Massive Car insurance costs?

Associate
In my experience Admiral multicover they give you a good discount the first 1-2 years then it pretty much goes back to the normal price, unless you go to a lot of effort haggling or drop it for a year and then they start offering incentives again.
I'm happy with what they've offered me right now, no chance I'll be moving from my current house insurer as they cover some items others don't, like my record collection.

Soldato
In my experience Admiral multicover they give you a good discount the first 1-2 years then it pretty much goes back to the normal price, unless you go to a lot of effort haggling or drop it for a year and then they start offering incentives again.

Not in my experience. I haven’t been able to beat their price for our 2 cars for about 7 years in a row.

Soldato
My insurance isn't due for a few more months, I hope the prices don't keep going up. I know when I took out the insurance to keep the cost resonable I had to get a crazy excess. Usually I do £150ish but I now have £650 excess. But that kept the price down to £600 for the M235i. Shame MoreThan no longer do insurance for cars. :( My Dad's is due slightly earlier and he has a £400 excess and pays £625 for his policy on the XC60. Crazy money when you think how long we've both been driving for with full ncb.
Well, my Dad had his renewal through from Hastings. They wanted to auto-renew at £930! Up from £625. That is a 50% increase pretty much. We cancelled the auto-renewal. Then immediately received a revised quotation with £150 knocked off the price. If they can do that then why was the price not £150 cheaper to begin with? Surely they have to by law offer the best price? Anyway, that email was promptly deleted. Will be shopping around this weekend.

Soldato
Well, my Dad had his renewal through from Hastings. They wanted to auto-renew at £930! Up from £625. That is a 50% increase pretty much. We cancelled the auto-renewal. Then immediately received a revised quotation with £150 knocked off the price. If they can do that then why was the price not £150 cheaper to begin with? Surely they have to by law offer the best price? Anyway, that email was promptly deleted. Will be shopping around this weekend.
Managed to get it down to £576. So cheaper than last year!! And that includes all the good stuff, legal protection, uninsured driver protection, etc. And lowered voluntary excess as well to £100. Happy with that.

Associate
This really annoys me. I know companies are there to make a profit, but it's basically a "con" offering it for one price, and then - without any haggling etc - they reduce it. Most times they do that to me I just move on straight away.

However, the best one in terms of "WTF" was a few years a go.

I rang a car insurance company as I was told they offered good deals. I'd already been on the comparision sites etc, as well as making a few calls to other brokers.

After giving all my details, they asked if I'd already had other quotes. I told them I had, and they asked me for my best price so far. They ran the figures, and the cheapest they could do was around £100 more expensive than the £275 I'd been offered elsewhere for the same level of cover.

After the agent told me this, she went on to ask, "So how would you like to pay today?"

I told her I wasn't interested, and she asked why I wasn't..seriously???!!

Never been back to them either. First Class Muppetry

Last edited:
Associate
Today, Admiral. £347 last year, this morning they offered…£946. CoCompare just offered cheapest £307 from other firms. It’s like dealing with double glazing firms.

Soldato
My renewal isn't till August but I ran a quote to brace myself. All in all not bad pretty much same as last year around 800
Mines in April and I did the same thing.

M140i, couple of declared modifications (M Perf exhaust and front splitter, side skirts, etc), 16 NCD but had a no fault accident in July.

I paid £700 last year and cheapest quote now was just over £1k.

OcUK Staff
Got my E63S in January, paid Hastings around £200 to change from my Megane RS to it for around 2 and a bit months, now I would assume that would mean the renewal would be in the £1500-1600 mark. Nope. £2435. Managed to find £1550 or so on the comparison sites so far but will do some digging around as it's not due till the end of the month. Bought the car knowing it would have been north of £1k regardless but some of these price increases are absolutely wild.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had renewal email so haven't checked alternatives yet:

Last year: £398.50
This year: £672.43

68% increase :D :D :D

Edit - cursory GoCompare search and I can pay the same as last year or less. So long Tesco Bank, I hardly knew you.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I get to pay about €950 a year for TPO on a 22 year old 1.2 car with 80bhp - around €250 of that being VED.

So you lot in the UK can count yourselves lucky!

Outside of no claims, the driver, as long as they are over 25, has little bearing on the cost, it's the vehicle that is insured.

Last edited:
Associate
My Classic policy was actually cheaper this year with Lancaster. I left it to the wire, and they rang and knocked £125 off their renewal! Which is £50 less than last year!

Man of Honour
Getting quotes about 15% higher than a month ago which is a bit surprising.

What do you guys choose for voluntary excess? I've always gone for the minimum, but I'm thinking that's a bit silly because no claims is at 15 years and you never actually claim on insurance for most instances it's always covered by third party or is like cosmetic damage that isn't worth claiming because by the time you've paid the compulsory excess and been shafted on future premiums due to losing the no claims, you're lucky to break even.

OcUK Staff
Update on my side, going direct with Tesco Bank Car insurance got my premium for the year down to £1232. Considering the car I'm happy with that. Also shows you that the comparison sites are making a fair wedge of cash considering the exact same policy on uSwitch (which was surprisingly the cheapest comparison site) was £1450, and some had the same policy at nearly £1800!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Getting quotes about 15% higher than a month ago which is a bit surprising.

What do you guys choose for voluntary excess? I've always gone for the minimum, but I'm thinking that's a bit silly because no claims is at 15 years and you never actually claim on insurance for most instances it's always covered by third party or is like cosmetic damage that isn't worth claiming because by the time you've paid the compulsory excess and been shafted on future premiums due to losing the no claims, you're lucky to break even.
Maxed it out and then paid £30 for excess insurance just in case.

Soldato
Paid my renewal today... its not gone up at all, i changed car december last year from an Audi A7 280hp diesel to a 310HP TTs 2016 plate. The change in premium in december made the over all goto £795.

had renewal through last week at £795 for the year so the same as last year! had a look around and i could get it cheaper but with excess values of like £600! Im also running a modified intake and induction pipe,turbo elbow etc so a lot of normal insurers are not interested.

My insurance is with Brentacre using Makersmark underwriters... fully comp Business class1, no excess apart from £75 windscreen. Key cover, legal cover and protected no claims.... im 49 with 30yrs no claims etc.. brentacre also do not charge for non HP increasing modifications! so great for anyone with a performance car. I declared my MSG full intake replacement, pipe and elbow and they do not class it as a HP mod ( even though technically it may add a few hp ) so thats nice.

Im guessing its all about area, type of car and your age making massive differences now to people... rather than it being an increase for everyone no matter what.

A few of my friends have also found that they have not had an increase but we are all same age and situations really...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom