Associate
OP
New screenshot leaked over at macrumors

nexus-51.jpg

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1630784&page=17

Edit; opps above poster beat me to it.

Associate
OP
Seriously I don't see the problem not having a SD card slot.. I know it's a added bonus. But since owning a nexus 4 since its launch.. I've not needed one.. Never run out of space.. With unlimited data and cloud storage and streaming I personally never had any issue.

Can't wait for the nexus 5!

Soldato
Seriously I don't see the problem not having a SD card slot.. I know it's a added bonus. But since owning a nexus 4 since its launch.. I've not needed one.. Never run out of space.. With unlimited data and cloud storage and streaming I personally never had any issue.

Can't wait for the nexus 5!

so lets say you work in a big city like me - london, where data reception is rubbish for w/e reason and in some parts ill get a steady ish 3-4mb down from my EE/orange/w/e connection yet when I get home or on my way it drops to low 0.4mb or even 0.1mb.. how am I going to stream all that awesome music I need right there right then? can you see where the problem arises ? just because YOU don't need it doesn't mean that others don't so its a problem for some and it isn't for others and IMO covering as much of the market as possible should be the aim but google at the same time wants to push cloud services and I'm 99% sure they will release 8gb and 16gb versions again which to me are genuinely pointless! as 32gb is the LEAST I need for a media device.

Soldato
so lets say you work in a big city like me - london, where data reception is rubbish for w/e reason and in some parts ill get a steady ish 3-4mb down from my EE/orange/w/e connection yet when I get home or on my way it drops to low 0.4mb or even 0.1mb.. how am I going to stream all that awesome music I need right there right then? can you see where the problem arises ? just because YOU don't need it doesn't mean that others don't so its a problem for some and it isn't for others and IMO covering as much of the market as possible should be the aim but google at the same time wants to push cloud services and I'm 99% sure they will release 8gb and 16gb versions again which to me are genuinely pointless! as 32gb is the LEAST I need for a media device.

This is exactly the problem I face and the reason I couldn't go for the Nexus 4. I listen to a lot of podcasts and music at work but where I work there is virtually no mobile internet...by that I mean I might be able to receive an email but there is no chance of downloading anything or streaming anything as it's very slow and very intermittent.

As such I download everything to my phone via my wifi at home (the mobile internet in Maidstone is also pretty poor, despite it being the county town...), and copy a good selection of my music to the phone.

The last time I changed phones I initially opted for the HTC One X but the version I was given was a 16gb one as that was all phones4u stocked. With the OS in palce I had something like 9GB of storage left... having come from a desire z with an SD card slot, at that time I had 12gb of podcasts and about 10GB of music, so the One X was useless to me and I changed to the Galaxy S3 purely because it had an SD slot.

The use of cloud services would be lovely if the mobile network over here was actually any good but in a lot of places it is so patchy and unrealiable it's just not realistic and Google are shooting themselves in the foot not including an sd slot in their devices!

Man of Honour
They're not shooting themselves in the foot as they don't want to compete with the other android device manufacturers. I will only buy this if there is a 32gb version though.

Man of Honour
They could do with fixing the backwards external SD implementation in Android either way though.
I've just placed my mobile recycling order for my current phone though so the price should still be valid by the time the Nexus is announced and I can decide if I want it.

Soldato
Some details on the camera, the 6 different images with different focus points sound really interesting.

http://www.myce.com/news/exclusive-technical-details-on-the-nexus-5-camera-69032/

It's great to see that optical image stabilisation is included! The dynamic image focus seems pretty cool and could be useful in certain situations.

We really need an improvement in software though, the stock camera app really is lacking versus the Samsung/HTC offerings and stock Android appears to fail at post-processing too.

Associate
I would take that with a pinch of salt, other devices use that sensor without the DigitalOptics stuff they're talking about (Meizu MX3 for instance).

Just looks like they've seen that the DigitalOptics MEMs camera uses the IMX179 and therefore the N5 must have all the extra stuff too.

Associate
OP

Then the nexus isn't for you... Unfortunately.. Plenty of other options out there for what you need.. Hopefully the 5 will have OTG so you can use the USB slot of added extras such as memory and stuff.

Soldato
But it so easily could be for him, if Google could just give an option, even at a slightly higher price, for 32gb

They really do need a 32GB, given how cheap it is now (Looking at the price difference for the N7) it shouldn't be an issue. I'm hoping for a base 16GB version with a 32GB upgrade.

I also understand Google really wants to push the cloud but it won't really work, a lot of people travel and you won't have consistent data (or no data), most countries have capped data. It just isn't a great experience, but it is the future.

Soldato
If I'm travelling then I always have stored locally something to listen to. I don't need all my music collection to be available everywhere, and when at work or home I have wifi. Travelling to central London tomorrow morning from the Thames Valley and I know I'll have something to listen to on the way on Beyondpod or an album I've quickly downloaded locally if I decide I want music before getting on the tube.

Caporegime
No SD card and crap/no data connection then just use USB OTG (can get extremely tiny USB drives)

Although knowing google they probably won't support it out of the box and you will need to root and buy an extra cable etc. so a bit more faff will be required....

I will be surprised if google release a 32GB option.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom