• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Coming This Summer Featuring 3072 CUDA Cores and 6GB of GDDR5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
3x970 for 1 980Ti does seem rather silly to be fair, does the 0.5 slow ram make you want to cry those pennies away that bad :D

"just kidding" while i understand wanting to go sli 980ti seems tempting with tri sli 970's woud you not rather wait a while? the time to sell your 970's has passed once performance news hits of the 980ti i see the 960 to 980 series of cards taking a price dump in a big way as people try and shift them on.We also have no idea yet if they gimped the vram again.
uouFhnX.jpg

this springs to mind as many have you have this approach before even finding out what the card is like.

If the performance of 2x 980Ti with a slight OC can match the potential of 3 3x970 then I am pretty sure I'll do the change...because then I can throw in a 3 980Ti later on too.
As for the time has passed for 970s to sell I am not convinced. Nvidia doesn't really have any competition yet so they can easily put the 980Ti in the price segment right between 980 and Titan X and hereby make 0 price adjustments - and frankly I think that is was is going to happen. I don't think we'll see cheaper 980/970's before AMD throws something in the ring that will challenge tha 980Ti and 980 price and performance wise.

Soldato
This bit doesn't look good :(

Ramgate - all over again :eek:

"Finally, since the GTX 980 Ti uses a cut down version of the GM200 GPU
this will very likely mean that the card will have a two segment memory system like the GTX 970.
We don’t know the exact proportions of the memory segments, but we estimate that something like 5.5GB + 0.5GB is likely.
Thankfully, because the 980 Ti has a lot more memory than the GTX 970 to begin with,
this should not be an issue, as 5.5GB is plenty of memory to begin with.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-980-ti-specs-benchmarks/#ixzz3awRcuiIM

Do you understand actually how the HBM is utilised on the chip?
If optimised properly it has potential to be 3x faster than GDDR5 which means the frame buffer switch
would be so fast that you technically could never see a frame buffer limit again.
Theretical until we see bench mark but 4gb of HBM could technically keep up with the titan x's 12Gb,
we are also reaching a limit on GDDR5 tech it's already been covered that simply adding more and more
will not suffice as the power requirements and utilisation is to great.
There is a lot of info out there about HBM and what it may mean for the GPU industry

Even now when hitting frame buffer limit the excess gets shunted so we suffer a loss in FPS,
In HBM that should be a non issue which is why so much time (nearly 7 years) and money has gone into making it work. this could be AMD's trump card,
also AMD are apparently 1 year ahead of Nvidia in regards to HBM technology

Good shout :)

No one on here knows how HBM works exactly.

The next few weeks is going to be very interesting, really looking forward to this card.

Last edited:
Associate

I don't believe this benchmark. Apparently a sufficiently overclocked 980ti can beat a TX and is double the performance of a 970. And according to this, the 970 is beat by the 290x, when in real world applications, the 970 does better in most scenarios, even when crippled b the loss of 0.5GB VRAM. Also, they mention new Hawaii cards (R9 380?)... nah. Can't be real. Though if this is anything to go by then we gotta think about prices.

Some folk have been optimistic and have said £550-600 and 980 price drops. The cynic in me disagrees. AMD haven't yet released their new cards and Nvidia know they can milk the impatient folks (who are willing to buy the card before the reviews/real-world-benchmarks have been released). They won't price the 980ti in such a way that they'll have to shuffle down the prices of current cards. They might do for the R9 3XX release. I bet £699 at least. Cos if its below £600 and it does perform twice as well as a 970, I may just buy one. And in that case, it would be a Titan X usurper, Nvidia might as well rename such a card the Nvidia Zeus.

On the AMD side of things, the Hawaii Pro apparently does worse than a 290x (and therefore worse than a 970) and the Hawaii XT is above. Once again, it comes down to pricing. If Hawaii Pro is £250+ then AMD have lost that ground. The XT could be the interesting one. I'd expect it to be priced £300-£500, given the competition, but again, my cynical side thinks it will be priced at 980 levels.

All this speculation is going to mean jack when the 980ti actually releases (next week according to some) and I'm looking forward to it.

Soldato
The first card to use HBM, the 390x, will be crippled by a 4GB VRAM limit. Not many sane/intelligent users pay top dollar for a 4GB card that's effectively limited to 1080P for the most recent/demanding games.

Once the second generation of HBM is released, which removes the 4GB limit, then we're talking. Though I suspect NVIDIA will be first to release a 2nd gen HBM GPU.......

Can anyone offer some proof of 4GB not enough for 2560x1440 please.

Soldato
This bit doesn't look good :(

Ramgate - all over again :eek:

"Finally, since the GTX 980 Ti uses a cut down version of the GM200 GPU
this will very likely mean that the card will have a two segment memory system like the GTX 970.
We don’t know the exact proportions of the memory segments, but we estimate that something like 5.5GB + 0.5GB is likely.
Thankfully, because the 980 Ti has a lot more memory than the GTX 970 to begin with,
this should not be an issue, as 5.5GB is plenty of memory to begin with.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-980-ti-specs-benchmarks/#ixzz3awRcuiIM

What? That's not the same as the GTX970... Wcctech should know this since they commented on it..

The GTX970 had partially disabled a ROP/memory controller partition. GTX980Ti is a standard Shader cut.
It's also a completely different GPU!!

Last edited:
Permabanned
I am ready for 2x GTX 980Ti's on release - if the price is fair :) I already got £620 ready for one card, and selling the 3x 970 should cover most of the second card.

:(

I don't recall what the difference between the 780 and the ti was when it was released but I was hoping that a reference 980ti would be £550 or less and the non reference would be £650 or less.

We haven't seen any movement in price for the 980 from retailers, the only recent addition was including free games and I have just seen one retailer offering 3 games (Witcher 3, GTAV and Batman AO) therefore my guess is probably wrong. Still a lot of money for a GPU.

Man of Honour
What? That's not the same as the GTX970... Wcctech should know this since they commented on it..

The GTX970 had partially disabled a ROP/memory controller partition. GTX980Ti is a standard Shader cut.
It's also a completely different GPU!!

This

NVidia will not make the same mistake again.

As to 4gb on the Fiji cards, however anyone dresses it up it comes down to this, if you need 5gb to draw a frame this applies what ever type of memory you use.

HBM may be able to shave a tiny bit off the amount needed but this will be hard to measure using something like GPUZ, we are talking something like 0.1 or 0.2gb not 4 or 8gb saved.

Having said that the Fiji cards are going to be fantastic for 1080p and 1440p which most people use, the only people I see having any problems are the ones who spend all day running an obscure benchmark trying to break the cards. I am sure there will be at least one posting on overclock.net very soon.:D

Man of Honour
If you need more memory space than there is VRAM it has to be stored somewhere (ignoring compression) and the bottleneck becomes the speed of that storage if its being shuttled in and out of another media like system RAM no matter how fast the VRAM is.

Can anyone offer some proof of 4GB not enough for 2560x1440 please.

Right now off the top of my head only GTA V with all advanced options maxed exceeds 4GB at 2560x1440 but a few games get close so its not particularly future proof any more.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hoping the benchmark figures above are accurate. The FS figures above are pretty similair to what i currently get with overclocked 780 sli, albeit theyre only ever clocked for benchmarks due to temp issues.

Associate
Thinking about the upgrade as well, but I can't point to a single game that will push graphics beyond GTA V (I mean, there might be a new gpu series out for when the horse power will be needed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom