*** Motorola Moto X Style/Play Thread ***

Soldato
Why does the Style only have a 3000mAh battery when the Play has a 3630mAh one? Surely it would make more sense to give the one capable of recording and playing 4K video the larger battery, wouldn't it?

Soldato
I'd echo what others have said in that I'd have been tempted by the Moto Play but the handset is slightly on the large side for my liking. A 5.5" is really at the limit of what I'd even contemplate buying. I'd much prefer 4.7" sized phone.

Right now I'm holding out to see what the 2015 Google/LG Nexus 5 is like as I think that might be a better bet. Pus running literally stock Android it should get faster upgrades and better support overall.

I appreciate the fact Motorola has fitted a 3630 mAH battery though. It's always been a complaint of mine that manufacturers bring out these amazing phones you want to use all day then concentrate on making them so slim that they only have space for a battery that dies around dinner time.

Associate
They don't need to make the phone massively tall to fit in the speakers either.

Look at the Alcatel Idol 3 for instance.

Yes i agree, the extra cost doesn't bother me, the Moto X Play comes with the advantage of water resistant coating, definately longer supported unlike Alcatel/ZTE, better build quality, probably smoother performance with the same specs, better battery life.

Front facing stereo speakers would have capped off a great all around phone, yes the Style is great but 1080p is the sweet spot IMO on a 5.5' to 5.7' phone with better app support and battery life than 2k phones.

Caporegime
The style is out of the question

Too big
Too high resolution
Waaaaay too small battery

But the play lacks good speakers

But with battery life the main sticking point of all my phones is either the play or one plus 2.looking more like the play

Associate
I don't get how the users of the phone can know what phone Motorola phone should release, yet Motorola don't.

Trouble is everybody has different needs and/or requirements. Motorola will have done a ton of market research before deciding what phones to make and only time will tell if they got it right!

Caporegime
I will be upgrading from this - http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_p1-4410.php

As you can see it's ancient and is now slow as hell (proper long pauses doing the simplest of tasks even after a wipe+reset) so any phone released in the past year is going to be a massive upgrade for me.

I tend to spend good money on a phone and hope it lasts 3yrs'ish, I'm not one of these people that swap every 3months.

Soldato
They must have spoken to giants then because the majority don't want a 5.7" phone.

Not giants.... Adults.

After all - nobody bought a note / iPhone 6+ right? Just because you don't want something doesn't mean the rest of the population don't.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess we'll have to see how well it sells but I suppose their reasoning is the style fits a hole in the market which could only potentially also be filled by the new big nexus

Associate
I don't get how the users of the phone can know what phone Motorola phone should release, yet Motorola don't.

Because they're idiots :D

Maybe unfair to Motorola ;) I have last years Moto X and it's a good phone. When released at 5.2" I thought no way but got it anyway and soon got over that. Not perfect .. but could have been close. Battery not great, camera OK but only in good light and display a bit dim outdoors in bright daylight. Should have had stereo speakers but that was never a deal breaker.

X Play could be a replacement for X '14 but apart from bigger battery and better camera it feels like a sidegrade. See what the reviews say when they come out. X Style looks a better upgrade but I suspect the battery won't be a lot better than the current Moto X with that big QHD display. I don't know for sure though. Could be too big for my use, which is a disappointment.

I'll wait and see what the new Nexus 5 is like - but then I'll miss Moto Display. Nothing says 'buy me' currently.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
Motorola said when the 2013 X was released, that it was important to have a managable phone that was usable with one hand.

When the 2014 X came out they clearly abandoned this and the 2015 X is more evidence of this.

They don't really seem to be trying to differentiate with hardware anymore, it's all software now.

Back
Top Bottom