**** Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Thread ****

Man of Honour
Another system update has arrived:

Microsoft driver update for Surface Embedded Controller Firmware

•v88.1171.256.0 adjustments to system thermal tuning and optimizes battery utilization in connected standby and in low battery scenario.

Microsoft driver update for Surface Management Engine

•v11.0.11.1006 improves system stability resuming from sleep or hibernation and increased reliability of touch and pen capabilities.

Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. driver update for Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth Radio Adapter

•v15.68.9040.67 enhances Wi-Fi driver settings to support Gulf region.

Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. driver update for Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller

•v15.68.9040.67 enhances Wi-Fi driver settings to support Gulf region.

Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) Precise Touch Device

•v1.1.0.240 improves touch stability.

If you have a Samsung SSD:

Microsoft driver update for Surface NVM Express Controller

•v10.0.4.0 improves stability of NVMe Storage.

Soldato
So I just wanted to chime in.

I caved and bought a Pro 4 i7 8GB. Opened it up and was disappointed.

Some slight mechanical scratches near the usb ports.

A small dent in the kick stand.

Massive backlight bleed.

Glass screen coming away from the chassis.

The pen acting strange like its still registering it like a left click and hold. Maybe due to the screen/software.

Sadly it's going back and I don't want a replacement. This is a £1299 device. It shouldn't have any build quality flaws. Quite bummed out as I like the idea of the device.

Man of Honour
So I just wanted to chime in.

I caved and bought a Pro 4 i7 8GB. Opened it up and was disappointed.

Some slight mechanical scratches near the usb ports.

A small dent in the kick stand.

Massive backlight bleed.

Glass screen coming away from the chassis.

The pen acting strange like its still registering it like a left click and hold. Maybe due to the screen/software.

Sadly it's going back and I don't want a replacement. This is a £1299 device. It shouldn't have any build quality flaws. Quite bummed out as I like the idea of the device.

That is socking. I wonder if they sent you a return.

Associate
Just picked up a SP4 i5 8GB as a replacement for my ageing iPad. Great device but I am a little disappointed with Tablet Mode, was hoping it would be more "Tabletly!" and still finding myself picking up the iPad if i just want to check something quickly.

Soldato
Some photos of my returned Surface. Hopefully the next Surface is built a bit better.

Also how hot did it get when I did a factory reset! and the fan...so loud.

Juf13mO.jpg

DVqLCxv.jpg

F5dYn7Z.jpg

itdZJbB.jpg

aRjIdWm.jpg

OBOjQOG.jpg

Man of Honour
Another system update:

Microsoft driver update for Surface UEFI

Surface UEFI

•v89.1203.768.0 improves system stability when the device resumes operation from sleep or hibernation, and optimizes battery use in connected standby.

Microsoft driver update for Surface Base Firmware Update

Surface Base Firmware Update

•v1.2.104.0 reduces the occurrence of unexpected shutdowns while the device is sleeping.

Microsoft driver update for Surface Integration

Surface Integration Driver

•v1.1.291.0 resolves issues where the touch screen remains active when the clipboard is closed against the keyboard.

Man of Honour
it really annoys me how kickstand isn't bog standard on 95% of tablets. I don't see what the excuse is. As well as magnetic charging cable.

surface is just a bit expensive for me, but then known has released anything close for cheaper.

charging port on my dell has essentially broken, not sure what i'll do. tempted to wait and see what surface book 2 is like and start saving.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
probably not till October.
although theres also rumors they will delay the release until red stone 2 is out (spring 2017).

Last edited:
Associate
Got a SP4 Yesterday just got the Core M version because that is all that my needs required.

It seems the battery sleep drain is an issue still. It went down 5% in less than an hour is their any fixes coming for this?

I am just using the power button to put it into sleep mode is that correct?

Soldato
it really annoys me how kickstand isn't bog standard on 95% of tablets. I don't see what the excuse is. As well as magnetic charging cable.

surface is just a bit expensive for me, but then known has released anything close for cheaper.

charging port on my dell has essentially broken, not sure what i'll do. tempted to wait and see what surface book 2 is like and start saving.

kickstand is pattened

Soldato
Got a SP4 Yesterday just got the Core M version because that is all that my needs required.

It seems the battery sleep drain is an issue still. It went down 5% in less than an hour is their any fixes coming for this?

I am just using the power button to put it into sleep mode is that correct?

A bit late. Did you do all updates as it was fix before you posted.

Man of Honour
Well it's been 6+ months or so with my Surface, and well, I'm not overly happy with it. Here's my main reasons why.

• It's not a great laptop as the type cover is flimsy and the track pad isn't nice to use. Which wouldn't be so bad if...
  • ...it was a good tablet. But it's not. You just can't pick it up and use it like an iPad.
  • Still having issues with power/sleep. Such as not waking up from sleep.

I think I'll be keeping it till the new MacBook Pro's come out and grab one of them. Having a larger screen iPhone kind of negates the tablet requirement, saying that I do miss my iPad somewhat. Yeah, I get that I'd have to spend a lot to get where I was, but the truth is I can see the Surface getting sold soon.

Back
Top Bottom