Massive Car insurance costs?

Soldato
Had a pal who was quoted (and paid) £370 for a Fiesta. I’ve just recently paid £390 for a BMW 540. Post codes matter!
Yep. I'm only up for renewal in April but did some quotes yesterday. £523 for a 1.0 Focus, in a "good" Liverpool postcode. Oddly, it only went up to £682 from the same company for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD, although to be fair the excess is £200 higher.

Soldato
So the thing that makes believe its profiteering is that my wife has just had her renewal through for her 2019 fiesta st (the ones that get stolen a lot), it's gone up a whipping 1 pound to 274. In my mind if the industry was struggling, surely it would be everyone's insurance going up, not just some? Fwiw my insurance went up a few hundred quid (obviously at the same address), in fact she's even got business cover! I did tell her to snap their hands off and get it renewed at that price :p .

Soldato
Just had the renewal through for the eNiro, £865, up from £588 last year, so ~47%, feels like I'm in my teens again where insurance is by far the most expensive part of running the car :mad: :(

Guess today is going to involve lots of comparison sites and phone calls, wish me luck!

Last edited:
Soldato
Heh. Looks like I need to start shopping for a scrappy old banger to sit on the drive, purely so I can tick the "own another car" box and drop my premium by a few hundred £... Almost works out cheaper that way!

Soldato
Probably doesn't cost that much, but depends entirely on your insurer and how many years no claims you have as to whether it's worth it.

Personally I've never bothered, as once you are into 7/8/9+ years no claims, then the difference for the extra year is 1% premium reduction anyway, and even making a claim normally only reduces your NCD by 2 years.

Protecting your NCD is more important imo if you have the option to protect at 3 years NCD and are in a higher insurance risk group (e.g. young person + sports car), whereby dropping to 1 year NCD may actually make the car uninsurable.

Cost me £8 for the year to protect my NCD and its 10+ years worth.

Soldato
Heh. Looks like I need to start shopping for a scrappy old banger to sit on the drive, purely so I can tick the "own another car" box and drop my premium by a few hundred £... Almost works out cheaper that way!

Its what I did. Though I do use the banger for driving in to the slum (my local town). The second car's insurance is also dirt cheap as I have less than 3000 miles a year on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
reducing mileage excessively if WFH, sometimes counter-intuitively increases the premium too - had the 588 been first year of ev ownership.

Nothing has changed at all (other than an extra year of NCD, an extra year of driving experience, and a year of owning the car).

Just checked with increased mileage and that puts it up.

Cheapest I could find was £727 with Tesco (and a further £45 off with Quidco), but that's with doubling the excess to £700 - definitely feels like being 18 again!

Spoke to current insurer (esure) and they couldn't budge, even with increasing the excess I couldn't get it below £800 :(

Still, 16% is better than 47%, even if it is with the potential extra £350 excess payment. Still a ridiculous amount though. A few years ago I was paying £250 >_<

Associate

No way this works.

It can't be that easy right?

Will be doing a little comparison shopping later...

Soldato
This has been a common theme the past month, I guess I'll be accepting the +70% auto renewal and hoping for more luck next year.
f21KlIl.png

Associate
AMG C63 Edition 507, had the car for 7 years, only do <3000 miles a year, only used for social/pleasure, last year £475, quotes for my renewal in March >£900, cheapest I've found on comparison sites £837, nothing changed, same job, same house everything.
So an update on mine above, I have since managed to get this down to £640 through Admiral who are my current insurer, had other quotes around the £660 mark (Hastings) through the comparison sites as well, but my Admiral offered some “loyalty” discount (been with them 5 years), which I found laughable to be honest, like yeah, you've done me a favour by increasing my insurance year-on-year, anyway I've locked it in and my automatic renewal will tick over mid-March.

Surprisingly, part of the reduction also came from REMOVING the second driver (my Mother), apparently that knocked off £90 on it own from what Admiral told me! They also said they could drop it by another £40 if I went through them for House Insurance, but my current home policy doesn't end until November and that in fairness is cheap as chips through my current provider, so may not have saved the £40 in the long-run.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Surprisingly, part of the reduction also came from REMOVING the second driver (my Mother), apparently that knocked off £90 on it own from what Admiral told me! They also said they could drop it by another £40 if I went through them for House Insurance, but my current home policy doesn't end until November and that in fairness is cheap as chips through my current provider, so may not have saved the £40 in the long-run.

In my experience Admiral multicover they give you a good discount the first 1-2 years then it pretty much goes back to the normal price, unless you go to a lot of effort haggling or drop it for a year and then they start offering incentives again.

Back
Top Bottom