Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Soldato
Perhaps it is faulty?

Wouldn't jump to an S6, how about a z5? A friend hated the S6 Edge, too footery and terrible battery life!

I can also vouch for the S6 Edge being pretty terrible in the battery life department.

Had it out and about the first time today and took a couple of pictures at Ibrox from todays game (Rangers vs Hibs). Was really impressed with how they came out.

I'm still naked on the handset (3 days in of course) but of course the above pics are worrying. However I went for the Black so I'm hoping it will last quite well as it feels great in the hand.

Soldato
Soldato
Hope you're right, however I believe Tauren had the black so maybe not.

Just found a thread on xda with people discussing this issue, here is a picture of how somebody said their white ended up:

http://s12.postimg.org/fo0ocd7l9/IMG_20151125_121545169_HDR.jpg

Really not sure I want to keep it based on that.

Also, here is a picture somebody posted showing their discoloured black:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/05/3a02443ca2de7792f84f3612c09994d3.jpg

That white phone :eek:

Well I ordered the office USB C to USB A cable from the Google Play store along with their official Nexus 5X case so I'll see how that feels :)

It's a shame the surface seems to pick up all this oil etc considering how good it feels in the hand :(

Soldato
I almost avoided white as I figured it could end up looking grubby, but its not even that. I know a case is an option, but I don't want a case and shouldn't really have to.

Soldato
So my official case has been dispatched, I'll post up some impressions when I receive it.

This is my first day at work with the phone and what was impressive is that doze kicked in even with the thing in my pocket all day and not on my desk.

Returned home with 67% left with 1hr SoT, listened to around 1hr 30mins of podcasts and the phone has been connected to my Moto 360 all day also, that to me is fairly impressive.

Soldato
So after a week with the 5X I have to admit I am really happy with both the performance and battery life.

Performance wise I do get the occasional stutter but around 99% of the time everything runs smoothly and that to be fair is good enough for me. The Camera seems absolutely solid and Marshmallow is a joy to use so far. (This being my first proper stock Android Phone since the the Galaxy Nexus).

Battery life wise...which was a concern has been such a pleasant surprise. Doze is an absolutely fantastic feature and gives you so much extra life throughout the day which is brilliant. I am easily surviving the day whereas with the S6 Edge before I did struggle at times.

Also I've now encased the phone in the official Nexus 5X case and it looks pretty great however does add a bit of bulk that it will take just a bit of getting used to...but I do love the soft touch back.

Overall I'm really happy with my decision and the way I'll possibly replace this in 2016 will be with another Nexus 5 refresh :p

Soldato
Small security update landed today...11mb or so...

I had absolutely terrible battery life the other day at work realised why...ambient display was obviously activating constantly in my pocket at work and prevented doze mode from kicking in.

Having turned it off today the battery life has been back to it's best sitting at around 70% at 4:30pm having unplugged at 7:00am.

Soldato
Hope you're right, however I believe Tauren had the black so maybe not.

Just found a thread on xda with people discussing this issue, here is a picture of how somebody said their white ended up:

http://s12.postimg.org/fo0ocd7l9/IMG_20151125_121545169_HDR.jpg

Really not sure I want to keep it based on that.

Also, here is a picture somebody posted showing their discoloured black:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/05/3a02443ca2de7792f84f3612c09994d3.jpg

I had my white for a couple of weeks, and it had picked up a fair bit of discolouration around the edges. Worse than the N5 I had. Was quite disappointing really - I think the white is the best colour but not if it picks up grot so easily.

Associate
I got a Nexus 5x for the wife last week as her Nexus 4 had the issue with the 3 on screen buttons not working.
Kinda wish I'd got one myself now. It fits in my hand so much better than my 6p :(

Soldato
I had my white for a couple of weeks, and it had picked up a fair bit of discolouration around the edges. Worse than the N5 I had. Was quite disappointing really - I think the white is the best colour but not if it picks up grot so easily.

Thanks, I sent it back in the end. Such a shame, really happy with it otherwise

Soldato
Lag update: I wondered if some of you could do me a favour? If I run Geekbench I get around 1200ish on the first run, and then the second or third it goes down to 660ish. I'm wondering if I have a faulty phone or not because the lag is unbearable whenever I start to do much. Camera app is especially laggy and I can't imagine people are using a phone like this here without complaint! I saw someone else with bad lag issues gets the same thing with Geekbench so if someone could try that would be fab. :)

Soldato
I was going to get the mint 5x, after seeing the display model in carphone warehouse I went for black. The mint colour had change shade is different places and looked horrible.

My black 5x picked up unremovable finger oils on the back. So put it in a case if you're keeping it. For sure.

Back
Top Bottom