• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Coming This Summer Featuring 3072 CUDA Cores and 6GB of GDDR5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'll be waiting for an 8/10/12GB card, not worth spending that money on just 6GB, especially when you consider that AMD's current gen cards already have 8GB available for likely less than half the price of this 980TI.

Maybe AMD will release a GDDR5 version of the 390, with 8 or 12GB options, we'll have to see :)

I do find it amusing how some believe they know the exact performance of the 390 before anything is confirmed, makes for good popcorn reading :)

Caporegime
They're getting beaten to release. Again.

I really thought Nvidia would wait. Maybe they know something about these new AMD cards that we don't?

Either way I decided the other day to give hardware a miss for a while so I won't be buying either. I'll wait until they're down to bargain bucket prices before spending any more now.

Buying a Nitro RC car to race on the beach instead.

I honestly think they are seeing the disgruntled AMD users and grabbing the Bull by the horns and trying to win them across. A good move in reality and you don't even need to know what the 390X can achieve.

Soldato
I'll be waiting for an 8/10/12GB card, not worth spending that money on just 6GB, especially when you consider that AMD's current gen cards already have 8GB available for likely less than half the price of this 980TI.

Maybe AMD will release a GDDR5 version of the 390, with 8 or 12GB options, we'll have to see :)

I do find it amusing how some believe they know the exact performance of the 390 before anything is confirmed, makes for good popcorn reading :)

i doubt you will see that now once HBM comes into play

Soldato
i doubt you will see that now once HBM comes into play

The first card to use HBM, the 390x, will be crippled by a 4GB VRAM limit. Not many sane/intelligent users pay top dollar for a 4GB card that's effectively limited to 1080P for the most recent/demanding games.

Once the second generation of HBM is released, which removes the 4GB limit, then we're talking. Though I suspect NVIDIA will be first to release a 2nd gen HBM GPU.......

Caporegime
The first card to use HBM, the 390x, will be crippled by a 4GB VRAM limit. Not many sane/intelligent users pay top dollar for a 4GB card that's effectively limited to 1080P for the most recent/demanding games.

Used one have you? They're also utilising new frame buffer optomisations, 4 gig might not be the supposed "crippling spec" you think it might be.

Soldato
oooh oooh oooh, finally some competition!! Looks like AMD might be up for the challenge!

And it's great seeing actual pics of the 980ti to confirm it does exist.

£600 quid and slightly slower than a titan X with 6GB of vram is my guess. Hopefully the 390x will force the price closer to £500 though.

Associate
oooh oooh oooh, finally some competition!! Looks like AMD might be up for the challenge!

And it's great seeing actual pics of the 980ti to confirm it does exist.

£600 quid and slightly slower than a titan X with 6GB of vram is my guess. Hopefully the 390x will force the price closer to £500 though.

You all wet ? :D

Caporegime
I think AMDMatt argued that 4GB is not enough for 4K back when Nvidia released 4GB cards and AMD released 8GB cards.

Is 4GB suddenly enough again now?

4gb gddr 5 isn't the same thing as 4gb hbm with frame buffer optomisations, so it could make it a card for 4k. But again, i don't know for certain and neither do you, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Man of Honour

Once the second generation of HBM is released, which removes the 4GB limit, then we're talking. Though I suspect NVIDIA will be first to release a 2nd gen HBM GPU.......

Most people game @1080p or sometimes 1440p

For the above a single Fiji card with 4gb HBM will be ideal and NVidia will struggle to match it. At the above resolutions I think the 980ti will lose out 90% of the time.

Associate
IMO

4GB means 4GB GDDR5 or HBM (not trolling or something just thought it would be funny to mention)

Doubt that the differences would be more than give or take 10% on VRAM usage with frame buffer optimization and all that other witchcraft.

Soldato
4gb gddr 5 isn't the same thing as 4gb hbm with frame buffer optomisations, so it could make it a card for 4k. But again, i don't know for certain and neither do you, so we'll just have to wait and see.

So they can store 5.5GB data in 4GB of HBM memory?

It will be interesting to see though you're right. Although I'm sure some places mention that there might be 8GB versions, do we know if HBM is currently limited to 4GB or not?

Associate
Basically what a lot of people undecided on the pretty overpriced 980 were waiting for. Titan X with a couple hundred less Cuda cores = TX performance with a reasonable OC. Ok it has half the vram but most people running sane settings (no 8x MSAA @ 2160p) would sooner be bottlenecked by core performance than vram. The AIB versions like G1 will most likely have stoock TX performance out of the box. New 1440p king.

NVIDIA have no mercy, weeing on Fiji's hype. this will sell like crazy around the £600 mark. Almost like having TX performance without the horrible $999 price tag + the horrible tax and + UK price gauge bonus tax.

Man of Honour
If I were in the market for a new graphics card and both the Titan X and 980ti were available I would still go for the Titan X.

This is only my personal choice and most people would have different criteria to me.

Soldato

Do you understand actually how the HBM is utilised on the chip? If optimised properly it has potential to be 3x faster than GDDR5 which means the frame buffer switch would be so fast that you technically could never see a frame buffer limit again. Theretical until we see bench mark but 4gb of HBM could technically keep up with the titan x's 12Gb, we are also reaching a limit on GDDR5 tech it's already been covered that simply adding more and more will not suffice as the power requirements and utilisation is to great. There is a lot of info out there about HBM and what it may mean for the GPU industry

Even now when hitting frame buffer limit the excess gets shunted so we suffer a loss in FPS, In HBM that should be a non issue which is why so much time (nearly 7 years) and money has gone into making it work. this could be AMD's trump card, also AMD are apparently 1 year ahead of Nvidia in regards to HBM technology

Apparently tho it could spell a end to changing thermal paste or cooler as the interposer is wafer thin apparently

Last edited:
Soldato
I am ready for 2x GTX 980Ti's on release - if the price is fair :) I already got £620 ready for one card, and selling the 3x 970 should cover most of the second card.

3x970 for 1 980Ti does seem rather silly to be fair, does the 0.5 slow ram make you want to cry those pennies away that bad :D

"just kidding" while i understand wanting to go sli 980ti seems tempting with tri sli 970's woud you not rather wait a while? the time to sell your 970's has passed once performance news hits of the 980ti i see the 960 to 980 series of cards taking a price dump in a big way as people try and shift them on.We also have no idea yet if they gimped the vram again.
uouFhnX.jpg

this springs to mind as many have you have this approach before even finding out what the card is like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom