Massive Car insurance costs?

Associate
I recently moved to a new estate 5 minutes walk away and quotes from comparison sites have jumped from £220 to £350+. All because they have no data on the new postcode. My current insurance provider were refusing to give me a price at all when creating a new quote. I just logged into my account expecting to be told to go away when changing the policy address. Only to find out that it was only going to cost me £18. Insurance is weird sometimes. I'm convinced a lot of it is calculated by a random number generator!

Soldato
a (good) few years ago i moved out of my rented house in central cambridge (fairly low risk) to a lovely little village still in cambs, but where the worst crime would be someone scrumping an apple from a tree on the way home from the local village pub. The insurance company said risk factors of the new postcode meant they would have to put up my premium.

i was only there 6 months and then moved back into the exact same house i moved out of........... and the insurance company said........................ yep! due to moving into a higher risk postcode they had to put up my premium again.
At that point i waited till my renewal and left. it is the one and only time i have told them to buzz off even after them offering to beat the best quote that i had when i told them i was leaving.

Last edited:
Soldato
Work this one out - My renewal Price on Admiral Multicar was £800 for a Polestar 2 and £1355 for a GV70.

You can only use your no claims bonus on one car, so it was against the Polestar 2.

The Polestar 2 has gone (Very recently) and my renewal is in about 10 days.

I thought that removing the Polestar 2 and putting all my 17 years no claims discount against the GV70 would bring that price down significantly, but for that car on it's own they want £1600! It's gone up £250!

I know there is a multicar discount I've lost, but it still makes no sense.

They were probably matching the NCD behind the scenes anyway. So its largely the loss of multicar.

Soldato
Work this one out - My renewal Price on Admiral Multicar was £800 for a Polestar 2 and £1355 for a GV70.

You can only use your no claims bonus on one car, so it was against the Polestar 2.
i am sure you already know this and probably it isnt applicable to you, just just on the very slight off chance...............

do you have a partner you could put on your policy? if you do you can use 2 no claims bonuses. My wife and I have Admiral multicar, I am policy holder and main driver on 1 car, my wife is the main driver on the other car, but we are both insured to drive both cars.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Result! Got Admiral down to £670. That’s cheaper than any comparison website quote. Having now switched to an annual payment, something I should have done last year, I’m now also playing less than last year. Not bad for a TTRS convertible, was expecting double that tbh the way things are going.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bad time to try and get insurance quotes on a BMW. lol. Flux wanted £2k. Chris Knott were £1.5k. But had a lovely chat with the bloke at Chris Knott who told me try taking my OAP father off as an additional driver. He is over 75 and that is some sort of cut off for a lot of insurers. Last year I paid £605 I think with £600 excess. This year, via confused.com I was quoted £419 with £500 excess. That was with Aviva. And then when checking the details over I noticed the reg was missing, edited the quote, put the reg in, and the price dropped again to £385! lol. Added some extra stuff and in the end it came out at £409. Result! Sorry Dad! :cry: (PS. Not all bad news, his policy does cover him on other vehicles so in an emergency at least I know he could drive it if push comes to shove).

Soldato
Opening the email was like opening my exam results lol
totally know the feeling as i went through this a couple of weeks ago (insurance quotes not exams). thankfully i came out reasonably unscathed after a bit of bartering over the phone.

edit... doh! i have already posted in this thread ..... sorry, i blame the lergy i am fighting off ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bad time to try and get insurance quotes on a BMW. lol. Flux wanted £2k. Chris Knott were £1.5k. But had a lovely chat with the bloke at Chris Knott who told me try taking my OAP father off as an additional driver. He is over 75 and that is some sort of cut off for a lot of insurers. Last year I paid £605 I think with £600 excess. This year, via confused.com I was quoted £419 with £500 excess. That was with Aviva. And then when checking the details over I noticed the reg was missing, edited the quote, put the reg in, and the price dropped again to £385! lol. Added some extra stuff and in the end it came out at £409. Result! Sorry Dad! :cry: (PS. Not all bad news, his policy does cover him on other vehicles so in an emergency at least I know he could drive it if push comes to shove).

I can remember my grandads insurance going up and up. He packed in at 86 after getting T-Boned by a guy in a rental who had the cheek to try and claim off him 3 years later! He still taught me clutch control at the tender age of 91 however!

Soldato
Well the emails finally come through

Last Year - £689.82
This Year - £868.24

+£178.42

What's that, just under 26% extra......maybe I'll ask work for a 26% increase :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Just got the 220 for another year. 300 quid. Up 25 quid from last year. Joke. You should get your premium back if you don't claim

Tax was 415 rip off as well.

Back
Top Bottom