Metal Gear Solid. The Phantom pain.

Permabanned
One of the problems I had with Snake's new voice is that I actually had trouble knowing who was talking. By the end I could just about tell Ocelot from Miller, but when Snake started talking I often confused him for one of the others.

Hayter's voice was so different you couldn't possibly confuse Snake for someone else.

The fact that so much of the dialogue is from recordings (cassettes) also makes it much more difficult to know immediately who is talking.

Did anyone else find this?

Yes the voice change for me is what killed the snake that i know. I only played like 8% of the game and couldnt be bothered. Ive finished all the other MGS games but MGS 5 feels so much different and i blame it on Kiefer voice over.

Caporegime
Yes the voice change for me is what killed the snake that i know. I only played like 8% of the game and couldnt be bothered. Ive finished all the other MGS games but MGS 5 feels so much different and i blame it on Kiefer voice over.

That and that in many places he's a silent protagonist. The whole Skullface jeep ride, it's frankly ridiculous that Snake just sits there silently while he's giving his nonsensical monologue :p

Although in that scene I like to imagine Snake's silence is a representation of the player's utter lack of giving a crap by that point :p

Permabanned
I blame it all on filler missions and repetitive gameplay.

Yes i do agree, its the worst MGS game, proving that graphics over gameplay even in 2015 ruins the game if the gameplay aint up to scratch. I think ill just sell my copy at Cex and be done with it, i cba even knowing about the story.

Caporegime
:)

I'm in the "some of the best MGS/stealth gameplay ever" camp.

Even if a person agrees with this, the argument about repetitive gameplay still holds true.

For one, you can never complete all objectives in a given area the first, or even second time you visit. You keep coming back again and again to the same area, with the same guards on the same patrols, because the game demands it.

Imagine if in a single-player FPS, they kept telling you to play the same level over and over. Against the same AI, with the level playing the same way each time.

Even if you thought that level was brilliant the first time, being asked to go back and do it again multiple times in the same playthrough is just unnecessary padding of the game's running time.

So much of the "content" was simply "keep going back here". Even if you enjoyed the mechanics, that part surely is going to get on most people's nerves.

Soldato
So much of the "content" was simply "keep going back here". Even if you enjoyed the mechanics, that part surely is going to get on most people's nerves.

It does, but it is amazing what approaching an area from a different direction or at a different time can do and with different objectives. The AI isn't exactly the same every time, enemies can have different tactics based on what you do, or as you progress they have different gear sometimes...also, as you are constantly unlocking things and upgrading it can change your play style as well.

I thought the mechanics were so good I didn't really find it that repetitive tbh. It was repetitive obviously, but I didn't feel bored by it. I understand your points and even agree with most of them, and the game wasn't what I had hoped for at all, but I just really enjoyed it anyway tbh, despite it's flaws

Soldato
Imagine if in a single-player FPS, they kept telling you to play the same level over and over. Against the same AI, with the level playing the same way each time.

GTA does the exact same thing as does ARMA, Assassin Creed and other open world sandbox games. The level is the same, but it is big and nuanced enough to be interesting. THe enemies are different too, plus they adapt to your style.

THe main beauty of it being an open game (unlike MGS1/2 for example) is that you are free to choose from which side you're going to infiltrate some compound/base, you are'nt just following a predetermined corridor. There are many approaches and possibilites. Eg getting to the Afgan commander while he is at the Relay Base, intercepting the jeep that transports him somewhere after the relay base, get to him in the cave area before the soviets kill him (and you can enter each area from the south/north, over the bridge or under etc), or just ignore him altogether - all of this is beautifully non linear gameplay with huge number of possible ways of achieving the objective (to steal the "honey bee"). Open world gamepley does have downsides, but the upsides were used well by Kojima and Co.

Last edited:
Soldato
It does, but it is amazing what approaching an area from a different direction or at a different time can do and with different objectives. The AI isn't exactly the same every time, enemies can have different tactics based on what you do, or as you progress they have different gear sometimes...also, as you are constantly unlocking things and upgrading it can change your play style as well.

I thought the mechanics were so good I didn't really find it that repetitive tbh. It was repetitive obviously, but I didn't feel bored by it. I understand your points and even agree with most of them, and the game wasn't what I had hoped for at all, but I just really enjoyed it anyway tbh, despite it's flaws

This. I'm at 54 hours in since release in I didn't really feel like the game was forcing me into the same areas over and over again... Besides, who says that you have to complete all mission objectives?

The AI isn't always the same, they act differently depending on your approach. If you lay a lot of headshots, they'll start wearing helmets or NV goggles if you do a lot o missions at night etc. Besides, with this much gear at my disposal I never found myself appraching objectives in one fixed way. The attention to detail is amazing and all the typical Kojima quirks are there. There are loads of neat little touches and secret cutscenes. I especially like how you can use even the most pointless things you find/develop to your advantage (water pistol:p). You can get stinky over time and enemies will be able to smell you, you can use electrical wires during storms to electrocute enemies and many, many more.

This is one of the best playing games of all time. Not many titles layer and interlock its mechanics in such a clever way and it deserves praise for that alone. I get the repetitiveness arguments but all games are more or less repetitive. What matters is whether you enjoy a given formula.

Act II may be a complete joke but once you hit it you've probably already gotten your money's worh twice so no complaints from me.

Past MGS games didn't really do anything differently except the story and they felt less repetitive only because they were relatively short corridor affairs. On top of that, MGS2 sucked and MGS4's story is best forgotten:p The last one that was truly great was Snake Eater.

Phantom Pain should've been better and with a more fleshed out story but if this is Kojima at his worst then I don't really mind.

Soldato
Past MGS games didn't really do anything differently except the story and they felt less repetitive only because they were relatively short corridor affairs.

This is completely wrong, each successive game introduced new and different gameplay mechanics and still managed to tie it together with a good narrative, interesting and varied characters and lots of optional dialogue. MGS2 brought in first-person aiming, MGS3 had the camo, food and healing system and MGS4 experimented with bigger, more-open levels with areas that you could explore or ignore.

I'd have enjoyed the gameplay of Phantom Pain more if they'd managed to tie in the storyline more with the missions you're doing and throw in more dialogue, radio conversations etc to keep it interesting along the way. As it was, you were just doing seemingly irrelevant "fetch" missions most of the time without any real indication as to why. The best missions were the story-led ones which were often more linear and meant it actually started to feel a bit like an MGS game again.

Soldato
This is completely wrong, each successive game introduced new and different gameplay mechanics and still managed to tie it together with a good narrative, interesting and varied characters and lots of optional dialogue. MGS2 brought in first-person aiming, MGS3 had the camo, food and healing system and MGS4 experimented with bigger, more-open levels with areas that you could explore or ignore.

I'm saying they didn't do anything differently gameplay-wise in comparison with Phantom Pain. Besides, if every past MGS game improved its mechanics so much, then Phantom Pain simply blows them out of the water in this regard.

EDIT: The story isn't the best, I agree, but the tapes give some depth to the events of the game.

EDIT 2: MGS4 had a good narrative?;p

Caporegime
I got this game free when I bought my graphics card. I've never played any of the older MGS game before, and have yet to fire this one up, too.

Soldato
Finally finished it today, after 65 hours, though I left the last 3 hard missions, couldn't be bothered.

As a sneaking game, I loved it, 1 of the best I've played in a long time.
As a MGS game though, it felt quite weak, story really did grab me and the pacing felt terrible, it didn't build up to a satisfying end.

Also those rehased filler missions were terrible.

Soldato
COmpleted mission
30 today... Who said that the game was unfinished and felt like it was dropped after mission 20? I saw some top notch mission and level design, including never before seen areas, and fantastic cinematics.
Absolutely loved it, will no doubt keep coming back to this game, it is one of the best games that I've played.

The secret is to ignore all the "filler" side missions, there is plenty to do in the main story and this way the game manages to keep things interesting with dialogues, new characters and fun set plays.

Soldato
I loved the gameplay it was just disappointing to see it half finished after the polish and quality of the other games. Whatever happened between Kojima and Konami screwed the players, but hey the gaming industry is a mess anyway.

The worst thing is that this amazing Fox Engine will probably never be seen again.

Associate
COmpleted mission
30 today... Who said that the game was unfinished and felt like it was dropped after mission 20? I saw some top notch mission and level design, including never before seen areas, and fantastic cinematics.
Absolutely loved it, will no doubt keep coming back to this game, it is one of the best games that I've played.

The secret is to ignore all the "filler" side missions, there is plenty to do in the main story and this way the game manages to keep things interesting with dialogues, new characters and fun set plays.
I don't know if anyone has said that, but after mission 30 *minor minor spoilers*
when you get into chapter 2 the game definitely was rushed and unfinished. They even padded out the mission list with missions you've already done but with tougher objectives.

Soldato
Having played a couple more missions after
mission 30, yes, I can now see the point of the critics:) Playing the exact same mission from before, just without weapons and items, everything to be procured on site... Which is hard and fun, but I'm glad not all of the "Chapter 2" missions are like that. In any case, Chapter 2 seems like a freebie/dlc/bonus, it starts after you watch end of game credits. I'll see how it goes, but the game up to mission 30 was well worth it on it own, the absence of David Hayter was its biggest minus for me, everything else is a plus compared to previous MGSs, even the trademark MGS quirky story and epic cinematics :)

Soldato
This. I'm at 54 hours in since release in I didn't really feel like the game was forcing me into the same areas over and over again... Besides, who says that you have to complete all mission objectives?

The AI isn't always the same, they act differently depending on your approach. If you lay a lot of headshots, they'll start wearing helmets or NV goggles if you do a lot o missions at night etc. Besides, with this much gear at my disposal I never found myself appraching objectives in one fixed way. The attention to detail is amazing and all the typical Kojima quirks are there. There are loads of neat little touches and secret cutscenes. I especially like how you can use even the most pointless things you find/develop to your advantage (water pistol:p). You can get stinky over time and enemies will be able to smell you, you can use electrical wires during storms to electrocute enemies and many, many more.

This is one of the best playing games of all time. Not many titles layer and interlock its mechanics in such a clever way and it deserves praise for that alone. I get the repetitiveness arguments but all games are more or less repetitive. What matters is whether you enjoy a given formula.

Act II may be a complete joke but once you hit it you've probably already gotten your money's worh twice so no complaints from me.

Past MGS games didn't really do anything differently except the story and they felt less repetitive only because they were relatively short corridor affairs. On top of that, MGS2 sucked and MGS4's story is best forgotten:p The last one that was truly great was Snake Eater.

Phantom Pain should've been better and with a more fleshed out story but if this is Kojima at his worst then I don't really mind.
Thanks for an objective and comprehensive review. Might give this a go. Did 4 on ps3 so..

Back
Top Bottom