Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Soldato
Does anyone NOT get on with an HM Aeron? I tried one a couple of times and just can't. I find the mesh not comfortable.
My brother has one and the mesh is just uncomfortable after a while, the recline is superb nothing like it but the width of the seat can cause issue if its not correct size, hence why they have 3 sizes. I much prefer the embody but whish it had adjustable lumbar support.With chairs there is always a compromise somewhere.

Last edited:
Associate
From experience with my Aeron now, I think part of the issue with the mesh on the Aeron is that after you sit in it for a while (multiple hours on end without a break by standing up and going around doing other stuff for at least 15 minutes), your body basically has sagged into it and hence it feels hard as the elasticity can only go far before it becomes plastic and needs to resist (feels hard) and this puts what feels like hard surface pressure on your behind rather than something that gives and pushes back a bit for comfort. So anyone who sits for many hours and doesn't have a decent amount of padding on their rear end is going to find any mesh eventually to be an issue. And even then you need to take a break every so often so that your own rear end "resets" and can sit on the mesh again.

If you are going to sit for many hours without getting up, something else (cushioned) is likely more suitable for you, where after fidgeting a bit there's some push back and give so it doesn't feel as hard on your behind.

This of course only talks about the mesh. If you've not got the right size Aeron, you're likely to end up having the hard plastic edges dig into your legs, and that won't be fun either. In this case, what I'd recommend is to hop into their showroom if you can and try it out. If the edges don't dig into you, then if you're OK with the mesh from initial sitting, all you really need to do is adjust your sitting times and in theory the breaks should allow your behind to recover and then be able to plonk back in again without discomfort.

Associate
Does anyone NOT get on with an HM Aeron? I tried one a couple of times and just can't. I find the mesh not comfortable.

I purchased an Aeron Remastered Size B over the Xmas holidays.
I found the seat pan to be too narrow and also found the back to be too low, so the plastic edges were quite uncomfortable. I'm 5"11 and ~190lbs.
I didn't realise until I sat in it, how often I sit with my legs spread apart (oooerrr), something to consider if you are thinking of getting one.

I managed to sell it on and have ordered the Logitech Gaming Embody to try out, should be here Monday/Tuesday.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Steelcase series 1/2 are solid chairs at that sort of price range for mesh back. Other options in that used price range would be the Herman Miller Verus Triflex and Humanscale Different World. The new option would be the Flexispot Flex Chair BS8.
Refurbished Steelcase Series 1 arrived today, £190 delivered from an Ebay seller. I'm pleased so far, seems plenty adjustable for what I need. I feel like it's encouraging me to naturally sit in a much healthier position than my Ikea Malkolm which is about 8 or 9 years old.

Associate
Refurbished Steelcase Series 1 arrived today, £190 delivered from an Ebay seller. I'm pleased so far, seems plenty adjustable for what I need. I feel like it's encouraging me to naturally sit in a much healthier position than my Ikea Malkolm which is about 8 or 9 years old.
Nice! I had to Google Ikea Malkolm and having looked at the pics, your Steelcase will be a night and day difference.

Soldato
Black Friday Embody Gaming chair now about £1100, I'll probably order
Did you go for it? Was it worth it if you did?

Looking at one but £1500 is a lot, but like a mattress, it is an investment in health and well-being more than anything.

I was in the market for a "Gaming Chair" but they do all look pretty appalling re the ergonomics apart from the embody.

Soldato

Me. None of their sizes were good for me. The B is too small and the C too large. I did a tour of the various London showrooms, went to Steelcase, Haworth, HM. I ended up going for a Logitech Embody, and other than the fact I'd very occaisionally like a forward tilt option I think it's brilliant. I've done stupid 24 hour Destiny Day 1 raids in this thing and felt great. Also been impressed how it's held up visually. Going into (I think) my third year with it now and it still looks great.

Soldato
Me. None of their sizes were good for me. The B is too small and the C too large. I did a tour of the various London showrooms, went to Steelcase, Haworth, HM. I ended up going for a Logitech Embody, and other than the fact I'd very occaisionally like a forward tilt option I think it's brilliant. I've done stupid 24 hour Destiny Day 1 raids in this thing and felt great. Also been impressed how it's held up visually. Going into (I think) my third year with it now and it still looks great.

£1500 for an Embody though?

Soldato
£1500 for an Embody though?
According to the invoice in my emails I paid £1083.75 for it in 2021 direct from HM. Pretty sure they had one of their 'gaming' sales on at the time. Would I pay £1500 for it now? Given the amount of time I spend at my computer now with WFH yeah, I would.

Soldato
According to the invoice in my emails I paid £1083.75 for it in 2021 direct from HM. Pretty sure they had one of their 'gaming' sales on at the time. Would I pay £1500 for it now? Given the amount of time I spend at my computer now with WFH yeah, I would.

I respect that. I'm not sure if I could drop 1K on a chair. If one existed that felt like sitting on a cloud and was perfect in every way, maybe. I've never sat in a computer desk style chair and got that "wow" feeling....ever.

Soldato
I respect that. I'm not sure if I could drop 1K on a chair. If one existed that felt like sitting on a cloud and was perfect in every way, maybe. I've never sat in a computer desk style chair and got that "wow" feeling....ever.
The best thing I can say about this Embody is that I barely notice it at all. I set it up, once, and I sit in a slight recline as suggested. I can go hours upon hours without thinking about what I'm sat in, or having any discomfort, and I get up from it without feeling like a creaky mess.

Associate
The best thing I can say about this Embody is that I barely notice it at all. I set it up, once, and I sit in a slight recline as suggested. I can go hours upon hours without thinking about what I'm sat in, or having any discomfort, and I get up from it without feeling like a creaky mess.

How do you find the seat pan? I have the Logitech Gaming Edition boxed up in the garage waiting to be collected by HM.
Just couldn't get on with it, found the seat pan to be a nightmare, it felt like there were bands of pressure points across it.
The back support is unreal though, shame.

The search continues :(

Back
Top Bottom