Metal Gear Solid. The Phantom pain.

Caporegime
Foxeye, did you look up the cut final mission on youtube? It explains a little more and shouldn't have been cut (or rather they should have let the team finish the game instead of rushing a release).

I'm not sure it explains anything. It just puts you back at square one, really.

That's all this game does story-wise. Goes round in circles and ends back where you started.

It was deeply unsatisfying in its conclusion. Whichever conclusion you choose.

Soldato
Final got around to playing this and feel like I've been thrown in at the deep end. :p

Done and a few missions in Afghanistan but I'm struggling a little with stealth.
What's the difference between stunning an enemy with CQC and knocking 1 out with a tranq dart? Do they have different duration? I was clearing out an outpost when suddenly a soldier I tranq'd suddenly got up.

How do you get more suppresors, is there a way to upgrade their durability or carry more then 1?

What happens once you reach the max soldier cap at base, are you unable to fulton troops out anymore? I'm at 27/30 but lack the resources to expand, TBH I'm mainly using fultons to get rid of bodies. Is there a way to get rid of staff?

Soldato
Final got around to playing this and feel like I've been thrown in at the deep end. :p

Done and a few missions in Afghanistan but I'm struggling a little with stealth.
What's the difference between stunning an enemy with CQC and knocking 1 out with a tranq dart? Do they have different duration? I was clearing out an outpost when suddenly a soldier I tranq'd suddenly got up.

How do you get more suppresors, is there a way to upgrade their durability or carry more then 1?

What happens once you reach the max soldier cap at base, are you unable to fulton troops out anymore? I'm at 27/30 but lack the resources to expand, TBH I'm mainly using fultons to get rid of bodies. Is there a way to get rid of staff?

They get up after a while with tranq and knockout. Choking them out keeps them pacified the longest if I recall correctly.

You can only have the single suppressor in terms of durability. You can call in a drop which replenishes it. Later on some guns get slightly more durable suppressor and a couple get unlimited use on the suppressor, mainly pistols.

You can keep collecting enemy soilders once areas are maxed in a capacity. They just stay in the brig section. Yeah you can get rid of staff also. Useful to get rid of the crappy stat ones later on in the game.

Soldato
Thanks, been putting that to practice. :D

Been trying to do no kill runs, but damn they're so tempting when they're crowded round a barrel. If I ever do a 2nd playthrough, it will be violent. :p

Suspended
Thanks, been putting that to practice. :D

Been trying to do no kill runs, but damn they're so tempting when they're crowded round a barrel. If I ever do a 2nd playthrough, it will be violent. :p

I doubt that will happen, I am on level 40 and haven't touched it for ages, so repetitive after a while. Such a shame considering what Metal Gear used to be /;(

Associate
I doubt that will happen, I am on level 40 and haven't touched it for ages, so repetitive after a while. Such a shame considering what Metal Gear used to be /;(

I completed the game (130+) hours at release and I also feel the same way. But also because the game itself ended up heavy pushing players towards micro-transactions towards end-game (ridiculously grindy and unreasonable research times with the 'free-DLC' weapons added in updates).

That and they broke one of my favourite mods which renamed the guns to their real names (not fixed to this day), which is also what they were named in previous games. I don't know why they dropped the real gun names for this one game, when all the games before it had no issue. A shame since the SOCOM from the original Metal Gear Solid features in this game and most were only aware of it due to the mod naming it so. Many of the mods in general that made end-game, post-story a bit of fun just don't work. Doesn't help for longetivity to kill mods.

Caporegime

There's no reason to ever play this game again. The story is sparse and very weak.

The gameplay is the same from the first mission to the last.

And since you can keep replaying the missions and side-ops as often as you want, there's literally no reason at all to start again.

Suspended
Exactly. All of the above reasons and more.. I love the franchise but I can't help but think that they have ruined it in some ways.. especially being the last one in the series supposedly.

I mean I can still go play Metal Gear Solid (ps1 version) over and over again and get enjoyment from it. This just doesn't happen to have the attraction as the older titles.

Soldato
Had to take off reflex mode in the end, was just making things too easy, admitidly I've made plenty of mistakes and my scores have suffered for it, but at least when I do actually get a good rank, I feel like I've earned it. :p

I'm trying to go no-kill at the moemnt but is there any real penalty for killing soldiers other then the bonus score at the end? Seeing a ton of soldier with crappy skills, trying to set a standard of at least rank C before I "recruit". Would be handy to kill the scrubs from afar then go in and extract their stronger breathren.

Also is there a way to jam communications? So that if I do get discovered it doesn't alert every other base, I know you can destroy antennas, but I can seem to find a quiet way of doing it.

Soldato
I bought this game on release due to all the hype and great reviews, but somehow never got around to it. I planned to start playing once I finish Dying Light and Following (amazing game).
After reading previous page, my enthusiasm has evaporated. Sounds like I should just bin it.

Soldato
I bought this game on release due to all the hype and great reviews, but somehow never got around to it. I planned to start playing once I finish Dying Light and Following (amazing game).
After reading previous page, my enthusiasm has evaporated. Sounds like I should just bin it.

Dont:) Gameplay wise, there was never a better MGS game, the mechanics are simply better than ever. Its all very well saying that "MGS1 could be played forever, but MGS5 can not", but this is just hyperbole. MGS5 is light years ahaead of MGS1 and 2. It is more like a well tweaked MGS3, with some things missing, but lots of other options available. And without the codec scenes.

As you can see even the harshest critics have sinked 70hours into the game and this tells you something ;)

Turn off enemy markers, turn off or try to avoid relying on reflex and if you ever liked MGS, you re bound to have a blast with MGS5 - simple as :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Weird, why not do the facial animation separately from the voice? Not that I mind Sutherland's voice, its ok... But yeah, doesn's sound like a good enough reason to dump Hayter after all these years.

Caporegime
One of the problems I had with Snake's new voice is that I actually had trouble knowing who was talking. By the end I could just about tell Ocelot from Miller, but when Snake started talking I often confused him for one of the others.

Hayter's voice was so different you couldn't possibly confuse Snake for someone else.

The fact that so much of the dialogue is from recordings (cassettes) also makes it much more difficult to know immediately who is talking.

Did anyone else find this?

Back
Top Bottom