests aren't that reliable. I get this, however even when we isolate one of my devices on the wifi I am not getting the speed the engineer was able to get. My devices are fairly modern, and should be able to handle even higher speeds than what I have signed up for, so I am at a loss to understand the difference. The tech team have said that unless I have a problem with bandwidth when I am using multiple devices on the wifi, then there's not much more they can do as from their point of view everything is working. If my devices were replicating what the engineers get (or even if one of them did), then I would agree.

I don't have an issue with the speeds per se in terms of the performance so far (I've upgraded from a 10/1 ADSL connection, so everything is looking amazing right now!), but it seems on the face of it that I'm only able to get just over half of the of the bandwidth available. It's like having a car that is capable of 80, but you can only go 50 on an autobahn. Sure, you're still going to get from A-to-B, but you could get there quicker.

I would be very interested in hearing other people's views who have Lit Fibre installed and how their wifi speeds compare to the speed of their package. I have read some comments on this thread that the router isn't great in terms of wifi, but this seems to be more about the coverage than speed (incidentally, my coverage seems to be pretty good on 3 floors), and some people have even replaced their router with something more configurable (I would consider this if I could guarantee a better performance).

Thanks.

Associate
Using the LitFibre supplied router I'm getting ~320 down, 220 up on my 3rd Gen iPad Pro. But this is about as far away as I can get from the router and still be in the house (back bedroom) If I take the iPad to the router I'm getting ~650/600. If you haven't guessed I have the full 1Gbps package ;)

I also have an Orbi mesh in the house, on that I get ~550/550 in the back bedroom.

On a wired connection I generally get about 940 up and down.

Associate
Using the LitFibre supplied router I'm getting ~320 down, 220 up on my 3rd Gen iPad Pro. But this is about as far away as I can get from the router and still be in the house (back bedroom) If I take the iPad to the router I'm getting ~650/600. If you haven't guessed I have the full 1Gbps package ;)

I also have an Orbi mesh in the house, on that I get ~550/550 in the back bedroom.

On a wired connection I generally get about 940 up and down.
Many thanks Picnic. Interesting. It seems like you are seeing roughly the same wifi speed relative to your overall speed as me then. Thanks for replying and sharing your results.

Last edited:
Associate
But WiFi speed is only related to broadband speed when it is capped by the broadband speed. I'm getting over 600Mbps by the router, obviously you won't get that as your on the 500Mbps package. Take away packet overhead and I'd expect you to max out around 450-470 when by the router.

Associate
But WiFi speed is only related to broadband speed when it is capped by the broadband speed. I'm getting over 600Mbps by the router, obviously you won't get that as your on the 500Mbps package. Take away packet overhead and I'd expect you to max out around 450-470 when by the router.
Thanks Picnic.
Yes, I agree that the limiting factor is the fibre speed to the premises and there is some overhead in terms of speed degradation when using wifi. However, it seems to be quite a lot of degradation though, as we are both only able to get just over half the speed of our 'pipe' using wifi when stood very close to the router.
The engineer was apparently able to get 450mbps+ on his phone over my wifi, but all 3 of my own devices and the engineers own Lit-fibre tablet doesn't get anywhere near this. As per my original post, I've been given lots of potential reasons for it, but I'm not sure I agree with them. Yes, I agree with Lit's assertion that it's better than what I used to have on my old adsl broadband, but I think I would be more happy if I was getting more like the current setups potential, like the original engineer was able to demonstrate.

Caporegime
For some reason Lit Fibre passed my query of "there's a CBT in my chamber, why can't I order yet?" to someone as a request to perform the install. I spoke with the guy and we settled on pulling the fibre up the duct and leaving it coiled up ready for whoever completes the install which can only happen after I've actually ordered it.

Good job I was in, nothing was scheduled by Lit and there seemed to be a mismatch between their database and what had actually been done - he thought he'd be pulling a fibre 200m through ducts and then up a pole, was confused when I said the CBT was already in the chamber but opened it up and it was there, and there was a good signal on it as well.

Just need their systems to let me order it now.

Associate
Would anyone be able to share some details of the barrel plug on the power supply for the LIT ONT please?
I’m scheduled for connection next week, and am trying to get some POE kit lined up ready… so I’m after:
External dimension, internal dimension, plus the polarity of the internal/external contact.
I’m hoping it’s 5.5mm x 2.1mm and +12V on the inside contact, rather than the outside of the barrel…
Thanks in advance!

Soldato
OP
Would anyone be able to share some details of the barrel plug on the power supply for the LIT ONT please?
I’m scheduled for connection next week, and am trying to get some POE kit lined up ready… so I’m after:
External dimension, internal dimension, plus the polarity of the internal/external contact.
I’m hoping it’s 5.5mm x 2.1mm and +12V on the inside contact, rather than the outside of the barrel…
Thanks in advance!

Using a meter black on outside and red in the middle does read +12V.

~5mm jack. Centre hole is ~2mm.

BnBWGj0.jpg
y3xf4W8.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for going offline to look at that for me!
Don’t suppose you saw if it was a plain round metal inner, or one with a plastic insert and two opposed connectors? Think that’s the different between 2.5mm and 2.1mm

Soldato
OP
Thanks for going offline to look at that for me!
Don’t suppose you saw if it was a plain round metal inner, or one with a plastic insert and two opposed connectors? Think that’s the different between 2.5mm and 2.1mm
Updated the pics while you posted.

Got me thinking about moving the AP now as it's very similar connection and I have POE switches already for my CCTV cameras.

Associate
EDIT: Thanks for the update - it’s not the same design as the cable that ships with the TP-Link TL-PoE10r splitter, but it may yet work. If not obviously resolvable, but think it’ll mean waiting until it’s installed to figure it all out now.
If that splitter works at the end of next week, I’ll update here to share.

Last edited:
Caporegime
And we're installed. 500Mbps symmetric, little EdgeRouter X is struggling to maintain that but I sort of expected to have that problem going in.

Associate
Well that wasn't as seemless as I expected :rolleyes: It's my one year anniversary of having LitFibre installed. I was on the 1Gbps package but except on very rare occasions I rarely got usage above 500 so renewed at the lower speed. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic but I expected a seemless change between the 2. Nope, no Internet for about an hour. Now signed up on a 2 year deal with no in contract price rises. Even get 2 months free for recommending a friend.

Caporegime
My impressions after using it for a few days are that I notice no difference 99% of the time - day-to-day usage is just as quick as it was on my 60Mbps FTTC. But the 1% of the time I need to shift a large file quickly it's a night and day difference, and I'm also spending less each month than before.

So if you're coming from a reliable and stable FTTC of a decent speed, FTTP isn't a life changer because it doesn't enable anything new - I could already stream 4K video and do HD video calls. However it's a very nice thing to have, and to anybody coming from a slow FTTC, ADSL or congested cable modem service it really will be a hugely positive experience.

I'm happy I didn't decide to spend the £12/month more on 1Gbps, but it's always there if I need it.

Last edited:
Associate
All very helpful this….I’m impatiently waiting for Complete Telecoms Solutions to finish the infrastructure build here before I bite LitFibre’s arm off and sign up.

I’m torn between the 500Mbps and the 1Gbps service but after reading all the posts here 500Mbps might the sensible option and still get all the speed I’m ever going to need.

Caporegime
It would be an easier choice if it was between 100Mbps and 1Gb, but 500Mbps is still faster than most connections I've ever had access to.

Associate
Well that wasn't as seemless as I expected :rolleyes: It's my one year anniversary of having LitFibre installed. I was on the 1Gbps package but except on very rare occasions I rarely got usage above 500 so renewed at the lower speed. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic but I expected a seemless change between the 2. Nope, no Internet for about an hour. Now signed up on a 2 year deal with no in contract price rises. Even get 2 months free for recommending a friend.

Did you get offered the standard 24 month deal (£27) or were you given a better deal for being a loyal valued customer for the last year. I am thinking about moving to them and would like to know what happens at the end of the contract.

My deal would be £27 per month for 500mbps with 3 months free.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom