*NEW* 2015 Dell Inspiron 15 - 7559, i7 6700HQ/GTX960M owners thread

Soldato
It's a 2280 length slot and there is a screw in the laptop ready to hold it down. I put a samsung 850 evo 250gb in mine, cloned over the OS from the existing drive and restarted the laptop, didnt even need to go into the bios as the m.2 slot is port 0. The laptop doesnt support PCIE SSD's so your stuck with m.2 6GB sata. It boots into the Windows 10 login page in around 5 seconds now.

Nice :)
Ordered the same one for £75 delivered.
On the 29th I should receive my laptop and my SSD.
I hope to receive the ram too but that wasn't expedited delivery so who knows!?!

It's looking like this could be a good week :)

Associate
It's a 2280 length slot and there is a screw in the laptop ready to hold it down. I put a samsung 850 evo 250gb in mine, cloned over the OS from the existing drive and restarted the laptop, didnt even need to go into the bios as the m.2 slot is port 0. The laptop doesnt support PCIE SSD's so your stuck with m.2 6GB sata. It boots into the Windows 10 login page in around 5 seconds now.

Hey, I've never done this before and i'm looking to do the same thing so can i just ask, once you've put the SSD in and clone the drive, what do you do with the files in the original hard drive? Can i delete them or should i just leave them there?

Thanks

Associate
Hey, I've never done this before and i'm looking to do the same thing so can i just ask, once you've put the SSD in and clone the drive, what do you do with the files in the original hard drive? Can i delete them or should i just leave them there?

Thanks

Me personally, I have just left the disk as is. I figured if it needs returning one day I can just unplug the SSD I added and it would boot back to how it was shipped. I just made a DATA folder on the original drive and save anything into that. Easy to back up that way. I think my 1TB SSHD had about 930GB free space so plenty for me.

One thing to note, I used the Samsung migration tool and after it cloned it flagged the old drive as inactive in windows so it didnt show back up in windows until I flagged it as active again.

Associate
I have this laptop. Went for the base model but upgraded ram from 8GB to 16GB (£30~) and an 840 evo m2 from OCUK b-grade for £30~.

Solid little machine, plays even GTA 5 really well on mid-high @ 1080p. My screen has a bit of back light bleed at the bottom but is tolerable. Wasn't bad enough personally to DSR it.

Soldato
I guess I just put the new SSD in and clone the old drive, but what's the best free cloning software nowadays? I can't remember what I used last time when I upgraded to a larger SSD on my desktop :(

Associate
I guess I just put the new SSD in and clone the old drive, but what's the best free cloning software nowadays? I can't remember what I used last time when I upgraded to a larger SSD on my desktop :(

If you have the Samsung drive use the free migration tool from their website. Also download the latest magician software for windows 10 and run your drive in rapid mode!

Soldato
OP
YEAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
I have the LG panel :)

Scweeeet :cool: You'll enjoy it, I am sure ;)

If it's not already updated, you need to get the latest Intel WiFi driver (no need for the ProSet tool), touchpad driver (the one mine shipped with was pants) and nVidia GeForce Experience (that'll keep the video driver up to date)

I've updated the system BIOS too, but for no reason than there was a newer one.

Soldato
OP
I agree, but for the money there isn't anything close. I did see an asus laptop with thunderbolt 3 and maybe even DDR4 support for around £800, but I think it had a lesser GPU / vram, CPU.

Yeah, next thing close is like £800 - 850. How Dell put this package together, I don't know. Some of the materials used show it's low cost nature, but it's by no means a cheap feeling product.

Oh aaand I'm at work, on my Jack Jones with my Dell and a 200Mb leased line... Work bandwidth misappropriation is rife today

Soldato
Scweeeet :cool: You'll enjoy it, I am sure ;)

If it's not already updated, you need to get the latest Intel WiFi driver (no need for the ProSet tool), touchpad driver (the one mine shipped with was pants) and nVidia GeForce Experience (that'll keep the video driver up to date)

I've updated the system BIOS too, but for no reason than there was a newer one.

Cheers.
It's odd because Dell update hasn't updated anything, but it seems pretty crap so I guess that's why. I'll remove it tonight if it's not needed.

So far I have:

Done Windows update
Installed latest Nvidia drivers
Turned off UAC
Removed a load of useless rubbish that I didn't want installed on it
Used Autoruns to stop loads of startup processes
Removed crappy anti-virus and replaced it with Nod32
Installed Startisback

When I get home tonight I'll put the extra 8GB ram plus the M2 SSD and ghost over how the HDD is now. I'll also make an image of it as it is now so if I need to start again anytime I can start from here. I'll also check the Dell website for updates. Once all is done I'll be putting Steam on it and giving it a good crack at playing some games.

I'll be using it daily at work. The first half of my day is always very busy, however later on I end up sat about with not a lot to do. That's why I went for this laptop, I need it to be quite snappy for day to day work, but with a nice little bit of gaming grunt so when I'm bored I can start getting through those 250+ games on Steam that I've got in various sales but never played :D

Soldato
OP
Oddly Dell update updated a few things for me, like the touchpad driver (it shipped without scrolling working for example) but not the video driver or wifi. The wifi kept disconnecting randomly. Googling the adaptor brought up the Intel page with latest version and its rock solid now.

Tomb Raider and BF3 (with some settings adjusted to suite, mostly high) run perfect, very happy with it so far and I only see 65ish C on the GPU. Someone on here posted about a laptop they have with this GPU (Asus iirc) being noisy and hitting the high 80s, so its impressive.

CPU wise this thing is a monster, roughly 2500k performance in a potable machine is mind blowing and it's faster than my i5 4970 (iirc) work machine, which admittedly is Windows 7.

Plus it looks and feels darn cool ;)

I'd leave the install on the hdd in case you need to rma it in the future, just create a DATA folder for Steam games etc :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
I downloaded the Dell recovery image from the website so if I need to I can restore it to factory settings.
Now I have wiped the original HDD and am using it as storage/games :D

Back
Top Bottom