Lost my love of gaming :(

Soldato
OP
I think I've fallen out of love with gaming again, I just can't get in to anything. I spend more time looking for games than I do playing them. Anyone else do the same?

Starting to annoy me now, so rather than try and force it I'll just take a break. Really annoying :mad:

Caporegime
Sounds like a subconscious thing where your mind is telling you to do something else with your time.

Gaming is supposed to be fun, and if you find yourself constantly looking for your next fix rather than playing, it's probably time to take a break.

I go through periods like this every few years, where I can go months without playing, until something new piques my interest.

Caporegime
I think I've fallen out of love with gaming again, I just can't get in to anything. I spend more time looking for games than I do playing them. Anyone else do the same?

Starting to annoy me now, so rather than try and force it I'll just take a break. Really annoying :mad:

Everyone has these phases, nothing unusual. It doesn't help that when gaming, I have a tiny little voice in my conscience going "you should be doing something productive" - I drown that out with alcohol though.

Caporegime
Everyone has these phases, nothing unusual.

I dunno mind, quite a few people I know have never really taken an extended break from gaming apart from holidays etc.

The industry has grown massively over the last 20-30 years to the point it's now the biggest in the entertainment sector. Many people are now terminally online and can't snap out of it, even when it's having a negative impact on their lives.

Last edited:
Associate
I go through stages of falling out of love with gaming, usually after I’ve completed like the latest far cry, I’ll stop gaming until the next similar game comes out

Although just got a ps5 and can’t wait to the new grand theft auto , aswell as MW3

Associate
I think the problem is there is absolutely nothing new because by now everything has been done already. For a long time there hasn't been anything unique or groundbreaking.

I think things might change when unreal 5 engine games come out - they will inject a bit of life and excitement into gamers

Last edited:
Soldato
All the above a valid points and I don't disagree however I think the cost versus expendable income plays a big factor too. I think most posters on here are a little older than the standard gamer. 30 / 35 plus (some of us 45 plus!). When we were kids we'd get one or two new games a year as they were so pricey and I think we appreciated them more.
I've said it on here loads but games to me these days are a fraction of my everyday bills. I bought COD MW3 last friday. Was $79. I spent more going out for a few drinks with the Mrs that night. Its less than a case of beer and half a tank of petrol. My monthly internet bill so I could download the stupid thing and eventually actually play it is $99!
Material items that cost very little hold no intrinsic value. This is pushed even more by Gamepass that most of this forum seemed to have gotten three years of for the equivalent of a couple of quid a month, join that up with the vast amount of filler on there coupled to modern day super quick download speeds and titles become throw aways. I do it myself. Open the app on my phone at work, pick something to download and play when I get home. Get through the tutorial mission and go meh, boring, delete.

Soldato
OP
All the above a valid points and I don't disagree however I think the cost versus expendable income plays a big factor too. I think most posters on here are a little older than the standard gamer. 30 / 35 plus (some of us 45 plus!). When we were kids we'd get one or two new games a year as they were so pricey and I think we appreciated them more.
I've said it on here loads but games to me these days are a fraction of my everyday bills. I bought COD MW3 last friday. Was $79. I spent more going out for a few drinks with the Mrs that night. Its less than a case of beer and half a tank of petrol. My monthly internet bill so I could download the stupid thing and eventually actually play it is $99!
Material items that cost very little hold no intrinsic value. This is pushed even more by Gamepass that most of this forum seemed to have gotten three years of for the equivalent of a couple of quid a month, join that up with the vast amount of filler on there coupled to modern day super quick download speeds and titles become throw aways. I do it myself. Open the app on my phone at work, pick something to download and play when I get home. Get through the tutorial mission and go meh, boring, delete.
Exactly that! I swear NES and SNES games were £40+ when I was a kid (47 now), and like you say had a couple a year.

I have Gamepass but haven't switched on my Xbox for probably 2 months

Soldato
Strangely my gaming is tied to my happiness. I'm going through some tough times with the wife ATM and my gaming instantly takes a nose dive. If I'm happy I game, if I'm not I dont

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I don’t really game anymore. I love the idea of gaming but when I sit down to do it, it’s just not fun anymore. I have a PS5 and I played through Diablo 4 campaign which was fine but I had no desire to continue after the credits rolled. Haven’t played anything in months and no plan too. I get more enjoyment out of watching a really good TV Show or Movie than playing as a character in some poorly written game story.

Associate
I think that many games these days just don't bring anything new to the table. All of the games are been there done that. Indie games are the only thing left, as they are at least a little different.

Some AAA games are very good but lets face it, how much more MW can you take?

kdd

kdd

Soldato
I like games far less than I did years back, yet I will still happily sink hours into Rainbow 6 siege and EAFC. I think both those games offer competition and reward which can be addictive and fun, but you can find enjoyment in other types of accomplishment.

Associate
I’m the same at the moment, 51 year old gamer here, been playing games since the late 70’s early 80’s, have owned countless computers and consoles over the last 40 or so years.

As mentioned previously in the thread, we’re not youngsters anymore and not having the energy to play anything after working 10-11 hours could also be an issue. Also I had a tumour removed from my bowel last November, then a few bouts of chemo earlier in year, so this may be affecting my energy levels.

The times I’ve said to myself I’ll play something tonight, only to the end up in front of telly with the Mrs or i’ll just be watching stuff (reaction videos/tech reviews) on YouTube and then say to myself maybe tomorrow then?

I've not really touched my Xbox or PS5 for a while, plowed hundreds of hours into Elden Ring until I grew tired of it. Nothing else has peaked my interest since then, although replaying RE4 again recently via the remake was a great, maybe we need more remasters of previously great games?

If I do manage to switch anything on it will either my Switch or Steamdeck, usually for quick blast of something that doesn’t take too much investment or having to try to remember where I was up to and are supposed to go next.

If I could recommend a game that may make you fall in love again, it would be Octopath Traveller 2, poured a fair few hours into this beauty on my Deck and Switch, still yet to complete either version though.

Only games of note that I’m looking forward to at the moment is TLOU2 remastered, Elden Ring DLC, GTA VI, RE5 remake and hopefully a Bloodborne remaster (fingers crossed!!).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@thepigf@rmer That's an interesting reply, thanks for taking the time. Really pleased to hear of your recovery, I'm sure it's been a tough journey.

I still have a huge interest in gaming, I really enjoy watching my children on the Xbox. Switch has been my main console of choice for a few years now, and really enjoyed having a Steam deck early on this year - thinking about picking up another, but will give it a few months. Handheld is the future for me, allows you to drop in and out the easiest while working around family and work.

Soldato
48yrs here, been gaming all my life.

You have moments where there's just nothing out there for you. I moved earlier in the year from PC to Mac - I was sick of the utter carp that was Windows, having used it since 3.0. Drivers are bloated, games are a bloated mess of debugging just to get them to run. I bought a MacMini for desktop usage (best move ever), and a PS5 for gaming (absolutely brilliant move) and haven't looked back. No poncing around with config files, or tweaking just to get a game to run (see pc gaming forum and every AAA game thread for examples) - click on the icon and away you go.

I find myself playing somewhat older titles, and a small handful of newer ones. We're old :) We can't dedicate much time for games due to other RL priorities so it happens. Keyword is priorities - if you're struggling with gaming thats because you're doing the right thing, there's other more important things in your life that demand attention.

I miss my Steam library so yes a future SteamDeck is a good shout.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok, got it back now!

After grabbing a Steam Deck again I'm loving playing through Far Cry 3, while adding more to the pile in the sale.

I probably still spend more time browsing games than playing, but the joy and escapism is back :D

Back
Top Bottom