Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Soldato
Hmm interesting. Mine is pretty much straight down to 660ish and stays there. Many thanks for trying.

Not a problem. Can you not request a replacement through warranty?
Have you tried the test with none of your apps installed?

On a side note, Has anyone found any decent USB type C chargers that work well with the 5X? i.e. Rapid charge.

Associate
Those with oily marks on the back have you tried cleaning it with a dab of washing up liquid on a damp cloth see if it removes it?

Soldato
Has anyone upgraded from the Nexus 5 to the new Nexus 5x?

I current have a Nexus 5 and fancy an upgrade to something new with better specs, camera, a fingerprint reader and improved battery life.

Is Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X a worthwhile upgrade?

Soldato
Has anyone upgraded from the Nexus 5 to the new Nexus 5x?

I current have a Nexus 5 and fancy an upgrade to something new with better specs, camera, a fingerprint reader and improved battery life.

I thought it was. The camera is miles ahead of the N5, I'm getting roughly 5hrs screen on time with the 5X compared to 3hrs at a push on the original. I had to get a new phone as my N5 was knackered beyond repair.

The only thing that is annoying me about the N5X is the lag during charging. I've tried all methods of charging but it is constantly there when charging. Other than that, It is a great phone.

Associate

Massively so, I thought.

I thought it was. The camera is miles ahead of the N5, I'm getting roughly 5hrs screen on time with the 5X compared to 3hrs at a push on the original. I had to get a new phone as my N5 was knackered beyond repair.

The only thing that is annoying me about the N5X is the lag during charging. I've tried all methods of charging but it is constantly there when charging. Other than that, It is a great phone.

I'd echo that, including the charging lag issue! Not sure what it's like when in the car, but I'm generally not fiddling with the phone/screen when driving...

I miss my 6P for the speed, but the size of the 5X suits me much, much more. Went back to an old N5 for a few days when the 6P was up for sale, and whilst the N5 is still great, the 5X kills it really.

Soldato
Coal. I like the specs of the 6p and would happily spend the extra for it but I feel like a 5" phone is the perfect size so don't want anything larger.

The only issues I've had with my Nexus 5 are the odd random restart which bizarrely seems more frequent when not using the phone and it's simply sitting on the desk. Also, the compass on my phone always seemed to be off around 45 degrees when using maps or nav.

Any other issues to be aware of with the Nexus 5x? I rarely use the phone when it's charging other than as sat nav in the car. Presumably it won't affect that simply running if the screen isn't being used?

Last edited:
Soldato
Coal. I like the specs of the 6p and would happily spend the extra for it but I feel like a 5" phone is the perfect size so don't want anything larger.

The only issues I've had with my Nexus 5 are the odd random restart which bizarrely seems more frequent when not using the phone and it's simply sitting on the desk. Also, the compass on my phone always seemed to be off around 45 degrees when using maps or nav.

Any other issues to be aware of with the Nexus 5x? I rarely use the phone when it's charging other than as sat nav in the car. Presumably it won't affect that simply running if the screen isn't being used?

I have to say from my experience so far with the 5X it can be either a) a delight or b) a nightmare...now hear me out.

When everything ticks along nicely the 5X is a fantastic piece of hardware which has snappy performance with a great screen and feels great in the hand.

The camera is second to none and I do find the shots I've taken with it come out right...first time.

However performance while generally great can turn into stuttering mess at times which can be frustrating. This is more than likely down to the limited ram (2GB) however more than likely down to the combination of apps installed by whatever user...your own experience is going to be vastly effected by this factor. This can be solved by either clearing the cache...but a more solid fix is to restart your phone.

Also when things do get intensive for the 5X things get warm, then you notice problems and then you get pretty drastic battery drain. Most days I am easily getting through the full day but sometimes for unexplained reasons or I've decided to spend a bit more time using the device, in terms of a demanding app, I am reaching for the charger.

The good thing about the 5X however is it WILL get better with age, this was the case with the Nexus 5 and if you read around the web issues with performance have been discussed at length by many, this will no doubt be addressed.

alx

alx

Soldato
What's the phone signal like on the 5X? I know it's a subjective question but I've currently got a OnePlus One which I find awful for signal and I want to change because of this. The granite buildings in Aberdeen don't help but the OnePlus One isn't known for its signal strength either.

Soldato
What's the phone signal like on the 5X? I know it's a subjective question but I've currently got a OnePlus One which I find awful for signal and I want to change because of this. The granite buildings in Aberdeen don't help but the OnePlus One isn't known for its signal strength either.

What network are you on? I'm with BT Mobile (EE) and have found their signal and speeds to be really good around the city, far better than Three.

Soldato

Pretty solid in my experience...o2

alx

alx

Soldato
What network are you on? I'm with BT Mobile (EE) and have found their signal and speeds to be really good around the city, far better than Three.

I'm with Three.

I'm fairly certain my signal issues are partly down to my OnePlus One as when I put my sim in another phone it generally improves, and my signal always seems worse than everyone elses.

I'll probably order a 5X via Amazon, and if the signal is still rubbish I'll return it.

Thanks for the replies guys :).

Soldato
I'm with Three.

I'm fairly certain my signal issues are partly down to my OnePlus One as when I put my sim in another phone it generally improves, and my signal always seems worse than everyone elses.

I'll probably order a 5X via Amazon, and if the signal is still rubbish I'll return it.

Thanks for the replies guys :).

My mate is also on Three with a N5X and never heard him complain once. We are about 10 miles inland of Aberdeen centre. I can ask him if he has seen any issues if you like.

Soldato
I'm with Three.

Might have already been said but the OPO doesn't support all of Three's 4G bands.

alx

alx

Soldato
My mate is also on Three with a N5X and never heard him complain once. We are about 10 miles inland of Aberdeen centre. I can ask him if he has seen any issues if you like.

Thanks, would be appreciated :)

Might have already been said but the OPO doesn't support all of Three's 4G bands.

Yep, this probably has a noticeable impact on signal - the OPO also has less 3G bands than the 5X so it may be a contributing factor as well.

Definitely leaning towards a 5X.

Back
Top Bottom