*** Motorola Moto X Style/Play Thread ***

Soldato
Definitely between the X Play, X Style and 2015 Nexus 5 for me. Of the three the Play looks great but I am concerned about the SOC. Obviously we've not seen much around the new N5 but the Snapdragon 620 sounds good.

Associate
Under powered...how so? No skinned bloat to push and the 808 runs nice enough on the LG G4.

The camera is not a sure hit - have to wait for the reviews.

Of course it's underpowered, SN808 is not as quick as SN810(depends on throttling) or Exynos 7420.

Look at the 3dmark slingshot scores below, more than twice as fast.

LG G4 - 507
Galaxy S6 - 1274

Even the Snapdragon 805 powered LG G3 scores better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not giants.... Adults.

After all - nobody bought a note / iPhone 6+ right? Just because you don't want something doesn't mean the rest of the population don't.

Galaxy normally outsell the note, I would guess the 6 outsells the 6+, there is a market but having only a large flagship is not wise I think.

Of course it's underpowered, SN808 is not as quick as SN810(depends on throttling) or Exynos 7420.

Look at the 3dmark slingshot scores below, more than twice as fast.

LG G4 - 507
Galaxy S6 - 1274

Even the Snapdragon 805 powered LG G3 scores better.

Good thing you don't need to run benchmarks all day long.

The play does look pretty solid at that price, I'm in a market for a new phone for my mom and she would like something bigger, thinking too go with this instead of a note for the better battery life, smoother software, has an SD card, and less useless features for her.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not everyone plays 3d intensive games either. Most people will be fine with this SoC and I have yet to encounter any issue with it on the G4.

Last edited:
Soldato
Comparing it to an S6 is a bit daft isn't it. Its a fair bit more expensive isn't it.
Games on a phone suck big time anyway so its fine for me.

Caporegime
More I look at it the less I understand the battery decision!
Less battery on that higher ppi screen, larger screen, more powerful cpu?

Is 2gb of ram enough on the play? I'm not sure? Sounds like it should be?

Kind of gutted the play doesn't have stereo speakers. Which may be one reason for not getting either

Associate
Comparing it to an S6 is a bit daft isn't it. Its a fair bit more expensive isn't it.
Games on a phone suck big time anyway so its fine for me.

Daft would be not knowing the Moto X Style 16GB is £359 on their website while you can pickup a Galaxy S6 32GB for £362(According to Google).

Prices are close enough, gaming is great on my Galaxy S6 and Shield Tablet. :D

Associate
32GB hahahaha - non expandable.
Good luck shooting in 1080p60 or 4K when you have storage full of games/apps/music/videos.

You can get by with 32GB, you just need to offload large files to your PC/Cloud.

16GB internal is horrible even with as sdcard, takes no time to fill and then your uninstalling apps to make room and moving files around constantly to maintain a large enough space to keep your phone fast and responsive.

I had enough of that with the Galaxy S4, it was a constant pain.

Soldato
It just goes to show that SN808 just isn't future proof and it wouldn't surprise me if performance was noticeably slower in some current games, especially if they render at 1440p.

Depends on the game, and not all users are the same. Also the most popular games have ****** graphics, if it runs candy crash and the latest angry birds its fine for like 90%. Also rather an S808 with good battery life and no heat issues then a toaster like the S810, they can't get the latest samsung silicon so there isn't a huge amount of choice.

Also all the reviews for the LG G4 have been good, not really heard anyone complain so it should be okay. Benchmarks in there nature are meant to stress the SoC more then it would normally.

Daft would be not knowing the Moto X Style 16GB is £359 on their website while you can pickup a Galaxy S6 32GB for £362(According to Google).

Prices are close enough, gaming is great on my Galaxy S6 and Shield Tablet. :D

The S6 is £499 on Samsung sites, not exactly fair to compare the Moto X style against questionable 3rd parties.

Associate
Depends on the game, and not all users are the same. Also the most popular games have ****** graphics, if it runs candy crash and the latest angry birds its fine for like 90%. Also rather an S808 with good battery life and no heat issues then a toaster like the S810, they can't get the latest samsung silicon so there isn't a huge amount of choice.

I play proper games, Enemy Within, Godus, GTA SA, Vainglory, Godus is quite demanding with all the graphics turned up

It's all well and good saying what the average user does, but this is an enthusiast site and we are not average users. It's a strange argument coming from somebody on OCUK. You wouldn't say to somebody here to get a GTX960 over a GTX980 because the average user doesn't play games, that's irrelevant.

The S6 is £499 on Samsung sites, not exactly fair to compare the Moto X style against questionable 3rd parties.

Of course it's fair, it's the only price we currently have to go on. Unless I you can find somebody doing pre-orders for the Moto X Style?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom