Mondeo ST220 Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
pressure aside, with a cone the air reaching the maf sensor will be turbulent and irratic, resulting in poor maf readings, thus poor fueling

why would it be? Air going through a standard airbox will have even worse air due to the fact its taking so many bends, and in most cases goes through resonator boxes to cut out noise.

@ matt i ment 30c not 40, mistype.

And i dont know why fords bodged the design really, maybe its because of insurance group and if the car had come with 160bhp less kids would be able to afford it? or maybe it was to reduce noise? Standard ford airboxes are fine, straight in, straight out into the TB, not on the ST.... maybe you should ask ford why?

to be fair im not 100% what u guys mean by a venturi in the airbox... surely the venturi is in the inlet area way after the airbox.

I mean the venturi effect happens at the valve also, air getting sucked in, pressure increases through the port but pressure into the cylinder itself is lower than what it was before the port. This is, the venturi effect at work... The restriction of the port/valve area.

pressure increases through the restriction, but not on the other side of this restriction.

Restrictions are bad, if they wasnt why do people bother making ports bigger or getting bigger throttle bodies?

so have a mr funny guy pic aimed at u:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
get a cone, then well line em up when youre back in southend direction. lets see if you really do get 15bhp from a cone

mine is 150bhp too

Soldato
nope, i go up southend sometimes, but not with any crowd.

as said, the standard ST150 air induction system is TERRIBLE. *all* cone filters with *GOOD* cold airfeeds have gained 10bhp, as in fastford mag, performance ford mag, online, and users before and after power runs show....

do you want to bet some money that ive lost power then???? ;) seriously... I could do with some easy money.
go on overlag, i could do with a laugh

Soldato
have a drag race up public streets? that have road humps? Yeah im gona come to southend and do this aint i.

that about tops all the stupid posts ive read of yours so far

so, does yours have a cone? has it lost power? still up for some *easy* money?

mine is only a shonky old golf, had 150bhp when it left wolfsburg 13 years and 182k miles ago. tbh, id probably have to ditch the airbox and fit a cone just to get standard bhp

Soldato
that about tops all the stupid posts ive read of yours so far

so, does yours have a cone? has it lost power? still up for some *easy* money?

mine is only a shonky old golf, had 150bhp when it left wolfsburg 13 years and 182k miles ago. tbh, id probably have to ditch the airbox and fit a cone just to get standard bhp

so you think its smart to drag race up and down the sea front of southend.

top guy! :rolleyes:

Soldato
no, you made up the seafront part, i said you were off your face.

there are plenty of sections of private road we have access to for when we have carried out timing on our cars, one in dunton too. much closer to you too

they say the bs drops when the green flag drops, but i take it you no longer stand by your claims

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11809611 said:
What on earth are you arguing about?

he thinks a standard airbox is better than a uprated system and hes whining i wont race him on public roads. and hes basically followed me around other threads too (1664bhp one). ignored him now, absolutely no point in it at all.

Its totally trashed this ST220 thread and for no reason at all.

Sorry to the mods and MrLOL for this mess.

Soldato
he thinks a standard airbox is better than a uprated system and hes whining i wont race him on public roads. and hes basically followed me around other threads too (1664bhp one). ignored him now, absolutely no point in it at all.

Its totally trashed this ST220 thread and for no reason at all.

Sorry to the mods and MrLOL for this mess.

teacher, teacher!

Soldato
Didn't K&N take Dangerous's ST220 like 5 years ago, whack a K&N on it and dyno before and after? It made more power but he took it off because of the insurance hike... or something ;)
I've always regarded Miltek as being quality but a few people on here have said ST220+Miltek=less power.

Soldato
why would it be? Air going through a standard airbox will have even worse air due to the fact its taking so many bends, and in most cases goes through resonator boxes to cut out noise.

because the air comes in through the intake, into the airbox, is smoothed out by the airbox trumpet then enters the maf cone where the maf sensor is housed. This is a far sight from air entering a big open filter then directly hitting the maf cone and sensor.

Removing the trumpet usually results in less torque with a perceived increase in power high up the rev range, I say perceived as it isn't actually a power increase but the lack of torque present lower down the rev range doesn't show up high up.

Another knock on effect is higher fuel consumption due to needing more throttle to compensate for the lack of torque.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom