Massive Car insurance costs?

Don
Ordering a key based on the VIN doesnt surprise me, it's the ease with which you can do it that shocks me, I'd have hoped for proof of V5 or main dealer only security procedure etc..

It really paints a very bleak picture because it's quite obviously a cash grab by the stealers - both criminals and main dealers. I can't knock it for cold hard profit, why fix something that generates you a small fortune :(

Soldato
That's genuinely shocking. Being able to order a genuine replacement key from just a VIN number is a joke. I knew things were bad, but this is next level.
It’s always been that way, but obviously the dealers have to get id from the owner (V5 etc etc) before ordering it.
The key still has to be coded to the car for it to start, unless of course the thieves are doing what’s in the video.
When I worked at Merc it was super strict to order a new key and only one tech was authorised to code it in.

Caporegime
It’s always been that way, but obviously the dealers have to get id from the owner (V5 etc etc) before ordering it.
The key still has to be coded to the car for it to start, unless of course the thieves are doing what’s in the video.
When I worked at Merc it was super strict to order a new key and only one tech was authorised to code it in.

Like that scene in gone in 60 seconds with the mercedes laser cut keys :).

I bought a cable for my GR86 to change some settings and can quite easily pair a new fob to it. I paid £35 for the software and cable.

Soldato
That's genuinely shocking. Being able to order a genuine replacement key from just a VIN number is a joke. I knew things were bad, but this is next level.

At this rate, insurance is going to be going UP if you select the "factory fitted alarm" option :D

Better off just ripping the thing out and locking the doors manually, using the physical key.

Last edited:
Don
It's interesting the OBD re-wiring option, I was going to tout that as a business many moons ago, I'm still amazed no-one else offers it, chances of the little oiks using the right cable is:

18,446,744,073,709,551,616 to 1

Associate
It's interesting the OBD re-wiring option, I was going to tout that as a business many moons ago, I'm still amazed no-one else offers it, chances of the little oiks using the right cable is:

18,446,744,073,709,551,616 to 1

ODB re-wiring option is vunerable to thieves breaking into the house tooled up and threatening family members for the cable.

Don
ODB re-wiring option is vunerable to thieves breaking into the house tooled up and threatening family members for the cable.

Yeah it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, but still the lack of people offering the service surprises me, because there are plenty of 'come at me bro' people that would welcome the chance to windmill with the thieves :p

Caporegime

Get a couple of dogs etc. I think most thieves now have such an easy time of stealing that they just move onto the next one rather than risk the trouble.

They most likely have a list of the same cars and just pick one out of the hat. If one seems too risky then just move onto the next.

Associate
Get a couple of dogs etc. I think most thieves now have such an easy time of stealing that they just move onto the next one rather than risk the trouble.

They most likely have a list of the same cars and just pick one out of the hat. If one seems too risky then just move onto the next.

I tend to agree that the thieves would move on to the next car, its a numbers game for them.
However, in the case of a very valuable "snatch" there might be extra urges of motivation resulting in penetration of the premises.

Soldato
Pleasantly surprised...first time in a long time that a multi car quote has actually saved us money, as usually it was cheaper with 2 different insurers.

Vauxhall Corsa electric - £393 (£195 total excess)

Skoda fabia estate - £223 (£195 total excess)

£616 for the year, for both cars

Last year we paid £409 for the Corsa and £343 for the Skoda, £752 total.

Considering the cheapest single car quote I could find for the Corsa was £463 this year, I'm calling it a big win.

This was a Hastings direct policy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Everything is vulnerable to that. Everything.

It's a ludicrous argument. The number of cars being stolen in violent burglaries is a fraction of those being stolen by relay and obd thefts.
I agree with the thought that they will likely on, however I'd imagine it's very car dependant. I imagine for a normal car they just go to another house, but if it was something really special I could see them breaking in although that might be a different type of criminal.

Soldato
Just had my renewal email drop this morning. Only a modest little 2011 VW Polo. But all those prices include breakdown cover. Generally price has been pretty flat for 10+ years. (It's even gone down a little the odd year) This year +£140!!! My schoolboy math's has that at north of 44% increase. I've hit the comparison sites and about the best I can do is £390. Wtf has happened this year to justify all the mad increases?

2013 275.01
2014 290.81
2015 303.18
2016 326.21
2017 318.88
2018 321.18
2019 313.87
2020 331.32
2021 332.1
2022 322.51
2023 313.32
2024 453.65

Caporegime
Just had my renewal email drop this morning. Only a modest little 2011 VW Polo. But all those prices include breakdown cover. Generally price has been pretty flat for 10+ years. (It's even gone down a little the odd year) This year +£140!!! My schoolboy math's has that at north of 44% increase. I've hit the comparison sites and about the best I can do is £390. Wtf has happened this year to justify all the mad increases?

2013 275.01
2014 290.81
2015 303.18
2016 326.21
2017 318.88
2018 321.18
2019 313.87
2020 331.32
2021 332.1
2022 322.51
2023 313.32
2024 453.65

All those written off EV's and stolen JLR products have to be paid for by someone.

You are starting to see it now where insurers are simply refusing to insure them so hopefully figures will start to come down again over the following years.

Manufacturers should have more accountability for the security they put in their cars.

Soldato
All those written off EV's and stolen JLR products have to be paid for by someone.

You are starting to see it now where insurers are simply refusing to insure them so hopefully figures will start to come down again over the following years.

Manufacturers should have more accountability for the security they put in their cars.

How about motors that won't start without some kind of precisely engineered device specific to that vehicle, which has to be inserted into a slot inside the vehicle? None of this radio nonsense... We'll call it a KEY :cry:

Caporegime
How about motors that won't start without some kind of precisely engineered device specific to that vehicle, which has to be inserted into a slot inside the vehicle? None of this radio nonsense... We'll call it a KEY :cry:

All down to lean manufacturing and penny pinching to give more money to shareholders. It actually costs more to make a proper ignition barrel with a key then some switch and fob.

Plus what do the manufacturers care? A stolen car to them is another potential sale. It is only now that companies are refusing to insure JLR products for example that they have started to do something about it.

Mobile tech has been there for a decade. They could quite easily equip cars with pin/facial/fingerprint recognition for very little cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do think that keyless entry and keyless start is a solution to something that was not a problem anyway.

You need to be in the car to drive it, and if you have the physical capability to drive then you're very likely to have the manual dexterity to insert a key and turn it.

I suppose not having to retrieve a key from your pocket/bag, press a button, then put it in the ignition and turn it will be a tiny bit more convenient, but is this extra layer of technology that is so open to exploitation worth it? I don't think so.

Caporegime
Shock.

Britain's financial watchdog said on Wednesday it had found shortcomings in how some motor insurance firms were valuing written-off or stolen vehicles, despite previous warnings against unfair treatment of customers in this way.

Following a review of multiple companies under its supervision, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) said it found evidence some firms were offering customers less than what the written-off or stolen vehicle was worth and only increasing that offer when a customer complained.

The regulator said it was engaging with the firms reviewed to ensure they made improvements in respect of its findings.

"Having your vehicle written off or stolen can be intensely stressful and we expect firms to offer the right support to help their customers," Sheldon Mills, the FCA's executive director, consumers and competition said in a statement.

Back
Top Bottom